which job looks more impressive Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
au bon pain

New

which job looks more impressive

Post by au bon pain » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:21 pm

public broadcasting service (pbs) - i work at the head quarters as a temp but they plan to make my position permanent . pro; perm position + benefits. con; the work is primarily administrative.
or

public media corp fellowhip - 1 of fifteen selected as a fellow to create a media campaign, outreach strategy in a underprivileged school, community center or something of the sort. pro: i can create my own schedule and the work is way more engaging and hands-on. and it pays $100 more a month than pbs con: its only for 6 months so in dec i'll be out of a job

background: i plan on starting law school in fall 2011. i have a pub interest background w/ sig exp w/ other pub interest organizations.
Last edited by au bon pain on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

merichard87

Silver

Re: which job looks more impressive

Post by merichard87 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:28 pm

Personally I would go with the fellowship. Neither one is going to be a game changer but the fellowship looks more interesting and would probably give you more to talk about.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:29 pm

Whatever pays more.

au bon pain

New

Post by au bon pain » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:01 pm

thanks guys/girls...anyone else?

tru

Bronze

Post by tru » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:03 am

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goawaybee

Bronze

Post by goawaybee » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:00 pm

au bon pain wrote:public broadcasting service (pbs) - i work at the head quarters as a temp but they plan to make my position permanent . pro; perm position + benefits. con; the work is primarily administrative.
or

public media corp fellowhip - 1 of fifteen selected as a fellow to create a media campaign, outreach strategy in a underprivileged school, community center or something of the sort. pro: i can create my own schedule and the work is way more engaging and hands-on. con: its only for 6 months so in dec i'll be out of a job

background: i plan on starting law school in fall 2011. i have a pub interest background w/ sig exp w/ other pub interest organizations.
your post rephrased:

PBS- Booorinngggg... but I am getting paid, so tired of being broke. The job will suck, I just know it, but again I am getting paid and have benefits.

PMCF- now why can't I just get paid for this. I would much rather control my schedule and pilot my own ship. I like to create and have the chance to make the world better. So much better than sitting in a cubicle pushing papers around and scanning TLS forum. DAMN, come dec. I will still be broke and have no benefits etc...to have to go find another job. I could use my time wisely and study for the LSAT if need be, have a good idea of where I am headed next fall and maybe cram in a bunch of fun things to do between now and then. I could wait tables or tutor for LSAT on the side, flip drinks, whatever.

Either way I don't think it is an "in/out/WL" type of thing. The fellowship comes off a little "better" but I think most people see plenty of both when reviewing 1000's of apps.

Go with your gut.

Son of Cicero

Bronze

Post by Son of Cicero » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:18 am

PBS. And don't go to law school.

World B. Free

Bronze

Post by World B. Free » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:20 am

I'd say which ever one you think you'd enjoy most.. Also, the one that pays more should be taken into serious consideration. (I think the fellowship sounds better.)

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:40 am

Let me tell you, as the proud owner of an absolutely beautiful, well padded, substantive, sleek and shiny resume' filled with legal work, fellowships and leadership positions....

....didn't affect my damn cycle one bit.

don't fucking worry about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”