Which non-T14 school would you go for sticker? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Hiei

New

Re: Which non-T14 school would you go for sticker?

Post by Hiei » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:50 pm

IAFG wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
rad law wrote:I would only pay sticker for HYSCCN.
^This
so you're saying someone who misses HYSCCN and somehow doesn't get $ at MVP/Duke/NU should just not go to LS?
Unless you're trying to work in NYC, there isn't going to be a difference in career prospects at NYU as opposed to MVPB.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:53 pm

IAFG wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
^This
so you're saying someone who misses HYSCCN and somehow doesn't get $ at MVP/Duke/NU should just not go to LS?
I'm saying for me personally. The only reason I would consider paying sticker at T6 is because my dream is legal academia and these schools would give me the best shot (NYU at full cost would be a huge struggle for me since it probably doesn't open the door that much wider than MVPB would though. What might be the tipping point would be that they have the top philosophy dept in the nation).

And instead of not go to law school (and if UT/Vandy/UCLA with money was not an option), I would rather go to Emory, WUSTL, Illinois, BU, ND, or GW for free (or close to it) depending on where I think I would work.

I went into this cycle with the thought of I would only go to T6 at sticker, only MVPDN with close to half scholarship, or Texas. I ending up choosing Texas and the chance of very little debt afterward over one of MVP at half cost. Even if I get off a CCN WL, I would most likely stick with the idea of very little debt.

For someone who knows they want and would love biglaw, this situation could be completely different though.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:58 pm

Hiei wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
^This
Unless you're trying to work in NYC, there isn't going to be a difference in career prospects at NYU as opposed to MVPB.
The people I've talked to who work for top Texas firms disagree with this. It's a small sample size for sure, but every one of them told me that, assuming Texas ties, CCN>MVP which was pretty close if not even with UT (with 1 person telling me UT had the advantage).

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:58 pm

IAFG wrote: see: LtK
I can't find this on LSN. Link? Can't see what I'd do without more info, like when did he/she apply, what "Why X" essays were done, etc.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:01 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:04 pm

rad law wrote:
IAFG wrote: see: LtK
I can't find this on LSN. Link? Can't see what I'd do without more info, like when did he/she apply, what "Why X" essays were done, etc.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/LieutKaffee

Hiei

New

Post by Hiei » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:05 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:The people I've talked to who work for top Texas firms disagree with this. It's a small sample size for sure, but every one of them told me that, assuming Texas ties, CCN>MVP which was pretty close if not even with UT (with 1 person telling me UT had the advantage).
CC yes, NYU no. If you look at Texas firms you will see that more of them do OCI at CLS and Chicago than NYU, and CC are both better represented in Texas firms than NYU are. NYU's reputation outside of NYC is more on a par with MVPB; there's a reason NYU consistently has lower lawyer/judge assessment scores than CC (actually lower than UVA for the past 7 years as well).

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:07 pm

Hiei wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
^This
Yea but you can always work in NYC if you hit below median.

taw856

Bronze

Post by taw856 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:16 pm

Question: Is the consensus view that someone with sticker at a T30 could have gotten more money elsewhere still applicable for splitters?

Not trying to use my one data point as the rule since it could just as easily be the exception, but my experience was that even the TTT school I applied to didn't make me a significantly better scholarship offer than my best T30 offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:19 pm

taw856 wrote:Question: Is the consensus view that someone with sticker at a T30 could have gotten more money elsewhere still applicable for splitters?

Not trying to use my one data point as the rule since it could just as easily be the exception, but my experience was that even the TTT school I applied to didn't make me a significantly better scholarship offer than my best T30 offer.
Yea it doesn't apply to splitters, because your GPA is so crappy, it harms even the most horrific TTT's GPA medians. And to a school with an LSAT 75% of 160, your 170 is just as good as a 161. T30's need your LSAT more. It's worth it to them.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:22 pm

I would pay sticker for Vandy, UT, or SMU.

taw856

Bronze

Post by taw856 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:25 pm

While I'm not necessarily thrilled I can't expect a full ride even at a TTT, I will say that it's made the process easier. Might as well go to the better school if the price tag is gonna be about the same.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:28 pm

taw856 wrote:While I'm not necessarily thrilled I can't expect a full ride even at a TTT, I will say that it's made the process easier. Might as well go to the better school if the price tag is gonna be about the same.
Made paying sticker at NU easier to swallow for me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:55 pm

GW Law is worth sticker. Hands down.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:56 pm

GermX wrote:GW Law is worth sticker. Hands down.
How many rising 3L's have SA's at big law firms?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:06 pm

GermX wrote:GW Law is worth sticker. Hands down.
I think everyone on TLS has that one poster they just cannot stand. Someone who rubs them the wrong way and you want to cyber-punch in the face every time the post.

For me, that guy is GermX. The thing is, I don't think I'm alone in feeling this way.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:09 pm

I would pay sticker at Vandy, Texas, and UCLA. After that I'd pay sticker for any state schools where I would be interested in working (i.e. UGA, Tennessee, etc.) assuming I could get in-state for 2L & 3L.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:10 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Although SBL egregiously abused the word "totem pole," I agree wholeheartedly. I came into this cycle thinking I wouldn't pay sticker for anything but H/Y, and ended up turning down a T13 at sticker for a T30 full-ride.
If you don't mind my asking, where are you going NR?

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:19 pm

Meh, no idea, but in this economy pretty much everyone got fucked in the ass. Give it a few years and it'll all be clear as to which schools are worth it and which aren't. And with GW Law now a T-20 again, seems like the school is heading towards being worth sticker.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:22 pm

GermX wrote:
[strike]Meh, no idea, but in this economy pretty much everyone got fucked in the ass. Give it a few years and it'll all be clear as to which schools are worth it and which aren't. And with GW Law now a T-20 again, seems like the school is heading towards being worth sticker.[/strike]
--ImageRemoved--

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:22 pm

lol, too easy.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:26 pm

GermX wrote:[strike]lol,[/strike] all too easy.

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:28 pm

The funny thing is, romo is actually heading to GW and yet he heaps all this hate on it. Btw dude, I see you still haven't looked up the definition of sarcasm.

I suggest you do=).

MD/JD2B

Bronze

Post by MD/JD2B » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:16 am

Hastings, of course; why anywhere else at any price?

Tautology

Bronze

Post by Tautology » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:22 pm

GermX wrote:The funny thing is, romo is actually heading to GW and yet he heaps all this hate on it. Btw dude, I see you still haven't looked up the definition of sarcasm.

I suggest you do=).
False.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”