Which non-T14 school would you go for sticker? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Which non-T14 school would you go for sticker?

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:52 pm

I'm really curious as to what the TLS sentiment when it comes to attending a law school outside of the T14.

My test prep shows that I'll probably not break 170, so I'm looking at the T20. If you all could please offer your reasons as to why you've selected a particular non-T14 school worth attending at sticker, I'd be very thankful.

IAFG

Platinum

Re: Which non-T14 school would you go for sticker?

Post by IAFG » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:54 pm

BU

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:54 pm

EdmundBurke23 wrote:I'm really curious as to what the TLS sentiment when it comes to attending a law school outside of the T14.

My test prep shows that I'll probably not break 170, so I'm looking at the T20. If you all could please offer your reasons as to why you've selected a particular non-T14 school worth attending at sticker, I'd be very thankful.
None, but in a good economy maybe Vanderbilt for its portability. And maybe WUSTL since I love St. Louis and want to stay in the Midwest. But I wouldn't even pay sticker for G'town or Cornell ITE, let alone a non-T14.

What is your GPA?

mz253

Bronze

Post by mz253 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:55 pm

UCLA, USC, william and mary, uc davies, basically anything that's in top 30 and locate in warm place. no fordham. i am not looking for big law jobs. and i believe life balance is important.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:59 pm

EdmundBurke23 wrote:I'm really curious as to what the TLS sentiment when it comes to attending a law school outside of the T14.

Well, I wouldn't pay sticker anywhere in this economy short of HYS, but that doesn't mean there aren't some great schools in the top 20 or 30 schools. In that range, my top choices would most definitely be BU, Vandy, GW, and BC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mz253

Bronze

Post by mz253 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:00 pm

just out of curiosity, how many people get scholarship for law school? i thought law school and business school usually don't give scholarships at all.

dakatz wrote:

Well, I wouldn't pay sticker anywhere in this economy short of HYS, but that doesn't mean there aren't some great schools in the top 20 or 30 schools. In that range, my top choices would most definitely be BU, Vandy, GW, and BC.

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:08 pm

mz253 wrote:just out of curiosity, how many people get scholarship for law school? i thought law school and business school usually don't give scholarships at all.

dakatz wrote:

If you look at lawschoolnumbers.com you can see the stats for each individual school as far as finanicial aid goes (Granted these stats are a couple years out of date, but should give you a good baseline for comparison.) Some schools are a lot more generous than others.

To answer the original question, even if you don't break the 170's, with a score in the mid to upper 160's and a good GPA you can easily get at least some scholarship money at some T30's/20's. No reason to pay full price for a school ranked 18 if you can get good money at a school ranked 23.

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:10 pm

mz253 wrote:just out of curiosity, how many people get scholarship for law school? i thought law school and business school usually don't give scholarships at all.

dakatz wrote:

Actually probably the opposite. Law schools seem to love throwing money at people, as long as their numbers are high enough. If you're good enough to get into the T20, you're going to get scholarships. I couldn't break the T14, but even with a bunch of the T30 schools I got into, I got some good offers.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:11 pm

Quite honestly, I would go to a cheap state-Tier 3, (most likely) dominate the competition, and gun for a prosecution job before I took out 150-200k for a non-T14 Tier 1.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mz253

Bronze

Post by mz253 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:12 pm

wow, thanks for the information. but anyway, my top choice is UCLA because i really want to do entertainment law. since they are a state school and i'm international, they probably don't want to give me any money.

EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:45 pm

mz253 wrote:wow, thanks for the information. but anyway, my top choice is UCLA because i really want to do entertainment law. since they are a state school and i'm international, they probably don't want to give me any money.
what worries me is the fact that I'm international as well.

I want to secure employment in the United States, and I'm afraid that a non-t14 school will make that ever so difficult.

EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:48 pm

As to my GPA... it's 3.4

So even if I do get high 160s, I'm already out of the T14.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:42 am

EdmundBurke23 wrote:As to my GPA... it's 3.4

So even if I do get high 160s, I'm already out of the T14.
IMO, with a 3.4, your best bet is to hit 166 for Illinois or 167 for WUSTL. T20s like UCLA, USC, Vandy, and Texas aren't particularly friendly toward low GPAs.
Last edited by im_blue on Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

youpiiz

Bronze

Post by youpiiz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:43 am

vandy. heard the chicks are hot.

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:44 am

youpiiz wrote:vandy. heard the chicks are hot.

This is true. Too bad I got rejected. Vandy girls are insanely attractive/friendly

youpiiz

Bronze

Post by youpiiz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:45 am

chicoalto0649 wrote: This is true. Too bad I got rejected. Vandy girls are insanely attractive/friendly
met a couple who went there for ug and wasnt too impressed tho. im guessing thats self selection? only the less attractive ones would seek to exit vandyland?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:27 am

I would only pay sticker for HYSCCN.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:30 am

Vanderbilt. Maybe UCLA/USC if I was driven to work in California.

txhorn

Bronze

Post by txhorn » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:36 am

None. Killself is the best option in this situation

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:18 am

+1 for BU (even though they gave me 10k a year)

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:25 am

txhorn wrote:None. Killself is the best option in this situation
--ImageRemoved--

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

byunbee

Bronze

Post by byunbee » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:41 am

The closest you can get to a sure thing anymore ITE is HYS. I don't think I'd really consider going sticker anywhere else.

OP, if you could score close to a 170, you may be able to score some decent $ at an LSAT-heavy school like Illinois or WUSTL.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:22 am

My honest answer is either none or UCLA/Texas in-state.

Here's the thing, if you get into a good non-T14 school (let's say for the sake of discussion anything T30), you can pay the sticker price and probably be allright when it all shakes out. But getting into one of those schools means you're probably looking at some $$$ somewhere a little lower on the totem pole. ITE, it is worth compromising on ranking to drastically lower your debt load unless you're absolutely hell-bent on a federal clerkship or a biglaw job right out of the gate.

(Even then it's still probably a better idea to take the money, because there's no guarantee that your grades at a T15-30 will be what they need to be to get that clerkship/biglaw job).

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:04 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:My honest answer is either none or UCLA/Texas in-state.

Here's the thing, if you get into a good non-T14 school (let's say for the sake of discussion anything T30), you can pay the sticker price and probably be allright when it all shakes out. But getting into one of those schools means you're probably looking at some $$$ somewhere a little lower on the totem pole. ITE, it is worth compromising on ranking to drastically lower your debt load unless you're absolutely hell-bent on a federal clerkship or a biglaw job right out of the gate.

(Even then it's still probably a better idea to take the money, because there's no guarantee that your grades at a T15-30 will be what they need to be to get that clerkship/biglaw job).
Good advice right there. Exactly what I did. Its worked out pretty well thus far.

With a solid LSAT 167+ you can get good $$ at Emory. Though talk to RadLaw, Vandy basically matched Emory for him.

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:28 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:My honest answer is either none or UCLA/Texas in-state.

Yeah, pretty much my sentiments exactly. I might have considered Texas at sticker since I'm in-state.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”