Anybody plan on deferring?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Whatisthis

Anybody plan on deferring?

Postby Whatisthis » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:37 pm

I’ve had some unexpected expenses that have eaten away at my savings. Without this money, I don’t think I can move my family halfway across the country to attend school this fall.

So, I am trying to figure out how to apply for a deferral (at U of C specifically). I’ve searched the school’s website for a defferal request app., but so far I’ve found nothing.

Does anyone have any experience as far as deferring goes? I mean, do I just send admissions an email or something?

I’d really appreciate some help...

Thanks!

starstruck393

Re: Anybody plan on deferring?

Postby starstruck393 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:47 pm

I deferred. Especially if you another compelling reason, it can be a great option, and allows another year of maturity and real life experience to take into law school. Yeah, just email/call (probably call actually, that's more personal), explain your situation, and talk to them, see what your options are. Most will be reasonable and work with you if you have a legit issue. Also, it would probably be helpful to have an idea of what you'd be doing with your time off, they usually want to see/hear this...

Whatisthis

Postby Whatisthis » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:10 pm

starstruck393 wrote:I deferred. Especially if you another compelling reason, it can be a great option, and allows another year of maturity and real life experience to take into law school. Yeah, just email/call (probably call actually, that's more personal), explain your situation, and talk to them, see what your options are. Most will be reasonable and work with you if you have a legit issue. Also, it would probably be helpful to have an idea of what you'd be doing with your time off, they usually want to see/hear this...

Okay, so it sounds like there is no formal procedure? I guess I will call them tomorrow.

If I were to defer, I would be able to meet all the requirements for my CPA license and get another year of work experience. So I think I could benefit from deferring both financially and professionally.

I just really hope they'll let me defer. I have a wife and two children to support, and after a series of expensive freak incidents, I would find it very difficult to move them across the country. Hopefully, that's legit enough.

Anyhow, thank you for sharing your experience!

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:25 pm

It doesn't sound like you'd have much of a problem. Good luck!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”