3 years of undergrad = good enough?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rftdd888

3 years of undergrad = good enough?

Postby rftdd888 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:36 am

not that i would consider this, but i'm curious:

http://www.abanet.org/legaled/standards ... apter5.pdf

says that you must have a bachelors degree or 3/4s of the work required for one?

does this mean one could conceivably complete 3 years of college for 90 credits towards a degree, then dip out and go to law school?

Dany

Re: 3 years of undergrad = good enough?

Postby Dany » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:51 am

I think it's worded like that so that they can extend offers of admission to those still in UG. You still have to have a bachelor's to enroll.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:50 pm

You can graduate from undergrad in 3 years and go to law school. That's what I did.

rftdd888

Postby rftdd888 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:09 pm

alright, two different responses. any more certainty?

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:11 pm

nealric wrote:You can graduate from undergrad in 3 years and go to law school. That's what I did.

This is no diff then the other. You need a bachelors. How fast you do it is up to you.
/thread

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:52 pm

daesonesb wrote:
nealric wrote:You can graduate from undergrad in 3 years and go to law school. That's what I did.

This is no diff then the other. You need a bachelors. How fast you do it is up to you.
/thread

From what I recall you can attend some crappy LSs without a bachelors. Cooley comes to mind, but you wouldn't really want to attend any of them if you have any other options. Most will say you shouldn't attend them at all.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:28 pm

From Tulane's website:

Q-4. Do I need to complete my undergraduate degree?

A-4.
Tulane Law School is one of a handful of law schools that will allow exceptional students to begin law school without a baccalaureate degree. (We require 3/4 of the work toward a B.A. or B.S., and almost all of the credits must be in courses of substantial intellectual content.) To be admitted without a degree, students must have very strong academic records.

pjo

Postby pjo » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:35 pm

Honestly this is just kind of dumb. No offense. Just get/finish your bachelors degree. If not for any other reason, at least because it broadens your initial horizons and gives you something interesting to talk about. If you really want to go early, just finish it in 3 yrs. Regardless, even if you could go to law school without a bachelors, I think most firms would frown upon such a practice when it comes time to hire someone

Hookem09

Postby Hookem09 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:49 pm

eskimo wrote:I think it's worded like that so that they can extend offers of admission to those still in UG. You still have to have a bachelor's to enroll.

You need an undergraduate degree to enroll which is not limited to a bachelors.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:05 pm

Hookem09 wrote:
eskimo wrote:I think it's worded like that so that they can extend offers of admission to those still in UG. You still have to have a bachelor's to enroll.

"Standard 502. EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
(a) A law school shall require for admission to its J.D. degree program a bachelor’s
degree
, or successful completion of three-fourths of the work acceptable for a bachelor’s
degree
, from an institution that is accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the
Department of Education."
502 (b) goes on to say that anything else falls under "extraordinary circumstances." I was just leaving out the extraordinary circumstances clause, since those cases are rare.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:07 pm

eskimo wrote:
Hookem09 wrote:

(a) A law school shall require for admission to its J.D. degree program a bachelor’s
degree
, or successful completion of three-fourths of the work acceptable for a bachelor’s
degree
, from an institution that is accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the
502 (b) goes on to say that anything else falls under "extraordinary circumstances." I was just leaving out the extraordinary circumstances clause, since those cases are rare.

Yeah, but some schools you can attend without a Bachelor's degree or ever getting one... They just usually aren't worth attending.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:08 pm

I know, I just think that most schools that people discuss on TLS aren't those schools, so they're not really relevant in this case. :)

Hookem09

Postby Hookem09 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:10 pm

eskimo wrote:
Hookem09 wrote:

degree
degree

Exactly. I know some programs, I believe it's pharmacology (I think, let me research it) allows students to join the program either straight out of high school, two years of undergrad, or with a Bachelors degree. So some students graduate college without a Bachelor's but with a Pharm.D (Doctor of Pharmacy) which is acceptable for law schools and the ABA. Otherwise, why else would some schools like USC have a Pharm.D/JD program?

Yeah, but some schools you can attend without a Bachelor's degree or ever getting one... They just usually aren't worth attending.

I wouldn't call pharmacology schools "not worth attending". My brother makes $110,000 a year and he graduated from USC's school of pharmacy. He's 24 for what it's worth.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:26 pm

Hookem09 wrote:

I wouldn't call pharmacology schools "not worth attending". My brother makes $110,000 a year and he graduated from USC's school of pharmacy. He's 24 for what it's worth.

Law schools, dude. Law schools.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:44 pm

kalvano wrote:
Hookem09 wrote:

Law schools, dude. Law schools.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”