Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:59 pm

ITT Pillcounter is pissed his professional degree in an entirely different field isn't an admissions TKO.

Jackie O

Postby Jackie O » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:59 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Well ok you made a different thread in which you asked the same exact question and got the same exact answers. My apologies.

pretty bad but he's a newb give him a break - still not as bad as IHA's self obsessed threads imo

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:01 pm

Jackie O wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Well ok you made a different thread in which you asked the same exact question and got the same exact answers. My apologies.

pretty bad but he's a newb give him a break - still not as bad as IHA's self obsessed threads imo

Well there's being a n00b, then there's being petulant when you don't get different answers to the same question.

drgodfather

Postby drgodfather » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:03 pm

In no way am I asking the same question I asked in another thread, are you guys kidding me? Do you even know what the other thread is or are you just yelling fire with the rest of the crowd?

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:06 pm

In the other thread you referred to your pharmacy degree as a golden sword and then got mad that people didn't tell you how awesome you were for having it. In this thread you came up with a hypothetical situation about a pharmacy major vs. history major and then got mad when people didn't tell you how awesome the pharmacy major was.

Do you really want to split hairs here?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:11 pm

drgodfather wrote:In no way am I asking the same question I asked in another thread, are you guys kidding me? Do you even know what the other thread is or are you just yelling fire with the rest of the crowd?

Here is the no nonsense answer. Assuming you have the same GPA, and the same LSAT, and have the same softs. You might get into a school that the history major didn't. Maybe.

Go on law school numbers and look at charts for schools you want. Look at the area for your numbers. If nobody gets in, you aren't going to get it. If everyone gets in, you will. If its some get in, some don't, your pharm degree MIGHT help you.

But all adcoms aren't the same. One might be impressed, one might not be.

I'd recommend writing about wanting to do IP law in pharm, if you want to do that sort of thing. Adcoms love employable graduates.

I'd also recommend doing the part time thing, and working as pharm to pay for law school. Less risk that way.

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:17 pm

If you're so much smarter than the history major with a higher gpa then you'll smoke him at the LSAT. problem solved.

Postby 005618502 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:24 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
Jackie O wrote:
jt1341 wrote:Pharmacy major.... are you kidding me?? why would you even do it if you want to go to law school? It makes absolutly no sense. I dont understand why it would be a question.

And no the fact that it is a "DR" doesnt mean a thing, if you went to med school then it might mean something! But that may be the only thing that would waste more time then wasting 2 years for a pharmacy degree

And no pharmacy school is not even close to as difficult as and engineer degree. I started as a Biochem major and knew many Pharmacy majors as well as engineer majors, and pharmacy doesnt compare.

jt, the pharmacist --> lawyer route is not that crazy; there is even a society for it (ASPL)
there are many opportunities ranging from the FDA, patent law with pharma companies, representing pharmacists, etc

maybe in your experience it did not seem to compare because the first two years of pharmacy school are cake - it's the last 4 years (the professional years comparable to a grad school) that are rigorous. I will not make the claim that pharmacy is necessarily harder than engineering (though I think it's safe to say compared to some of the easy engineering majors) but it's definitely on the same playing field - almost all of my non-pharm friends are engineers, including my bf; I have a pretty good idea of the rigor required of both programs
please quit your sass, tyia :)

I knew a bunch of Biochem types who wanted to go into pharmacy, and they were mostly functionally retarded compared to the guys in my classes. In fact, a bunch of them failed out of my classes - we used to joke about how Biochem was basically the failed ChemE major.

You must go to a school with a poor science program? im not sure, but the fact is that people who want to become doctors often major in Biochem. Not ChemE.

So i think your comparison is greatly flawed

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:31 pm

jt1341 wrote:
You must go to a school with a poor science program? im not sure, but the fact is that people who want to become doctors often major in Biochem. Not ChemE.

ChemE is usually harder than BioChem. I suspect pre meds take biochem because its an easy hardish major.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:41 pm

Last edited by d34d9823 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 005618502 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:05 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
jt1341 wrote:

ChemE is usually harder than BioChem. I suspect pre meds take biochem because its an easy hardish major.

Yeah, I don't know if my school's ChemE was tough or our Biochem was easy or if we were par for the course. Probably 3/4 of our flunk-outs switched to Biochem.

Wow thats interesting, i dont get that vibe at all here. Well i also switched majors after 2 years so i may have left before it went into effect. Interesting

shoop

Postby shoop » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:48 pm

If you can cut it in pharmacy, why the FUCK would you consider law school? If I were even remotely good at hard sciences I would not be considering a career in the law. Pharmacists have ACE hours and make bank.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:23 pm

Jackie O wrote:
mallard wrote:Interesting stuff. It does seem like a lot of memorization with an applied component, which seems like decent prep for law.

I'm glad you think so - I do too.

Rikku - let me guess, CVS? not all pharmacies are like that, though I'll admit there are a lot of crap pharmacists out there
even as an intern I counseled at least a quarter of all patients on their medications, and I have never rung anyone out nor grabbed milk for anyone :)

Dr. Jacki O. I have this like... rash... down there. Can you take a look?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”