Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
drgodfather
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 11:20 pm

Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

Postby drgodfather » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:39 am

Someone told me that history majors have an advantage in law school admissions because of the amount of reading they do but I don't think that's the case. So I'll keep it simple: which would look better by itself, a Doctor of Pharmacy or a Bachelors degree in history?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

Postby im_blue » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:41 am

You'll most likely get a higher GPA in a 4-year history degree than a 6-year pharmacy degree with lots of science classes.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

Postby blurbz » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:41 am

It's not the major that matters, it's the GPA. That being said, I know many people in pharmacy school so I know that it is a tough program. If you can get the same GPA in PharmD as you can in History, it might look better. Additionally, doesn't a PharmD normally take 6 years to complete? Is it worth the extra time for you?

drgodfather
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

Postby drgodfather » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:43 am

Why would a 3.5 with a Bachelors look better than a 3.4 with a Doctorate?


By the way, since pharmacy is a professional undergrad degree all 6 years are counted in GPA. It's an exception to the "undergrad gpa only" rule since pharmacy isn't considered undergrad at all schools.

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

Postby JOThompson » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:44 am

drgodfather wrote:Someone told me that history majors have an advantage in law school admissions because of the amount of reading they do but I don't think that's the case. So I'll keep it simple: which would look better by itself, a Doctor of Pharmacy or a Bachelors degree in history?

Are you asking which *looks* better to adcomms or which actually best prepares you for law school?

I'd recommend going with the history degree if it means an ultimately higher GPA. If your goal is to become an attorney, don't waste an extra two years getting a PharmD IMO. Spend that extra time acquiring work experience, studying for the LSAT, whatever.

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

Postby NoleinNY » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:45 am

drgodfather wrote:Someone told me that history majors have an advantage in law school admissions because of the amount of reading they do but I don't think that's the case. So I'll keep it simple: which would look better by itself, a Doctor of Pharmacy or a Bachelors degree in history?


Numbers Centric Admissions: Whichever would be easiest to get a good GPA in.
"Holistic Approach" Admissions: Perhaps one that challeged you and makes you a better person?

Side Question: Didn't you say previously that you already had a D of P? And if so, wouldn't that meant he Bachelors degree in history wouldn't be by itself?

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

Postby blurbz » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:47 am

drgodfather wrote:Why would a 3.5 with a Bachelors look better than a 3.4 with a Doctorate?


By the way, since pharmacy is a professional undergrad degree all 6 years are counted in GPA. It's an exception to the "undergrad gpa only" rule since pharmacy isn't considered undergrad at all schools.



Because that 3.5 will do more for the law school's median GPA than the 3.4.

drgodfather
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

Postby drgodfather » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:47 am

NoleinNY wrote:
drgodfather wrote:Someone told me that history majors have an advantage in law school admissions because of the amount of reading they do but I don't think that's the case. So I'll keep it simple: which would look better by itself, a Doctor of Pharmacy or a Bachelors degree in history?


Numbers Centric Admissions: Whichever would be easiest to get a good GPA in.
"Holistic Approach" Admissions: Perhaps one that challeged you and makes you a better person?

Side Question: Didn't you say previously that you already had a D of P? And if so, wouldn't that meant he Bachelors degree in history wouldn't be by itself?


Yes but that's irrelevant to my question since I didn't need a Bachelors to get into pharmacy school. Please read my first post.

I'm asking which one looks better to adcoms when it comes to degree only.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

Postby blurbz » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:52 am

drgodfather wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:
drgodfather wrote:Someone told me that history majors have an advantage in law school admissions because of the amount of reading they do but I don't think that's the case. So I'll keep it simple: which would look better by itself, a Doctor of Pharmacy or a Bachelors degree in history?


Numbers Centric Admissions: Whichever would be easiest to get a good GPA in.
"Holistic Approach" Admissions: Perhaps one that challeged you and makes you a better person?

Side Question: Didn't you say previously that you already had a D of P? And if so, wouldn't that meant he Bachelors degree in history wouldn't be by itself?


Yes but that's irrelevant to my question since I didn't need a Bachelors to get into pharmacy school. Please read my first post.

I'm asking which one looks better to adcoms when it comes to degree only.


I mean, the PharmD degree is a tough degree that involves a fair amount of hard science. But it's still an incredibly short doctorate that even LSAC "counts" as an undergraduate degree. Maybe it's on the same level as a few of the engineering programs...But I doubt it'd give you a huge bump over history, and certainly not if the history degree has a better GPA attached.

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

Postby Kilpatrick » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:01 am

Haha this guy started another thread hoping people would tell him how special he is for having a pharmacy degree. You already got the answer to this question. Sorry dude, your PHD is a soft factor. The 3.5 history major will get in over you. That's just the way the admissions game is played. I don't know why you expect someone will come along to tell you different.

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

Postby NoleinNY » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:08 am

drgodfather wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:
drgodfather wrote:Someone told me that history majors have an advantage in law school admissions because of the amount of reading they do but I don't think that's the case. So I'll keep it simple: which would look better by itself, a Doctor of Pharmacy or a Bachelors degree in history?


Numbers Centric Admissions: Whichever would be easiest to get a good GPA in.
"Holistic Approach" Admissions: Perhaps one that challeged you and makes you a better person?

Side Question: Didn't you say previously that you already had a D of P? And if so, wouldn't that meant he Bachelors degree in history wouldn't be by itself?


Yes but that's irrelevant to my question since I didn't need a Bachelors to get into pharmacy school. Please read my first post.

I'm asking which one looks better to adcoms when it comes to degree only.


Between me going to post a reply and it actually going up, I missed your mention of GPAs. Whichever you got first, IIRC, is the one they care more about GPA wise. Grad-level degrees are good soft factors and if they truly care about applicant quality outside of vital statistics, then it will help.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

Postby blurbz » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:17 am

Kilpatrick wrote:Haha this guy started another thread hoping people would tell him how special he is for having a pharmacy degree. You already got the answer to this question. Sorry dude, your PHD is a soft factor. The 3.5 history major will get in over you. That's just the way the admissions game is played. I don't know why you expect someone will come along to tell you different.



Haha, just read it. Weird. I stand by what I said: in terms of difficulty, a six year PharmD program is probably the equivalent of an engineering degree. Of course, the PharmD program takes longer, though...

User avatar
rftdd888
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 3:08 am

Re: Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

Postby rftdd888 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:29 am

This is gonna kill me if I can't get into law school because I don't have a bachelors degree. A doctor of pharmacy is higher on scale than a bachelors.


lmfao what a blowhard.

that's not the point. you need the bachs degree.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

Postby A'nold » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:31 am

Haha, nobody cares about your tiny pink pharm degree bro.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

Postby flyingpanda » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:35 am

Do pharm, get a job. Forget law school. Don't be another Jackie O

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

Postby JOThompson » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:54 am

flyingpanda wrote:Do pharm, get a job. Forget law school. Don't be another Jackie O

This. Only an insane person would pass up the stable job opportunities that a pharmacy degree provides, unless that person is in love with the law.

drgodfather
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

Postby drgodfather » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:35 am

Kilpatrick wrote:Haha this guy started another thread hoping people would tell him how special he is for having a pharmacy degree. You already got the answer to this question. Sorry dude, your PHD is a soft factor. The 3.5 history major will get in over you. That's just the way the admissions game is played. I don't know why you expect someone will come along to tell you different.


Read my first post, jackass. I'm trying to compare degrees but not for my sake. My other thread did not answer my question since this thread is just a hypothetical and not related to my admissions into law school.



@rriles I've already talked to law schools about this, I do not need a "Bachelors" degree as long as I have my Pharm.D.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:39 am

..

drgodfather
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

Postby drgodfather » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:40 am

YCrevolution wrote:
drgodfather wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Haha this guy started another thread hoping people would tell him how special he is for having a pharmacy degree. You already got the answer to this question. Sorry dude, your PHD is a soft factor. The 3.5 history major will get in over you. That's just the way the admissions game is played. I don't know why you expect someone will come along to tell you different.


Read my first post, jackass. I'm trying to compare degrees but not for my sake. My other thread did not answer my question since this thread is just a hypothetical and not related to my admissions into law school.



@rriles I've already talked to law schools about this, I do not need a "Bachelors" degree as long as I have my Pharm.D.

Let's not call other people names.


Let's not let people ruin others credibility for no reason, especially without reading posts out of context.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:43 am

..

User avatar
TheBigMediocre
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

Postby TheBigMediocre » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:44 am

drgodfather wrote:Let's not let people ruin others credibility for no reason, especially without reading posts out of context.


I've read a lot of your posts, in context, and I think you do a good enough job at that yourself.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

Postby blurbz » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:45 am

drgodfather wrote:
Let's not let people ruin others credibility for no reason, especially without reading posts out of context.



Yes! We MUST read posts out of context!

Come on. The threads were basically identical: You want to know if a PharmD is a good soft factor. Some people said no, I said sort of.

To your credit, though, that some people were wrong when they argued that you can't get into law school with a PharmD since it doesn't include a bachelors. The way in which you called them out on it, though, was rude and is probably part of the reason you're getting some flack now.
Last edited by blurbz on Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

drgodfather
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

Postby drgodfather » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:46 am

TheBigMediocre wrote:
drgodfather wrote:Let's not let people ruin others credibility for no reason, especially without reading posts out of context.


I've read a lot of your posts, in context, and I think you do a good enough job at that yourself.


Who are you? None of my posts contain my personal opinions, only things established by schools and the lsac.

@blurbz, are you kidding me?! The first thread was about ME, this thread is NOT about me. Please read the first post and answer only the first post, if you aren't going to do that then your opinion is irrelevant to me.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

Postby blurbz » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:51 am

drgodfather wrote:
TheBigMediocre wrote:
drgodfather wrote:Let's not let people ruin others credibility for no reason, especially without reading posts out of context.


I've read a lot of your posts, in context, and I think you do a good enough job at that yourself.


Who are you? None of my posts contain my personal opinions, only things established by schools and the lsac.

@blurbz, are you kidding me?! The first thread was about ME, this thread is NOT about me. Please read the first post and answer only the first post, if you aren't going to do that then your opinion is irrelevant to me.


Fine, since you're clearly such a nice guy, I'll answer your original question, again, even though I have already multiple times:

A PharmD will be a small boost over a history degree, probably equivalent to that of an engineering major.

One caveat: That boost will be rendered useless if this mythical applicant (see, I know we're not talking about you now) writes his or her application in such a way that they come off as pompous and arrogant.

drgodfather
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Which major is better for law school: pharmacy or history?

Postby drgodfather » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:55 am

blurbz wrote:
drgodfather wrote:
TheBigMediocre wrote:
drgodfather wrote:Let's not let people ruin others credibility for no reason, especially without reading posts out of context.


I've read a lot of your posts, in context, and I think you do a good enough job at that yourself.


Who are you? None of my posts contain my personal opinions, only things established by schools and the lsac.

@blurbz, are you kidding me?! The first thread was about ME, this thread is NOT about me. Please read the first post and answer only the first post, if you aren't going to do that then your opinion is irrelevant to me.


Fine, since you're clearly such a nice guy, I'll answer your original question, again, even though I have already multiple times:

A PharmD will be a small boost over a history degree, probably equivalent to that of an engineering major.

One caveat: That boost will be rendered useless if this mythical applicant (see, I know we're not talking about you now) writes his or her application in such a way that they come off as pompous and arrogant.


:)

and even if you told me the opposite I would still give you a :)




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sanibella and 2 guests