People admitted to Harvard and Yale...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ConsideringLawSchool

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:47 pm

Just out of curiosity, anyone know the statistic for what percent of dual admits select each school? Thanks.

dutchstriker

Re: People admitted to Harvard and Yale...

Postby dutchstriker » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:03 pm

ConsideringLawSchool wrote:Just out of curiosity, anyone know the statistic for what percent of dual admits select each school? Thanks.

Your best bet is probably to pore over the LSN data.

Yale accepts about 250 or so and yields about 190-200. I think it's safe to say that over 90% of those in at Yale were also accepted at Harvard. If we assumed 50% of those 50-60 people who pass on Yale are going to Harvard (which seems generous to me), then about 85% of cross-admits pick Yale over Harvard. Unless I did something wrong in my thinking.

That seems about right though. I would say at least 75% pick Yale.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:09 pm

The Yale matriculation rate for applicants also accepted to Harvard is around 80%, I recall from previous threads.

ConsideringLawSchool

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:56 pm

dutchstriker wrote:
ConsideringLawSchool wrote:Just out of curiosity, anyone know the statistic for what percent of dual admits select each school? Thanks.

Yale accepts about 250 or so and yields about 190-200. I think it's safe to say that over 90% of those in at Yale were also accepted at Harvard. If we assumed 50% of those 50-60 people who pass on Yale are going to Harvard (which seems generous to me), then about 85% of cross-admits pick Yale over Harvard. Unless I did something wrong in my thinking.

Interesting... I doubt that 90% who apply to Yale even apply to Harvard though.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:07 pm

ConsideringLawSchool wrote:
dutchstriker wrote:

Why wouldn't you? Yale is hardly a sure thing. I'd be shocked if the percentage was lower than 95%.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:36 pm

There is a fairly large contingent of people who apply to Harvard but not Yale because of its location. For instance, I will be applying to Harvard but I dont think I will be applying to Yale because my SO will need a job and its very unlikely she will get a suitable one in New Haven.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:42 pm

Egregious anti-Stanford trolling.

mallard

Postby mallard » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:43 pm

romothesavior wrote:Egregious anti-Stanford trolling.

Stanford's yield rate is basically not comparable to Yale's or Harvard's. It's pretty fair to assume they don't fare that well in cross-admit battles with either peer school.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:43 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
ConsideringLawSchool wrote:
dutchstriker wrote:

Why wouldn't you? Yale is hardly a sure thing. I'd be shocked if the percentage was lower than 95%.

+1.

Although many of the Yalie hopefuls are unlike to have much interest in that festering money pit TTT in Cambridge.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:44 pm

mallard wrote:

Stanford's yield rate is basically not comparable to Yale's or Harvard's. It's pretty fair to assume they don't fare that well in cross-admit battles with either peer school.

I was being sarcastic.

mallard

Postby mallard » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:45 pm

romothesavior wrote:
mallard wrote:

I was being sarcastic.

Sorry!

Haribo

Postby Haribo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:47 pm

mallard wrote:

Stanford's yield rate is comparable to Harvard once you normalize for class size and Yale cross-admits. They lose about the same number of raw students to Yale each year as Harvard, but because of their smaller class size the yield rate is much lower.

mallard

Postby mallard » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:51 pm

Haribo wrote:
mallard wrote:

Stanford's yield rate is comparable to Harvard once you normalize for class size and Yale cross-admits. They lose about the same number of raw students to Yale each year as Harvard, but because of their smaller class size the yield rate is much lower.

You're the last person I want to get into an argument with on here! It's true that a small class size can compromise yield statistics, but it definitely helps with student quality stats.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:57 pm

Haribo wrote:
mallard wrote:

Just looked at your profile.. Your cycle is my dream cycle(minus the Columbia admit).

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:00 pm

Haribo wrote:
mallard wrote:

Lolwut.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:03 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
Haribo wrote:
mallard wrote:

Lolwut.

Hes saying they both lose about the same amount of students to Yale but because Stanford has fewer students one student impacts their yield rate much more. Ex: a class of 10 admits loses one person to Yale the yield is 90%, a class of 20 admits loses one person to Yale the yield is 95%

mallard

Postby mallard » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:06 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
Haribo wrote:
mallard wrote:

Logic fail.

It is absolutely out of the question that Haribo would "logic fail." She certainly didn't in this situation.

Imagine that the schools are much smaller. 55 students attend H from 80 admits; 20 students attend S from 45 admits; and 25 students attend Y from, let's say for the sake of convenience, 25 admits - a 100% yield.

Y is very hard to get in to. So let's assume, again contrary to fact, that everyone who gets in to Y gets in to S and H as well.

We see from this that H and S have actually lost exactly the same admits. H has a much higher yield rate, but its yield rate is identical to S's among non-Y admits.

Now, these are fake numbers, but it's almost certain that a phenomenon like this obtains in the actual stats. It's unlikely that it accounts for the entire gap, or even as much of it as Haribo suggests. But you need to think harder before saying "logic fail."

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:11 pm

mallard wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:
mallard wrote:

Logic fail.

It is absolutely out of the question that Haribo would "logic fail." She certainly didn't in this situation.

Imagine that the schools are much smaller. 55 students attend H from 80 admits; 20 students attend S from 45 admits; and 25 students attend Y from, let's say for the sake of convenience, 25 admits - a 100% yield.

Y is very hard to get in to. So let's assume, again contrary to fact, that everyone who gets in to Y gets in to S and H as well.

We see from this that H and S have actually lost exactly the same admits. H has a much higher yield rate, but its yield rate is identical to S's among non-Y admits.

Now, these are fake numbers, but it's almost certain that a phenomenon like this obtains in the actual stats. It's unlikely that it accounts for the entire gap, or even as much of it as Haribo suggests. But you need to think harder before saying "logic fail."

Ive learned that TLS people get extremely offended when you attempt to show them math or statistical analysis.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:15 pm

... are full of win.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:18 pm

mallard wrote:It is absolutely out of the question that Haribo would "logic fail." She certainly didn't in this situation.

Yeah that's pretty much it. It does have one caveat: the number of Yale admits who applied to Y and H, but not S is similar to the number that applied to Y and S, but not H. Or it could be true that the size of these groups is sufficiently small in comparison to group that applied to all 3 of HYS and were admitted to Yale.

If this assumption does not hold, Haribo's statement is invalid. However, it does seem to be pretty reasonable.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:29 pm

Isn't the main thing that Harvard wins out against Stanford pretty handily went it comes to cross admits there?

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:32 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:Isn't the main thing that Harvard wins out against Stanford pretty handily went it comes to cross admits there?

Haribo's post seems to suggest this isn't true.

I don't have the data to speculate otherwise.

mallard

Postby mallard » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:34 pm

Among other things, my guess is that at least some Harvard/Yale cross-admits did not apply to Stanford. There are many other ways the data could be warped, especially considering there are a hundred-odd other schools that offer HYS-level applicants bundles of cash to attend.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:40 pm

GeePee wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:Isn't the main thing that Harvard wins out against Stanford pretty handily went it comes to cross admits there?

Again, no data, but the admitted at Stanford thread on here contains quite a few people who turned Harvard down for Stanford.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:42 pm

GeePee wrote:

Just looking at the large percentage difference in yields and also the fact that there quite a lot of H and S cross-admits I don't see how it could be false.

I mean statistically, the only way the numbers could work out would be if there are large groups of people getting into S, but not H, then turning down S.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”