Best thing to do in year off before law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jdhopeful11

Best thing to do in year off before law school

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:20 pm

I decided that instead of retaking the June LSAT in hopes of getting off of a waitlist, I am going to wait next cycle to study even more and apply early. I'm wondering what would be the most beneficial thing for me to do experience wise, that would help me get into law school next cycle. I can't get involved in anything serious until after my October LSAT, but after that I'll have a ton of time on my hands.

My current train of thought is to pick up a ft or pt time as a legal assistant somewhere, but do adcomms care much about it? Also, I would love to travel the world and do humanitarian work, but I have no leads into where I could sign up for such an experience. Moreover, will humanitarian work be deemed more favorably by adcomms over traditional legal experience?

Other25BeforeYou

Re: Best thing to do in year off before law school

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:26 pm

andyman wrote:I decided that instead of retaking the June LSAT in hopes of getting off of a waitlist, I am going to wait next cycle to study even more and apply early. I'm wondering what would be the most beneficial thing for me to do experience wise, that would help me get into law school next cycle. I can't get involved in anything serious until after my October LSAT, but after that I'll have a ton of time on my hands.

My current train of thought is to pick up a ft or pt time as a legal assistant somewhere, but do adcomms care much about it? Also, I would love to travel the world and do humanitarian work, but I have no leads into where I could sign up for such an experience. Moreover, will humanitarian work be deemed more favorably by adcomms over traditional legal experience?

There's pretty much no way you're going to do anything in a year that will have much of an impact on your application (unless you commit a felony -- that can have a major impact).

I'd suggest legal work to make sure you know what you're getting into before committing to law school. Other than that, do whatever will make you happy.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:29 pm

FYI - I already have reputable legal work.

mallard

Postby mallard » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:31 pm

Having a job is good. However, if you're planning on receiving need-based financial aid, you might want to splurge and travel and do volunteer work the way you want. People should have adventures before law school and many schools end up being very generous, even to those who have simply thrown away their savings. But if you don't have a school lined up, you can't be sure about this.

nrj1084

Postby nrj1084 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:32 pm

andyman wrote:I decided that instead of retaking the June LSAT in hopes of getting off of a waitlist, I am going to wait next cycle to study even more and apply early. I'm wondering what would be the most beneficial thing for me to do experience wise, that would help me get into law school next cycle. I can't get involved in anything serious until after my October LSAT, but after that I'll have a ton of time on my hands.

Doing extraordinary well on the LSAT will count far, far more than anything you can do in a year. Study your ass off for the LSAT and get a great score. Then relax. Read, travel, catch up with old friends, etc. You will go through 3 years of intense, focused study in Law School and then hopefully move on into the legal world, so you might as well enjoy your last extended period of freedom.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”