Getting Waitlisted at UVA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dadengcrew
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:00 pm

Getting Waitlisted at UVA

Postby dadengcrew » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:17 pm

I was looking at LSN and noticed that a lot of people with similar numbers to me 3.92/176 are getting into to Harvard and Stanford but getting waitlisted at places like UVA and Penn. What's going on?

UVA is one of my top choices and I was wondering why high-performing people (above 75th percentile lsat/gpa) are getting waitlisted?

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Getting Waitlisted at UVA

Postby 06132010 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:19 pm

yield protect.

dadengcrew
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:00 pm

Re: Getting Waitlisted at UVA

Postby dadengcrew » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:25 pm

If so, is there anyway I can demonstrate on my app that I'm serious in wanting to go there so I don't get wait-listed because of yield-protection?

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Getting Waitlisted at UVA

Postby 06132010 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:26 pm

dadengcrew wrote:If so, is there anyway I can demonstrate on my app that I'm serious in wanting to go there so I don't get wait-listed because of yield-protection?


your "Why Penn" essay...

why would you be serious about wanting to go there with those numbers? Have fun at Harvard.

dadengcrew
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:00 pm

Re: Getting Waitlisted at UVA

Postby dadengcrew » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:30 pm

money, hopefully...

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Getting Waitlisted at UVA

Postby 06132010 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:33 pm

the only scholarship I'd consider over HYS is the Hamilton at Columbia.

you should get substantial scholarship money from several T14 schools outside of HYS, even if you get yield protected at a couple.

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Getting Waitlisted at UVA

Postby holydonkey » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:33 pm

YHS >> UVA w/ $$$. They know this, so they yield protect you. Take this as a sign that you should take YHS.

User avatar
Billy Blanks
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Getting Waitlisted at UVA

Postby Billy Blanks » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:41 pm

If you really want UVA, don't fret. When they waitlist people who are getting into better schools they include in their waitlist email a few sentences about the value that UVA puts on applicants who express clear interest in their school. Basically, they're fishing for a LOCI because they know you'll have far better options.

gradKK
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Getting Waitlisted at UVA

Postby gradKK » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:53 pm

It's all about the numbers.

dadengcrew
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:00 pm

Re: Getting Waitlisted at UVA

Postby dadengcrew » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:50 am

Thanks for the advice. Where would I include a "why UVA" or "why Penn" essay in my app. In the addendum? For anybody that has done this, what do you say for the reason that you want to attend a school that doesn't make you sound cheap?

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Getting Waitlisted at UVA

Postby 06132010 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:28 am

dadengcrew wrote:Thanks for the advice. Where would I include a "why UVA" or "why Penn" essay in my app. In the addendum? For anybody that has done this, what do you say for the reason that you want to attend a school that doesn't make you sound cheap?


the Penn application has "Why Penn" as an optional essay. I'm not sure whether UVA does.

I feel like if you could visit the school, speak with current students or faculty, or do something that isn't simply copied off the website, your Why X essay would be more compelling than what schools usually get. Expressing interest in/ties to the geographical area is also a good idea.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Getting Waitlisted at UVA

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:35 am

Presumably your goal is to get into UVA with a good scholarship. If money doesn't matter, apply ED and you will definitely get in. If you apply RD, you need to make it very clear to UVA that you wish to attend. Throwing in a couple sentences about why you want to attend UVA in your personal statement is not going to cut it.

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Getting Waitlisted at UVA

Postby 06132010 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:36 am

Cavalier wrote:Presumably your goal is to get into UVA with a good scholarship. If money doesn't matter, apply ED and you will definitely get in. If you apply RD, you need to make it very clear to UVA that you wish to attend. Throwing in a couple sentences about why you want to attend UVA in your personal statement is not going to cut it.


uh... do NOT ED at UVA with 3.92/176.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Getting Waitlisted at UVA

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:39 am

booyakasha45 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Presumably your goal is to get into UVA with a good scholarship. If money doesn't matter, apply ED and you will definitely get in. If you apply RD, you need to make it very clear to UVA that you wish to attend. Throwing in a couple sentences about why you want to attend UVA in your personal statement is not going to cut it.

uh... do NOT ED at UVA with 3.92/176.

I'm not recommending it, unless for some reason OP is in a situation where money does not matter and is absolutely determined to attend UVA. But if OP is like 99% of us, who would like a fat scholarship, applying ED would be dumb.

User avatar
joeshmo39
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am

Re: Getting Waitlisted at UVA

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:55 am

I wrote a why UVA essay and just attached it with the rest of my documents on LSAC (resume, PS, Why Uva Essay, addendum etd.) It is pretty common practice and a lot of people do it even for schools that don't ask for it. I think a lot of people write them for MPVBD range schools because they are all so similar it helps them get a look at who is really, uniquely interested. No one writes Why Harvards because it would go something like "because you are Harvard." That said, you should probably go to Harvard.

and if those are your numbers dear God don't apply ED. A LOCI, why essay, visit, phone call whatever will let them know you are sincere. Keep your options open who knows what life throws at you in the next 14 months.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Getting Waitlisted at UVA

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:45 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Presumably your goal is to get into UVA with a good scholarship. If money doesn't matter, apply ED and you will definitely get in. If you apply RD, you need to make it very clear to UVA that you wish to attend. Throwing in a couple sentences about why you want to attend UVA in your personal statement is not going to cut it.


[strike]uh... do NOT[/strike] ED at UVA with 3.92/176.

all set




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests