Higher LSAT or CPA Exam

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
va_323

Higher LSAT or CPA Exam

Postby va_323 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:15 am

I am planning on applying to law schools this fall, and have accepted a position at one of the Big 4 accounting firms in the meantime. I graduated this spring with a 3.75 gpa and scored a 169 on the LSAT in september. My question is, would it be more beneficial to my application to focus my energy on retaking the LSAT (assuming that with more studying I could score 1-2 points higher) or try to pass the CPA exam (assuming I could finish all 4 parts within 6 months)?

Thanks.

Dr. Strangelove

Re: Higher LSAT or CPA Exam

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:20 am

This is gonna be a wise-guy answer- but try to do both.
Given the economy, you'll probably want to try to pass the CPA exam..that'll help you a lot in accounting.
Can you wait till December to retake the LSAT? This will give you enough time to focus on the CPA thing over the summer.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:30 am

I vote that you take the CPA exams and then push back the application proceess for a year to give yourself time to get WE and retake the LSAT. If you can increase even 1 point you should be pretty beasty.

nycsoul87

Postby nycsoul87 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:49 am

pass cpa exam
get 2 years work experience/ wait out job market problems in law
retake lsat for 173+
go to law school of your choice from Columbia on down
do OCI in law school with ACTUAL WORK EXPERIENCE unlike kids straight from undergrad
BIGLAW SECURE
Profit + models and bottles!

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:23 am

nycsoul87 wrote:pass cpa exam
retake lsat for 173+
do OCI in law school with ACTUAL WORK EXPERIENCE unlike kids straight from undergrad
BIGLAW SECURE

+ boats and hoes

DGLitcH

Postby DGLitcH » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:48 pm

retake lsat for 173+
BIGLAW SECURE

TITCR

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:54 pm

retake lsat for 173+
BIGLAW SECURE

Disclaimer: Assuming that the models are good-looking and that the OP can get a 173+ on the LSAT-
If both of these conditions are satisfied, then yes, this is a realistic and desirable path!

Disclaimer on disclaimer: (Holy shit... "conditions are satisfied"... have been spending way too much time with the LSAT.)

DGLitcH

Postby DGLitcH » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:47 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
retake lsat for 173+
BIGLAW SECURE

Disclaimer: Assuming that the models are good-looking and that the OP can get a 173+ on the LSAT-
If both of these conditions are satisfied, then yes, this is a realistic and desirable path!

Disclaimer on disclaimer: (Holy shit... "conditions are satisfied"... have been spending way too much time with the LSAT.)

In addition to that, if you do JD/MBA instead of just a JD after getting your CPA then you will have law, accounting and management. ITE that flexibility is great to have.

Logjik

Postby Logjik » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:41 pm

If I were you I would focus my energy on the LSAT. Get the highest score possible because from what I can tell LS is a numbers game. Study for the CPA once you submit your application for LS.

Besides it's no guarantee you will pass all 4 sections especially in 6 months.

adrib

Postby adrib » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:07 am

I think you can swing both, easily. I did the CPA test in five months without rushing. I can't say being a CPA helped me in the admissions process, but people have hinted that the license, coupled with accounting WE, has helped them in securing employment, so who knows.

DGLitcH

Postby DGLitcH » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:24 am

adrib wrote:I think you can swing both, easily. I did the CPA test in five months without rushing. I can't say being a CPA helped me in the admissions process, but people have hinted that the license, coupled with accounting WE, has helped them in securing employment, so who knows.

This brings up an interesting point. Can anyone here who has gone through the job recruitment process share with us whether the CPA and the accounting work experience was helpful in landing a biglaw position?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”