Misconception about law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Misconception about law school

Postby Matthies » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:10 pm

Thomas Jefferson wrote:No, I have life figured all out, I've just learned from experience that putting that fact in writing is just asking to get a foot in your ass. If we can all learn anything from the racist Harvard 3L e-mail it is this: its Ok to think your actually smarter than other people /have the whole world figured out so long as you don't actually write that down, because when you do people have evidence to show your not. Moral of this story, think your superior/smarter/have all the answers/are well endowed, just don't write it down.


1) The email was not racist.

2) Self-censorship is not a good thing.

3) Didn't you just contradict your own advice? (see bolded) [/quote]

Sarcasm, it's like kryptonite to you right?

User avatar
Thomas Jefferson
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Misconception about law school

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:13 pm

Matthies wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:No, I have life figured all out, I've just learned from experience that putting that fact in writing is just asking to get a foot in your ass. If we can all learn anything from the racist Harvard 3L e-mail it is this: its Ok to think your actually smarter than other people /have the whole world figured out so long as you don't actually write that down, because when you do people have evidence to show your not. Moral of this story, think your superior/smarter/have all the answers/are well endowed, just don't write it down.


1) The email was not racist.

2) Self-censorship is not a good thing.

3) Didn't you just contradict your own advice? (see bolded)


Sarcasm, it's like kryptonite to you right?[/quote]

I guess so. ::tail between legs::

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Misconception about law school

Postby A'nold » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:16 pm

Matthies wrote:
James Bond wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Matthies wrote:

Wait... Matthies doesn't have life all figured out?!?


Ya seriously wtf?

If you're not Buddha then why have I been rubbing your belly for luck?


No, I have life figured all out, I've just learned from experience that putting that fact in writing is just asking to get a foot in your ass. If we can all learn anything from the racist Harvard 3L e-mail it is this: its Ok to think your actually smarter than other people /have the whole world figured out so long as you don't actually write that down, because when you do people have evidence to show your not. Moral of this story, think your superior/smarter/have all the answers/are well endowed, just don't write it down.


1) The email was not racist.

2) Self-censorship is not a good thing.

3) Didn't you just contradict your own advice? (see bolded)


Srsly?

User avatar
Thomas Jefferson
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Misconception about law school

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:46 pm

A'nold wrote:Srsly?



Um, yes?

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Misconception about law school

Postby dresden doll » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:50 pm

Matthies wrote:
Daytukrjabs wrote:I think too many people on this forum, and presumably many others not on TLS, are under the impression that applying for law school is much like bidding for public office. So they take a year off and do these Teach for America, Peace Corp, and other NGO stuff in hopes that adcoms will give them a boost.

Law school is a professional school that places heavy emphasis (if not all) on academics. Your GPA/LSAT is what matters. Everything else is optional. Any adcom/applicant who tells you otherwise is lying through their teeth or delusional.
Law school is not a NGO. It is a for-profit business and a subsidiary cash flow for its overall institution.

You can fight for justice and advance your passionate causes through so much better vehicle than law school.
You should not be joining these organizations for the sole purpose of gaining boost on your application. You will burn out, get jaded, and waste a lot of time. You're not doing anyone a favor. Be honest and know your goals.

But in the mean time, save yourself a lot of time. 5 more points on your LSAT is better than having worked 2 years of your life at one of these organizations. Law school adcoms will disagree with me in theory and through their PR, but in actual practice, I am convinced of this.



damit I miss being young and so sure of myself. Life was so much easier when I thought I had the whole world figured out for other people than it is now knowing I didn't really know as much as thought I did back then.


LOL and so credited. Although I'm still pretty young. But at least I'm now old enough to know that I don't know shit, kind of like Socrates.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Misconception about law school

Postby dresden doll » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:53 pm

mallard wrote:
mhernton wrote:if your theory is correct, how do you explain my 2.2UGPA and 155LSAT in at a top30???


Well, how do you explain it?


You have been greatly missed.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Misconception about law school

Postby MrKappus » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:54 pm

dresden doll wrote:LOL and so credited. Although I'm still pretty young. But at least I'm now old enough to know that I don't know shit, kind of like Socrates.


Haha you can't simultaneously say you don't know shit and compare yourself to Socrates! ;)

User avatar
Thomas Jefferson
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Misconception about law school

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:57 pm

MrKappus wrote:
dresden doll wrote:LOL and so credited. Although I'm still pretty young. But at least I'm now old enough to know that I don't know shit, kind of like Socrates.


Haha you can't simultaneously say you don't know shit and compare yourself to Socrates! ;)


I suppose you can, if you drink the hemlock.
Last edited by Thomas Jefferson on Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Misconception about law school

Postby MrKappus » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:58 pm

mallard wrote:
mhernton wrote:if your theory is correct, how do you explain my 2.2UGPA and 155LSAT in at a top30???


Well, how do you explain it?


He explains it w/ soft factors.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Misconception about law school

Postby dresden doll » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:00 am

MrKappus wrote:
dresden doll wrote:LOL and so credited. Although I'm still pretty young. But at least I'm now old enough to know that I don't know shit, kind of like Socrates.


Haha you can't simultaneously say you don't know shit and compare yourself to Socrates! ;)


Come on now. You know which quote I was referencing. It should be pretty obvious what I meant - not that I have energy to explain even if it isn't.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Misconception about law school

Postby MrKappus » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:05 am

dresden doll wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
dresden doll wrote:LOL and so credited. Although I'm still pretty young. But at least I'm now old enough to know that I don't know shit, kind of like Socrates.


Haha you can't simultaneously say you don't know shit and compare yourself to Socrates! ;)


Come on now. You know which quote I was referencing. It should be pretty obvious what I meant - not that I have energy to explain even if it isn't.


Is it...A PARADOX!!?? :)

I do know the quote. It's still an epistemological conundrum, but that's the Greeks for ya.

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: Misconception about law school

Postby James Bond » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:05 am

MrKappus wrote:
mallard wrote:
mhernton wrote:if your theory is correct, how do you explain my 2.2UGPA and 155LSAT in at a top30???


Well, how do you explain it?


He explains it w/ soft factors.


Is he a URM? I hear that's one hell of a soft

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Misconception about law school

Postby MrKappus » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:06 am

James Bond wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
mallard wrote:
mhernton wrote:if your theory is correct, how do you explain my 2.2UGPA and 155LSAT in at a top30???


Well, how do you explain it?


He explains it w/ soft factors.


Is he a URM? I hear that's one hell of a soft


That's the word on the street.

Wait...not what I meant.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Misconception about law school

Postby dresden doll » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:11 am

MrKappus wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
dresden doll wrote:LOL and so credited. Although I'm still pretty young. But at least I'm now old enough to know that I don't know shit, kind of like Socrates.


Haha you can't simultaneously say you don't know shit and compare yourself to Socrates! ;)


Come on now. You know which quote I was referencing. It should be pretty obvious what I meant - not that I have energy to explain even if it isn't.


Is it...A PARADOX!!?? :)

I do know the quote. It's still an epistemological conundrum, but that's the Greeks for ya.


After my Jurisprudence elective, I am pretty sure I do not wish to see the word epistemology again in my life. Ugh.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Misconception about law school

Postby MrKappus » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:12 am

dresden doll wrote:After my Jurisprudence elective, I am pretty sure I do not wish to see the word epistemology again in my life. Ugh.


Damn smarter people at better law schools than I... :?

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Misconception about law school

Postby dresden doll » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:14 am

MrKappus wrote:
dresden doll wrote:After my Jurisprudence elective, I am pretty sure I do not wish to see the word epistemology again in my life. Ugh.


Damn smarter people at better law schools than I... :?


At the rate I'm going, I'll have nothing but a fancy degree to show for. It's kind of sad, really.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Misconception about law school

Postby MrKappus » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:16 am

dresden doll wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
dresden doll wrote:After my Jurisprudence elective, I am pretty sure I do not wish to see the word epistemology again in my life. Ugh.


Damn smarter people at better law schools than I... :?


At the rate I'm going, I'll have nothing but a fancy degree to show for. It's kind of sad, really.


Image

:mrgreen:

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Misconception about law school

Postby dresden doll » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:17 am

^ Haha.

I don't know, though, dude - I think I'd trade schools to a certain extent for a shred of work ethic. My attitude doesn't bode well in general. I can't imagine how someone as lazy as I will be able to handle corporate workload.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Misconception about law school

Postby MrKappus » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:20 am

dresden doll wrote:^ Haha.

I don't know, though, dude - I think I'd trade schools to a certain extent for a shred of work ethic. My attitude doesn't bode well in general. I can't imagine how someone as lazy as I will be able to handle corporate workload.


I have an inkling you'll do just fine. Elite terminal degree goes a pretty effing long way.
P.S. Sorry to all for the thread hijack. I'm done now.

mhernton
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Misconception about law school

Postby mhernton » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:53 am

James Bond wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
mallard wrote:
mhernton wrote:if your theory is correct, how do you explain my 2.2UGPA and 155LSAT in at a top30???


Well, how do you explain it?


He explains it w/ soft factors.


Is he a URM? I hear that's one hell of a soft


Yes I am, as a matter a fact, I didn't even write an admissions essay, I just checked the URM box...

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Misconception about law school

Postby MrKappus » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:50 am

mhernton wrote:Yes I am, as a matter a fact, I didn't even write an admissions essay, I just checked the URM box...


Well this is awkward. Do you actually need an explanation for your 155/2.2 + T30?

mhernton
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Misconception about law school

Postby mhernton » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:54 am

MrKappus wrote:
mhernton wrote:Yes I am, as a matter a fact, I didn't even write an admissions essay, I just checked the URM box...


Well this is awkward. Do you actually need an explanation for your 155/2.2 + T30?


I don't need an explanation. Do you? I know why I got into where I did. But I guess the OPs premise is flawed...

User avatar
Quine
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:49 am

Re: Misconception about law school

Postby Quine » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:20 am

mhernton wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
mhernton wrote:Yes I am, as a matter a fact, I didn't even write an admissions essay, I just checked the URM box...


Well this is awkward. Do you actually need an explanation for your 155/2.2 + T30?


I don't need an explanation. Do you? I know why I got into where I did. But I guess the OPs premise is flawed...


... if one could become an URM after two years of TFA.


I briefly read this guy's post history, and I think he legitimately believes his URM status had little to do with his admissions success:

mhernton wrote:Dude, I'm the miracle of this cycle, 2.2UGPA and 155LSAT. I got into a T30. I had every soft known to man. over 10years if work experience, combat vet, MBA, URM and a bunch of other things. My suggestion to you is to put off Law school because because you don't have anything that will set you apart from other applications in a positive way. You need work experience and something dynamic on your resume for them to give a shot. The further away from UG the more the adcoms can ignore your GPA. With you being straight out of school it will have serious weight. Don't take my advice for it. There is a law school somewhere near you, go in a talk with a staff member about the process. This is all free advice, and you get what you pay for....Good Luck

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Misconception about law school

Postby 06132010 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:16 am

well, he's delusional.

User avatar
HazelEyes
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: Misconception about law school

Postby HazelEyes » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:56 pm

mallard wrote:
xyzzzzzzzz wrote:I guess that TFA thread really pissed you off. I feel similarly, i see way too many posts like take time off and become a PCV, do AmeriCorps, or join the military. This is just bad advice, because those jobs are hard, and not for everyone.


And soft factors are simply not worth two years of your life.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Thewanderer and 1 guest