Strange GPA conundrum of weirdness and jesus

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
icanreadgood
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:40 am

Strange GPA conundrum of weirdness and jesus

Postby icanreadgood » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:31 pm

So, back in 2006 I graduated from UCSD with a pitiful 2.72 GPA. In 2008, I took some classes at a junior college just for fun, I received letter grades of A's. Just yesterday I find out from UCSD that I was NEVER actually conferred a degree, I was/am 7 units short! Really strange, I walked during commencement, they called out my name blah blah blah. I should've been notified by academic advising, it was my fault for not following up as well, etc.....

Anyway, so my question now is, are the classes I took at the junior college going to factor into my LSDAS GPA? I still have not been conferred a degree, and if taking either additional junior college courses or taking additional UC courses will raise my LSDAS GPA I will do it. I would just prefer to do junior college courses because the cost per credit is significantly less.

(oh and the topic is named as such because I feel like it is a miracle from the baby jesus and allah that I am able to still effect my GPA)

thanks in advance!

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Strange GPA conundrum of weirdness and jesus

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:36 pm

.
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Strange GPA conundrum of weirdness and jesus

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:39 pm

Yea, take a shit load of online community college courses and get that GPA over 3.0.

User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 919
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: Strange GPA conundrum of weirdness and jesus

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:56 pm

Sounds like a gift. As far as I know, LSDAS counts all courses taken up until you earn your BA/BS into your GPA. So would the plan be to take some courses elsewhere as a non-degree-seeking student and then go back to UCSD for the final seven units?

It is super weird that they failed to confer your degree and managed to keep that secret from you. At my UG, people who walked while not technically allowed to graduate would get their diploma covers, but inside instead of a diploma there'd be a nasty note about their library fines / parking tickets / stupid art requirement, etc.

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Strange GPA conundrum of weirdness and jesus

Postby NayBoer » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Yea, take a shit load of online community college courses and get that GPA over 3.0.
Based on Excel calculations [(UCSD credit*UCSD GPA+CC credit*CC GPA)/total credits] this would take at least 32 credits worth of As to equal at least a 3.

icanreadgood
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:40 am

Re: Strange GPA conundrum of weirdness and jesus

Postby icanreadgood » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:09 pm

I spoke with UCSD today and to graduate I just need 7 credits. It does not have to be with them. In theory I could use the credits from attending the junior college and be done with it. I will not do that though. I have already taken 12 semester units (with a current LSDAS GPA of 2.85), so I just need 18-20 more to get my GPA to a 3.0. I am stoked. Also, during the commencement ceremony all the graduates were handed empty diploma envelopes. The degrees were to be mailed to students 3 months later.

User avatar
lostjake
Posts: 320
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: Strange GPA conundrum of weirdness and jesus

Postby lostjake » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:20 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Yea, take a shit load of online community college courses and get that GPA over 3.0.
Based on Excel calculations [(UCSD credit*UCSD GPA+CC credit*CC GPA)/total credits] this would take at least 32 credits worth of As to equal at least a 3.


32 credits at about $350 a piece is only 11k and a year of your life.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Strange GPA conundrum of weirdness and jesus

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:26 pm

lostjake wrote:
NayBoer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Yea, take a shit load of online community college courses and get that GPA over 3.0.
Based on Excel calculations [(UCSD credit*UCSD GPA+CC credit*CC GPA)/total credits] this would take at least 32 credits worth of As to equal at least a 3.


32 credits at about $350 a piece is only 11k and a year of your life.


That may or may not be worth it depending on his LSAT.

User avatar
pinkzeppelin
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: Strange GPA conundrum of weirdness and jesus

Postby pinkzeppelin » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:35 pm

Do you think adcoms are going to be blinded by your thinly veiled gaming of the system? They'll see right through it, although they probably won't care if it helps them with the rankings. But since your gpa won't get above median at any worthwhile law school without wasting multiple years of your life, you won't help them with rankings, so adcoms won't care. They might just think "this idiot took pointless classes for a year just to raise his gpa." You'd be much better off taking the time to study for the lsat.

icanreadgood
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:40 am

Re: Strange GPA conundrum of weirdness and jesus

Postby icanreadgood » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:55 pm

250 is the price per unit at a UC school. I do not need UC credits, I just need credits. At junior college they are 26 a pop. I need a total of six more classes to get a 3.0. I can take 3 summer school classes, and 3 additional classes in the fall. I can also take easy classes and/or poli sci classes.

pinkzeppelin wrote:Do you think adcoms are going to be blinded by your thinly veiled gaming of the system? They'll see right through it, although they probably won't care if it helps them with the rankings. But since your gpa won't get above median at any worthwhile law school without wasting multiple years of your life, you won't help them with rankings, so adcoms won't care. They might just think "this idiot took pointless classes for a year just to raise his gpa." You'd be much better off taking the time to study for the lsat.


Meow!

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: Strange GPA conundrum of weirdness and jesus

Postby yo! » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:23 am

Do a double major or pick up a minor. This way it will look like you were doing more than padding your GPA. You will have to pay for the UC credits, but at least it won't look like you are trying to game the system.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Strange GPA conundrum of weirdness and jesus

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:27 am

icanreadgood wrote:So, back in 2006 I graduated from UCSD with a pitiful 2.72 GPA. In 2008, I took some classes at a junior college just for fun, I received letter grades of A's. Just yesterday I find out from UCSD that I was NEVER actually conferred a degree, I was/am 7 units short! Really strange, I walked during commencement, they called out my name blah blah blah. I should've been notified by academic advising, it was my fault for not following up as well, etc.....

Anyway, so my question now is, are the classes I took at the junior college going to factor into my LSDAS GPA? I still have not been conferred a degree, and if taking either additional junior college courses or taking additional UC courses will raise my LSDAS GPA I will do it. I would just prefer to do junior college courses because the cost per credit is significantly less.

(oh and the topic is named as such because I feel like it is a miracle from the baby jesus and allah that I am able to still [strike]e[/strike]affect my GPA)

thanks in advance!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: maybeman and 5 guests