I've got some LOR questions..

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
adevotchka

I've got some LOR questions..

Postby adevotchka » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:59 pm

I'm one year out of undergrad and was unsure about law school when I graduated, so I did NOT ask for recommendations before I left (yeah, stupid, I know). I'm getting ready to ask now, but have a few questions.

1. I now live in NYC. My old university is 4 hours away and I rarely get back to that area. I've heard it's frowned upon to ask for a LOR via e-mail. Should I suck it up and make a trip one weekend to make actual appointments with my profs, or in this case will it be alright to ask via e-mail if I explain I'm not local/working full time.

2. Articles I've read recommend providing the professors with a portfolio containing your transcript, previous coursework with their notes and grades, a list of schools to which you are applying, a resume, and a draft of your personal statement. Is this really all necessary? I don't have my PS written yet as I've been focusing solely on the LSAT and probably will be doing that until October. Also, I definitely don't have marked up coursework (do people actually save marked up papers? give them to mom to put on the fridge?). I probably have old electronic copies--will this work?

Thanks!

PS - anyone ever send out a small thank you gift to profs for doing them a favor and writing recs? I kinda want to do this but don't want to look like a douchebag or anything.

Thane Messinger

Re: I've got some LOR questions..

Postby Thane Messinger » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:16 pm

adevotchka wrote:I'm one year out of undergrad and was unsure about law school when I graduated, so I did NOT ask for recommendations before I left (yeah, stupid, I know). I'm getting ready to ask now, but have a few questions.

1. I now live in NYC. My old university is 4 hours away and I rarely get back to that area. I've heard it's frowned upon to ask for a LOR via e-mail. Should I suck it up and make a trip one weekend to make actual appointments with my profs, or in this case will it be alright to ask via e-mail if I explain I'm not local/working full time.

2. Articles I've read recommend providing the professors with a portfolio containing your transcript, previous coursework with their notes and grades, a list of schools to which you are applying, a resume, and a draft of your personal statement. Is this really all necessary? I don't have my PS written yet as I've been focusing solely on the LSAT and probably will be doing that until October. Also, I definitely don't have marked up coursework (do people actually save marked up papers? give them to mom to put on the fridge?). I probably have old electronic copies--will this work?

Thanks!

PS - anyone ever send out a small thank you gift to profs for doing them a favor and writing recs? I kinda want to do this but don't want to look like a douchebag or anything.

The answer to #1 depends upon how well you know the professors. If they would know you easily (careful, most will have only the vaguest recollection), then, surprisingly, email is often fine. Not ideal, but depending upon the prof that can be okay. If, however, your prof likely wouldn't know you except by sight, then the trip is probably well worth it.

Yes, you do need to do the work before asking for the favor. You're not doin this for them. You're doing it for you.

You don't need marked-up work, but you might have a final paper or brief summary of what you did, grade earned, etc.

And, it's fine and good practice to send a thank you and, if you can, a small gift as a token of appreciation. These letters are a pain in the rear. Trust me.

Also, if your prof isn't enthusiastic, back away. A mediocre letter is the kiss of death. It's how applications to even safety schools get turned down.

I hope this helps,

Thane.

--
Thane Messinger
Author of:
Law School: Getting In, Getting Good, Getting the Gold
The Young Lawyer's Jungle Book: A Survival Guide

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”