Law School Expectations vs. Real Thing

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cinefile 17

Law School Expectations vs. Real Thing

Postby cinefile 17 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:52 pm

To current law school students,

In what ways did your actual 1L law school experience differ from your expectations of what it would be like? Be specific. Thanks.

A'nold

Re: Law School Expectations vs. Real Thing

Postby A'nold » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:57 pm

Pretty much what I expected because of TLS and different pre-law books. Most people, however, are shocked to learn that there is no "right answer" and will be completely embarassed when cold called b/c the professor will reem them into oblivion. This is especially entertaining when it happens to first week of school gunners.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:02 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 06072010 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:03 pm

Law students were bigger douches than I expected.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:04 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:05 pm

PKSebben wrote:Law students were bigger douches than I expected.

Lol. In what ways? I'm especially interested b.c. I see you go to Michigan. I'm in UG there and the people I've talked to in the law school have all said they were actually pleasantly surprised by the non douchiness of the other students.
Last edited by cinefile 17 on Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:06 pm

Oh yeah, thesealocust just reminded me of something else. You will be completely pumped up and will have everything down to the freaking little notes in the casebook (haha, not really) memorized and you will just expect this earth shattering AWESOME ultimate exam that is so complicated most rocket scientists would cringe......then you realize that your product will look like a kindergartener writing with crayons as you frantically try to get all of that crap out on a very tame looking issue spotter.

Postby 06072010 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:07 pm

hesslerj wrote:

Lol. In what ways?

Not interested in actual discourse. Mock outrage at stupid shit. Disrespectful to professors and other students. Using every chance to flaunt lawyer skills, like playing board games. Unable to flush toilets or wash their hands after using the restroom. Windbags. Law humor at bars.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:08 pm

Actually, this is very credited, at least at my school, unfortunately.

Postby 06072010 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:12 pm

Posting personal details about other classmates on XOXO. Starting quasi-misogynist secret societies. Poor liquor-holding ability. Showing up to class and wasting everyone else's time by being unprepared and not owning up to it. Forwarding embarassing list-serv emails to above the law. Stealing sandwiches. Borrowing things and not returning them. Asking for notes and outlines without offering in return. Failing to do their journal work as assigned.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:13 pm

PKSebben wrote:
hesslerj wrote:

Lol. In what ways?

Not interested in actual discourse. Mock outrage at stupid shit. Disrespectful to professors and other students. Unable to flush toilets or wash their hands after using the restroom. Windbags.

LOL! I actually have a story about this!

This one time, there were like 10 guys in this one bathroom and this gunner guy finished taking a leak. He walks up to the sink, turns it on, basically dips his hands in it, then reaches for the pully thing on the paper towel dispenser, dries his hands, grabs the door handle, and walks out. I stopped cold right there in the middle of everyone and very loudly said, "you know, why even fake it? I wish he would have just walked out after touching his *blank* and not touched the paper towel dispenser handle." One of my classmates looked shocked, and then busted out laughing and said, "you know? You're right! That's disgusting!" and then we walked out laughing.

The swine flu also swept through our law school. Law students are gross.

wakefield

Postby wakefield » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:18 pm

A'nold wrote:
PKSebben wrote:
hesslerj wrote:

Lol. In what ways?

Not interested in actual discourse. Mock outrage at stupid shit. Disrespectful to professors and other students. Unable to flush toilets or wash their hands after using the restroom. Windbags.

This one time, there were like 10 guys in this one bathroom and this gunner guy finished taking a leak. He walks up to the sink, turns it on, basically dips his hands in it, then reaches for the pully thing on the paper towel dispenser, dries his hands, grabs the door handle, and walks out. I stopped cold right there in the middle of everyone and very loudly said, "you know, why even fake it? I wish he would have just walked out after touching his *blank* and not touched the paper towel dispenser handle." One of my classmates looked shocked, and then busted out laughing and said, "you know? You're right! That's disgusting!" and then we walked out laughing.

he couldn't bring himself to actually wash his hands just that one time? shameless.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:22 pm

In the army they teach us to wash our hands after taking a leak.

In the Marine Corps. they teach us not to piss on our fingers.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:26 pm

A'nold wrote:
PKSebben wrote:
hesslerj wrote:

Lol. In what ways?

OMG SO FUNNY... were you in that movie "Mean Girls"?

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:32 pm

A'nold wrote:
PKSebben wrote:
hesslerj wrote:
PKSebben wrote:
Lol. In what ways?

OMG SO FUNNY... were you in that movie "Mean Girls"?

I just don't get why these fake handwashers actually think they are fooling anybody. Just walk out and own your disgustingness.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:39 pm

Fair. Still you have to be careful about Clarking (that's right, I'm making it a verb) a situation.

Clarking: When your actions in the face of dickishness, toolishness, or otherwise generally disappointing human behavior ends up making you look worse than the original actor.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:03 pm

1. I never touch bathroom doors on the way in if there is no handle, always use my foot
2. If i walk in and see there are paper towels i can grab without touching anything then I piss, grab a paper towel and use it to open the door on the way out. I can tell you right now that my dick is much cleaner than anything I'm going to touch in that bathroom.
3. Option B...Piss...pump the lever on the paper towels...wash my hands...leave water on grab paper towels and use to open door.
4. If no paper towels at all, wash, airdry (try and wait for someone else to open door, if that fails I bring myself to do it)...Always have purell in my backpack tho so regardless that shits happening as soon as I'm out.

Postby 06072010 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:06 pm

Mike12188 wrote:1. I never touch bathroom doors on the way in if there is no handle, always use my foot
2. If i walk in and see there are paper towels i can grab without touching anything then I piss, grab a paper towel and use it to open the door on the way out. I can tell you right now that my dick is much cleaner than anything I'm going to touch in that bathroom.
3. Option B...Piss...pump the lever on the paper towels...wash my hands...leave water on grab paper towels and use to open door.
4. If no paper towels at all, wash, airdry (try and wait for someone else to open door, if that fails I bring myself to do it)...Always have purell in my backpack tho so regardless that shits happening as soon as I'm out.

Do you also count your steps and/or make sure you lock all twelve locks on your door in a certain order?

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:12 pm

Mike12188 wrote:1. I never touch bathroom doors on the way in if there is no handle, always use my foot

I use the method above with the pump paper towels.

Also, the dude was a well known and annoying gunner. I'm sure nobody thought I was being too big a jerk.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:18 pm

PKSebben wrote:

Do you also count your steps and/or make sure you lock all twelve locks on your door in a certain order?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But yes.... for christ's sake people, wash your fucking hands with soap and water after you piss/shit.

Locke N. Lawded

Postby Locke N. Lawded » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:23 pm

hesslerj wrote:To current law school students,

In what ways did your actual 1L law school experience differ from your expectations of what it would be like? Be specific. Thanks.

I did not realize that 1L year would be so much like high school, with cliques (study groups), hookups, and all-nighters.

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:24 pm

Locke N. Lawded wrote:

I did not realize that 1L year would be so much like high school, with cliques (study groups), hookups, and all-nighters.

You pulled all-nighters in high school???

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:34 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
PKSebben wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But yes.... for christ's sake people, wash your fucking hands with soap and water after you piss/shit.

Written out like that It does seem kind of "rainman" ish...but I' m just saying because someone doesn't wash their hands doesn't mean they didn't go outside and use hand sanitizer or something, public bathrooms are gross and if I can get away without touching anything in there I won't

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:34 pm

Sure, you should wash your hands after peeing, but we all know hands are dirtier than dicks, right? I've heard from a doctor that it's actually more important for girls to wash their hands before peeing than after, for what it's worth.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:35 pm

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
Locke N. Lawded wrote:

You pulled all-nighters in high school???

Also curious about the all-nighters in high school...unless of course they were the usual weekend coke binges your talking about, I don't see the need at all.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”