My Dilemma Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jdhopeful11

Bronze

My Dilemma

Post by jdhopeful11 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:07 am

OK so here's the preamble.. I took the LSAT prematurely in Feb. and due to a combination of insufficient prep time, me freaking out, and horrible testing conditions, i laid a big goose egg (148). I was rejected to all of the schools that i applied to except Rutgers-Camden (I signed up for waitlist for PT and FT programs but i plan on switching to FT asap), which waitlisted me. I am a Rutgers UG alum, lifelong NJ native, and I contribute to the overall diversity of the school with my background and bilingualism.

I am well aware that me being waitlisted with the aforementioned LSAT score is definitely a "soft rejection." However, I am still ready to try and get off of it with whatever means necessary. I'm taking a couple of accelerated philosophy courses at my community college to increase my GPA to a 3.1, and I made sure to get 3 really good LORs from my prior internship at the AG's office before I left (RU has 5 in total now from me, hooray). Plus, I was hoping that I would have had enough prep time to get myself back in gear for the LSAT so that i could potentially replace that shitty score they have on file. So up to this point, they see that i'm doing everything that i can to get off this stupid waitlist (I've written an LOCI as well).

I have gotten a lot better on the LSAT, but I am still having trouble with RC. I would be in the high 160's by now if it wasn't for RC. I am scheduled to take the LSAT on Saturday, and although I feel confident that I could score somewhere in the high 150's, it would be my 2nd retake, and I know that if I took the test in October with even more prep, I would do even better. This, of course, would mean dooming my chances of getting into RU for the upcoming year.

So here's my dilemma people- I desperately do not want to take a year off. I would rather start law school on 2 days notice that I've been accepted than to take a year off despite being confident that I can find a legal job to add to my resume during my off year. And before anybody suggests to travel the world - that is not an option unfortunately.

Although I cringe at the thought of taking a year off, I am willing to accept it because of how much good could potentially come from it. With that said, do I cancel my score after I take the test on Saturday? It would SUCK for me to let the score stand, not get admitted to RU, and then retake for the 3rd time in October when I know I'd do better.

The real answer to the riddle is figuring out what LSAT score would be sufficient to get me off of the Rutgers Camden waitlist pool (they don't make their waitlist rankings until July 1st). Since its impossible to tell, and since we cant tell what the likelihood is of getting in with a mediocre score (154-156), are the odds for admission into this petty school too great to risk having a 150-range LSAT score on my file (2nd time taking the test as well)?

So there it is guys. Although I anxiously want to gamble my chances at doing well enough on the June LSAT to get off the waitlist, I'm considering the long term implications if this scenario were to fail. I'm taking the test regardless for the experience if nothing else. The issue with letting the score stand is that I don't want another test on my record if I know that I'll be taking it again in Oct (and maybe again after that if I actually get accepted this cycle).* But then again, if I knew that letting the score stand would get me in, I would take it in a heartbeat.

So do I cancel June? or roll the dice? or wait till after the test to decide?

*To my defense, I applied extremely late in the cycle because the Feb LSAT was the first test that I had time (5 weeks) to study for.

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: My Dilemma

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am

I think it would be fair to say you kinda half-assed this entire cycle. If you really wanna go to law school (especially a good one), you need to put in the real effort. Study hard, re-take the LSAT, and apply early.

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:04 am

Your Dilemma's solution is simple: don't go to law school until you get a better score. A 148 on the LSAT is not a plausible beginning to a law school career.

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:53 am

Any other thoughts?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:23 am

I'm in a similar situation. After half-assing the LSAT and application cycle in general, I realized that it would be stupid of me not to retake/reapply. It sucks having to take a year off but graduating 1 year earlier from a crappy school is not worth it when you can take a year off and graduate 1 year later from a better school.

Retake/reapply. Don't let impatience hurt your employment prospects when you setting aside 6 figures of debt and 3 years off your life.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MusicNutMeggie

Bronze

Post by MusicNutMeggie » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:04 am

andyman wrote:
I have gotten a lot better on the LSAT, but I am still having trouble with RC. I would be in the high 160's by now if it wasn't for RC. I am scheduled to take the LSAT on Saturday, and although I feel confident that I could score somewhere in the high 150's, it would be my 2nd retake, and I know that if I took the test in October with even more prep, I would do even better. This, of course, would mean dooming my chances of getting into RU for the upcoming year.

Wait...what? How can you possibly predict what your score *would* be "if" (and it's a big if) you magically got better at one of the sections of the test? It's not like some tests just don't have RC...From whence comes this high 160s number? You need to take some serious time (and maybe a prep course) and study your butt off, since you don't actually have any idea of your score potential. I'd cancel the test on Saturday-- remember that you can only take the LSAT three times without a waiver (or waiting even longer). Best of luck, and update us when you have a new score to work with! :-D

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:49 am

MusicNutMeggie wrote:
andyman wrote:

Wait...what? How can you possibly predict what your score *would* be "if" (and it's a big if) you magically got better at one of the sections of the test? It's not like some tests just don't have RC...From whence comes this high 160s number? You need to take some serious time (and maybe a prep course) and study your butt off, since you don't actually have any idea of your score potential. I'd cancel the test on Saturday-- remember that you can only take the LSAT three times without a waiver (or waiting even longer). Best of luck, and update us when you have a new score to work with! :-D
I can see where he's coming from for that. If I had worked harder at LR, I could have had a near perfect score rather than in the high 160s. Seriously, -1 on LG and RC combined, but the LR killed me.

Re: OP, retake the test. It's only one year now compared to the rest of your life.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:00 pm

Sign up now for October LSAT. After the test tomorrow, lots of people will be signing up and taking up the test centers.

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:56 pm

NayBoer wrote:Sign up now for October LSAT. After the test tomorrow, lots of people will be signing up and taking up the test centers.
Good thing I signed up for the closest October LSAT center 2 months ago when I realized that this could be a possibility.

Thx for the info guys

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tru

Bronze

Post by tru » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:40 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:45 pm

Daytukrjabs wrote:Too long.

Need cliff version.
OP didn't work hard enough on LSAT or admissions. Didn't get into great schools. Wants to go to law school this fall. Is signed up for June LSAT but isn't ready.

tru

Bronze

Post by tru » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:46 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:46 pm

Need cliff version.
Rutgers target. 148. Retaking.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stintez

Bronze

Post by stintez » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:54 pm

Daytukrjabs wrote:
bk187 wrote:

Need cliff version.
OP didn't work hard enough on LSAT or admissions. Didn't get into great schools. Wants to go to law school this fall. Is signed up for June LSAT but isn't ready.
So what's the dilemma?

Either I misread something which is possible because I only half ass read this thread but here's a dilemma and correct me if I am wrong but the LSAT is on MONDAY not SATURDAY!!! feel free to tear me apart if I am in fact wrong.

tru

Bronze

Post by tru » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:01 pm

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:03 pm

Daytukrjabs wrote:So what's the dilemma?
There is none really, but the OP's impatience is hindering him/her from retake/reapply.

There is the question of whether the OP should no-show, take, or take+cancel the LSAT on Monday.

op-ti

Bronze

Post by op-ti » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:07 pm

bk187 wrote:I'm in a similar situation. After half-assing the LSAT and application cycle in general, I realized that it would be stupid of me not to retake/reapply. It sucks having to take a year off but graduating 1 year earlier from a crappy school is not worth it when you can take a year off and graduate 1 year later from a better school.

Retake/reapply. Don't let impatience hurt your employment prospects when you setting aside 6 figures of debt and 3 years off your life.
Same situation...how on earth are you planning on explaining this in your addendum?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:10 pm

op-ti wrote:Same situation...how on earth are you planning on explaining this in your addendum?
Explaining what?

tru

Bronze

Post by tru » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:14 pm

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:18 pm

HOLY SHIT! A 148????? As craptastic as I am, I've never failed that epically before. Go figure, 19 months and over 7300 posts and at least I figured that out.

tru

Bronze

Post by tru » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:18 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

op-ti

Bronze

Post by op-ti » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:28 pm

bk187 wrote:
op-ti wrote:Same situation...how on earth are you planning on explaining this in your addendum?
Explaining what?

You half-assing the LSAT and application cycle in general.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:31 pm

op-ti wrote:You half-assing the LSAT and application cycle in general.
Why would I need to write an addendum?

I realized my mistakes. Thus I am retaking the LSAT this month and am going to send in my polished reapplications in Oct/Nov. My reapplications and 2nd LSAT will actually have time put into them that the first applications and LSAT did not.

op-ti

Bronze

Post by op-ti » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:36 pm

bk187 wrote:
op-ti wrote:You half-assing the LSAT and application cycle in general.
Why would I need to write an addendum?

I realized my mistakes. Thus I am retaking the LSAT this month and am going to send in my polished reapplications in Oct/Nov. My reapplications and 2nd LSAT will actually have time put into them that the first applications and LSAT did not.

You would still need a addendum to explain your 2nd LSAT (that is if it is significantly different).

tru

Bronze

Post by tru » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:40 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”