Choosing a school, 4th tier, salary? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
deltasigbn

New

Choosing a school, 4th tier, salary?

Post by deltasigbn » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:40 pm

Thanks.
Last edited by deltasigbn on Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Re: Choosing a school, 4th tier, salary?

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:44 pm

ITE, you'd be lucky to get a job period, and if you do, 50K would be pretty damn good.

Retake the LSAT, and study your ass off for it. Like 2 hours a night for 2 months, hard.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:45 pm

I will have a hard time finding a decent job so I don't want to be working some shitty job for a year.
So you're unwilling to eat a shitty job for one year to study correctly for the LSAT which can have tremendous effects on your starting and long-term salaries? The employability differences between schools are immense. Eat the shitty job, study like a champ, retake.
Also, am I being nieve for looking at the median starting salaries of schools? I always factor that in when looking at schools. Are those numbers accurate?
No. That's the percentage of those that self-report. Who is more likely to report -- someone with a job or someone without?

toolfan

Bronze

Post by toolfan » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:48 pm

I know you don't want to hear hear it, but retake the LSAT. You may not want to work a shitty job for a year, but that is considerably shorter than working a shitty job for 15-20 years after attending Florida Coastal. The problems with Florida Coastal are well documented on tls. I urge you to research the institution a bit more before attending.

Also, you would have virtually no chance at international, IP, or sports law coming from Florida Coastal. But that's just my 2 cents.

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:49 pm

deltasigbn wrote:My original plan was to take a year off, study hard for the LSAT and do better on it.
This.

TLS CW: "Do not go to T3 or T4 school unless it is free AND you already have a job lined up after graduation that you need a J.D. for"

Furthermore, Based well documented statistics many on TLS argue that it is not even worth it to go to a T2 or even T1 outside of the T14 unless you have something close to a full ride. While I don't wholeheartedly agree with these TLS'ers, it shows how bad the legal market is.

HTH

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:53 pm

Self-reported stats are massaged and worthless. I would guess that a minuscule number of Coastal grads actually send back the surveys.

Coastal gets no respect in FL. Someone from Jacksonville posted on another thread that the Public Defender's office will only look at the top 10% of Coastal grads. If this is even remotely true, this is a terrible sign. Also keep in mind that you are on the lowest rung of law school tiers in a horribly glutted FL market with 10 other FL schools. Taking out loans for this hell hole is financial suicide.

Retake the LSAT.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:55 pm

FL Coastal is one of the worst of the accredited law schools. Attrition was 26.4% per ABA.
http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchRes ... BA5320.pdf
So they failed out over a quarter of the 1L class.

In certain contexts, the school you go to can matter even 10 years out. I've seen different ads for in-house counsel jobs that make requirements or cut-offs as to school rank and class rank, even for very experienced applicants.

Just retake the LSAT in Oct.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:56 pm

Or they quit.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Retake the LSAT, and study your ass off for it. Like 8 hours a night for 6 months, hard.
FIFY

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:01 pm

PKSebben wrote:Or they quit.
Oh yeah, sorry. I combined academic and other attrition. Academic-only is 16%.

deltasigbn

New

Post by deltasigbn » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:01 pm

Last edited by deltasigbn on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:02 pm

Yes yes god yes you can make that jump and perhaps beyond that. The LSAT is hella learnable. There are some super solid guides on here that will serve you well.

thatsnotmyname

Bronze

Post by thatsnotmyname » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:03 pm

NayBoer wrote:
In certain contexts, the school you go to can matter even 10 years out. I've seen different ads for in-house counsel jobs that make requirements or cut-offs as to school rank and class rank, even for very experienced applicants.
What are typical cut-offs for such jobs?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:03 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Retake the LSAT, and study your ass off for it. Like 8 hours a night for 6 months, hard.
FIFY
How can you even do that much without running out of prep material? Then again I was a more intuitive LSATer. Some people actually memorize methods by question type and inch their way up the ladder.

deltasigbn

New

Post by deltasigbn » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:05 pm

Last edited by deltasigbn on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:07 pm

thatsnotmyname wrote:
NayBoer wrote:
Some ads I see say "top grades from a top (or elite) law school." I see a lot of clerkships say top quarter or third.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:12 pm

thatsnotmyname wrote:
NayBoer wrote:
It's going to vary wildly based on multiple factors.

The best you can do if you really want biglaw or in-house counsel is to go to a T20 school, or better yet T13.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
FIFY
How can you even do that much without running out of prep material? Then again I was a more intuitive LSATer. Some people actually memorize methods by question type and inch their way up the ladder.
24 weeks*8 hours*5 days/wk (weekends off). 59 Preptests. Spend 2 days on each (do it for 1 day, go over the wrong answers and extra practice the next). That alone is 118 days. Put in intermittent Powerscore bibling and you got 8 hours, 6 months.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
FIFY
The people who memorize the question types are often the same people who freaked out at the Dinos game. A slightly more freeform, chaotic style lets you adapt a little better to the curveballs.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:16 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:24 weeks*8 hours*5 days/wk (weekends off). 59 Preptests. Spend 2 days on each (do it for 1 day, go over the wrong answers and extra practice the next). That alone is 118 days. Put in intermittent Powerscore bibling and you got 8 hours, 6 months.
How can you spend 16 hours on each test? This seems like a level of effort that would be required for somebody dealing with ESL or a learning/reading disability. Or both.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:22 pm

deltasigbn wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
FIFY
Should I take a course, my parents said they will fund it?

If so, which course is recommended?
I'd go with powerscore, but I think self study is better if you can self motivate. You should do and review each preptest available before Oct test.

Try the pithypike study plan (its pinned to the top of the lsat forum on this site).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:26 pm

NayBoer wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:24 weeks*8 hours*5 days/wk (weekends off). 59 Preptests. Spend 2 days on each (do it for 1 day, go over the wrong answers and extra practice the next). That alone is 118 days. Put in intermittent Powerscore bibling and you got 8 hours, 6 months.
How can you spend 16 hours on each test? This seems like a level of effort that would be required for somebody dealing with ESL or a learning/reading disability. Or both.
The first few times (until you get a perfect score) you do it untimed. Let's say that takes 6 hours. Grade it, take a break, have a snack, whatever. That's easily another 40 minutes. Go over the wrong answers, takes 3-4 hours (i.e. actually try to figure out why you got the answer wrong and what mistake you made). Read powerscore. 1 hour. Then you do extra practice questions pertaining to that area. 3-4 hours. Account for intermittent breaks.

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:29 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:
NayBoer wrote:
The first few times (until you get a perfect score) you do it untimed. Let's say that takes 6 hours. Grade it, take a break, have a snack, whatever. That's easily another 40 minutes. Go over the wrong answers, takes 3-4 hours (i.e. actually try to figure out why you got the answer wrong and what mistake you made). Read powerscore. 1 hour. Then you do extra practice questions pertaining to that area. 3-4 hours. Account for intermittent breaks.
Jesus christ dude....

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:29 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:
NayBoer wrote:
Law is not worth this amount of time, and if you need it...

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:30 pm

6 hours on an untimed PT? Assuming 4 sections, that's 90 minutes each. I think if it you takes you 90 minutes then you aren't yet ready to do PTs and should just focus on the bibles, to learn the basics.

I realize you must be joking, but you seem to be serious.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”