UNC Application Cycle (for Fall 2011 matriculation)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
IBThatGuy
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:44 pm

UNC Application Cycle (for Fall 2011 matriculation)

Postby IBThatGuy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:53 pm

As I understand it, splitters are at least usually well-advised to apply as early in the cycle as possible. Based on recent PrepTests, I suspect I'll be applying as a slight splitter (165, 3.25, in state).

On balance, my top choice (of non-reach schools) is Carolina, which has (on this forum, at least) a reputation for lengthy waits on responses. They begin accepting applications on October 1, 2010. Assuming my application is complete within a few days of that, do I need to expect a long wait for the response?

I ask because I'm considering canceling the June LSAT score and taking it in October. I feel like I should be able to pick up two-three points. I completely skipped last December, in order to wait and take it this year. Ultimately, I think my situation is at least somewhat normal:I'm torn between completing early (when my low GPA will be less of a liability) and completing about three weeks later (when my score might be slightly higher, but more applications will already be in).

Thanks

CMDantes
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: UNC Application Cycle (for Fall 2011 matriculation)

Postby CMDantes » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:30 am

I'm interested in this as well.

User avatar
jss1100
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 6:25 pm

Re: UNC Application Cycle (for Fall 2011 matriculation)

Postby jss1100 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:56 pm

Yes, you should expect several months of waiting with UNC. Late January-Early Feb at the soonest.

User avatar
deadpanic
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:09 pm

Re: UNC Application Cycle (for Fall 2011 matriculation)

Postby deadpanic » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:03 pm

FWIW, on LSN there was a 165/3.25 in-state that was waitlisted at UNC this year and applied early (October).

I don't think UNC cares as much about early applications as other schools.

User avatar
Schrute Farms Beets
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:44 am

Re: UNC Application Cycle (for Fall 2011 matriculation)

Postby Schrute Farms Beets » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:06 pm

IBThatGuy wrote:As I understand it, splitters are at least usually well-advised to apply as early in the cycle as possible. Based on recent PrepTests, I suspect I'll be applying as a slight splitter (165, 3.25, in state).

On balance, my top choice (of non-reach schools) is Carolina, which has (on this forum, at least) a reputation for lengthy waits on responses. They begin accepting applications on October 1, 2010. Assuming my application is complete within a few days of that, do I need to expect a long wait for the response?

I ask because I'm considering canceling the June LSAT score and taking it in October. I feel like I should be able to pick up two-three points. I completely skipped last December, in order to wait and take it this year. Ultimately, I think my situation is at least somewhat normal:I'm torn between completing early (when my low GPA will be less of a liability) and completing about three weeks later (when my score might be slightly higher, but more applications will already be in).

Thanks


Yes you should expect a long wait. Unless they change the process for next year, they don't begin reviewing applications until January. Though during this past application cycle some people began receiving acceptances late Jan early Feb, most didn't begin receiving acceptances until late Feb-March. I don't know if you've read through the University of North Carolina 2013 thread but that was the thread for the last cycle. Here's the link just in case.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=100047

IBThatGuy
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:44 pm

Re: UNC Application Cycle (for Fall 2011 matriculation)

Postby IBThatGuy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:47 pm

deadpanic wrote:FWIW, on LSN there was a 165/3.25 in-state that was waitlisted at UNC this year and applied early (October).

I don't think UNC cares as much about early applications as other schools.


I contacted a boatload of people on LSN (with numbers similar to mine) that were waitlisted or who never updated their status. Only one has responded, but I'm hoping more will. Of course, that was mainly regarding the end result, rather than wait time.

Do you mean that they likely won't respond sooner because I applied early, or that it probably won't even help my chances?

jss1100 wrote:Yes, you should expect several months of waiting with UNC. Late January-Early Feb at the soonest.


Since they're my top choice, what do I do while I wait for them? I think I'll get into some other programs (mosty ranging in location from North Carolina to Pennsylvania). I think I have a good shot at Wake Forest, for instance. Do I just tell everyone: Hold on: I'm waiting to hear from UNC?

Alternatively, do I cancel the June score and take the October score, after all?

User avatar
solotee
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: UNC Application Cycle (for Fall 2011 matriculation)

Postby solotee » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:16 pm

.
Last edited by solotee on Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tarheel87
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:22 pm

Re: UNC Application Cycle (for Fall 2011 matriculation)

Postby tarheel87 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:16 pm

deadpanic wrote:FWIW, on LSN there was a 165/3.25 in-state that was waitlisted at UNC this year and applied early (October).

I don't think UNC cares as much about early applications as other schools.


Haha, that'd be me. Good luck, I'd say your chances are around the upper 30s to maybe 40% at best, they love high GPAs, but you got a fighting chance!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Abbie Doobie, Anon2468, cocozhang9950, goldenbear2020 and 9 guests