Confusing e-mail: Am I off the WL?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JustAPerson

Confusing e-mail: Am I off the WL?

Postby JustAPerson » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:49 pm

Last week, a person from admissions e-mailed me. The person said there is a seat open for next year's class. The person explained that the admissions committee looked over my application and wanted to know whether or not I was still interested in the law school. I responded, I would positively accept an offer of admission. The person said that my response would be given to the admissions committee the next time they review my application, there would be a quick deliberation, and they would get back to me.

Is this an indication that I am going to get off the WL?
Last edited by JustAPerson on Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

megaTTTron

Re: Confusing e-mail: Am I off the WL?

Postby megaTTTron » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:50 pm

this has GOT to be a flame.

JustAPerson

Postby JustAPerson » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:53 pm

I'm not meaning to flame.. I thought I was asking a legitimate question..

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:54 pm

JustAPerson wrote:I'm not meaning to flame.. I thought I was asking a legitimate question..

Oh okay, here's your answer:

The person said that my response would be given to the admissions committee the next time they review my application, there would be a quick deliberation, and they would get back to me.

How would anyone here have any idea? Of course it's an indication you might get off the waitlist. Hahaha.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:55 pm

megaTTTron wrote:this has GOT to be a flame.

Why? I hate the flame patrol that goes around calling everything a flame. People usually only flame to be get a rise out of people, be annoying, or funny. This is none of those things. What may seem obvious to you is not obvious to everyone.

I can see being confused about this. I think it is a good sign, give the OPs description, but might not be a sure thing. It sounds like they are going to do a waitlist review and want to see if the OP is still interested. This means there is definitely a space but not that the space is definitely going to the OP. OP: I would feel good about this.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:57 pm

Hey-O wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:this has GOT to be a flame.

Why? I hate the flame patrol that goes around calling everything a flame. People usually only flame to be get a rise out of people, be annoying, or funny. This is none of those things. What may seem obvious to you is not obvious to everyone.

I can see being confused about this. I think it is a good sign, give the OPs description, but might not be a sure thing. It sounds like they are going to do a waitlist review and want to see if the OP is still interested. This means there is definitely a space but not that the space is definitely going to the OP. OP: I would feel good about this.

flame.

JustAPerson

Postby JustAPerson » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:05 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
JustAPerson wrote:I'm not meaning to flame.. I thought I was asking a legitimate question..

The person said that my response would be given to the admissions committee the next time they review my application, there would be a quick deliberation, and they would get back to me.

How would anyone here have any idea? Of course it's an indication you might get off the waitlist. Hahaha.

I forgot I was posting on a forum with a bunch of current/future lawyers. Let me re-phrase my question, how GOOD of an indication is it?

I was wondering if this sort of e-mail followed by an acceptance off the WL is standard practice in the law school admissions world.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:10 pm

JustAPerson wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:

I forgot I was posting on a forum with a bunch of current/future lawyers. Let me re-phrase my question, how GOOD of an indication is it?

I was wondering if this sort of e-mail followed by an acceptance off the WL is standard practice in the law school admissions world.

I'm just messing around, it's definitely a good thing. I think it would depend on how enthusiastic your response to the e-mail was. Depending on the individuality of the e-mail it may also indicate that you are among a select few preferred WL candidates that they are looking to accept first.

Either way, as Anti-Flame above mentioned, it's definitely a good sign. Maybe call tomorrow and ask about the status?

Aside me being a jerk, I got in off the WL last year too, so gooooood luck.

Son of Cicero

Postby Son of Cicero » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:39 pm

JustAPerson wrote:Last week, a person from admissions e-mailed me. The person said there is a seat open for next year's class. The person explained that the admissions committee looked over my application and wanted to know whether or not I was still interested in the law school. I responded, I would positively accept an offer of admission. The person said that my response would be given to the admissions committee the next time they review my application, there would be a quick deliberation, and they would get back to me.

Is this an indication that I am going to get off the WL?

These things always seem to happen right before a long weekend. Sadistic adcomms take pleasure in knowing that someone out there is trying to convince himself that good news is on the way, and that it has just been delayed a little due to an intervening holiday. Good luck, d00d.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:09 am

Looks promising, but it sounds like they have only a few spots open, or maybe only 1, and they're going to have the faculty decide among the remaining WLers who are interested in attending at this point.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”