Undergraduate in distress!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
newrich

Undergraduate in distress!

Postby newrich » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:15 pm

Hi all-
So, I just completed my Freshman year at a good undergraduate business school (top 30 B-Week). I earned a 3.9 gpa and think that if I keep up the good work next year, I can transfer to a better undergraduate college. I'm actually on a full ride to this university. I know that I want to go to law school. So, I'm asking if I should transfer. I really want to go to HLS, SLS, or other top law schools. Is transfering from my good, undergrad school to a great undergrad school worth it? I have read that Harvard College is the top feeder school to top law schools. Is this because of Harvard, or just due to the high quality of the students? Thanks guys!

booboo

Re: Undergraduate in distress!

Postby booboo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:25 pm

Get your GPA as close to a 4.0 (or above) as possible at your current school, graduate near debt free, and score a 172+ on the LSAT. Your only concern then would be to write a decent personal statement and get positive recommendations.

Good luck!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:27 pm

Your UG college is not going to matter much (small small small possible boost from HYP). What is going to matter, as booboo noted, is getting the best possible GPA and the highest possible LSAT.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:32 pm

newrich wrote:I have read that Harvard College is the top feeder school to top law schools. Is this because of Harvard, or just due to the high quality of the students? Thanks guys!

Very good question! To answer it, it is due pretty much entirely to the high quality of students there. Harvard students, and other students of top undergraduate schools, tend to have much higher average LSAT scores than students of other schools.

My advice is to be wherever you want to be. Law schools (even the top ones) don't really care where your 3.9 is from, they just care it is a 3.9. That said, some people believe there is a very small bump given to Ivy League graduates (that is to say, a 3.8 from Harvard is not the same as a 3.8 from a state university). The bump is so small, though, that I don't think you should base your decision to transfer on it.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:43 pm

You're already at a good school. Keep up the GPA and score well on the LSAT. Law school is a numbers game, not a prestige game.

Congrats and good luck!

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:58 pm

If your goal is HYS (the top 3 law schools), it may be worth it to transfer to an Ivy caliber school, especially if they give you substantial financial aid. However, any private undergrad is definitely not worth sticker in your case.

newrich

Postby newrich » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:01 pm

im_blue wrote:If your goal is HYS (the top 3 law schools), it may be worth it to transfer to an Ivy caliber school, especially if they give you substantial financial aid. However, any private undergrad is definitely not worth sticker in your case.

My family has alot of money. Thus, I will not get any financial aid anywhere. In addition to this, I'm pretty sure Harvard or Yale college do not give any merit aid. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:02 pm

Congrats on the full ride! I'd stick with the UG school you're at, unless you think you can get around a 3.9 at a HYP-ish school.

BeachedBrit

Postby BeachedBrit » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:03 pm

Your decision to transfer should depend on whether or not you think you would be likely to end up choosing to pursue a graduate degree in business instead of/alongside a law degree. If you think that you may do so then it would make some sense to transfer "up." My understanding is that admissions to graduate business programs place significantly more value upon the applicants undergraduate institution's prestige so naturally maximizing that prestige seems important.

If you are not interested in an MBA or something like that then you unequivocally should not transfer as the debt you would potentially incur at a higher ranked undergrad would be unjustified. The numbers (and TLS users echo this) that law schools don't care where you went to undergrad. Stay where you are and be the best.

kevin261186

Postby kevin261186 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:09 pm

Firstly, you are not in distress, you have a full ride to a good school with a shot at a superb transfer and a family with tons of money.

If I were in your shoes I would try to transfer. Given that you are still young, you might change yoru mind about law school and an HYP degree will open a lot more doors in terms of other careers should you change your mind about LS, whcih you might should you continue to read TLS on a regular basis.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:14 pm

newrich wrote:
im_blue wrote:If your goal is HYS (the top 3 law schools), it may be worth it to transfer to an Ivy caliber school, especially if they give you substantial financial aid. However, any private undergrad is definitely not worth sticker in your case.

My family has alot of money. Thus, I will not get any financial aid anywhere. In addition to this, I'm pretty sure Harvard or Yale college do not give any merit aid. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You're right, HYP don't give any merit aid. I'm curious why you chose a full ride over sticker at a more prestigious college to begin with, given that money isn't an issue.

newrich

Postby newrich » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:30 pm

im_blue wrote:
newrich wrote:

You're right, HYP don't give any merit aid. I'm curious why you chose a full ride over sticker at a more prestigious college to begin with, given that money isn't an issue.

Yeah, I did well in high school, but reached my full potential in college. But, if I applky to transfer after sophmore year, high school is ancient history, at least that is what I have been hearing from everyone.

newrich

Postby newrich » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:43 pm

Anyway, I know this is not the right forum, but where would you say I could transfer with a 3.9 and alot of EC's..

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”