"Indicate your cum. gpa at your undergraduate degree inst."

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rundoxierun

"Indicate your cum. gpa at your undergraduate degree inst."

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:45 pm

Umm, so I looked through open applications in preparation for what to expect in the fall and I ran across this question. Does anyone know precisely what it is looking for?? I transferred following my freshman year so my degree granting institution does not encompass my entire gpa. In fact, my gpas are pretty vastly different depending on how you look at the. My degree gpa as calculated by LSAC is 4.17(4.00 as calculated by my degree school) but my overall cumulative gpa as calculated by LSAC is 3.66(horrible freshman year). Which would I put?

clintonius

Re: "Indicate your cum. gpa at your undergraduate degree inst."

Postby clintonius » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:51 pm

The latter.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:55 pm

clintonius wrote:The latter.

While I'm surprised by the language in the question, I disagree with you. If the language explicitly states that they want the GPA from "your undergraduate degree institution" this sounds like it refers to the degree granting institution only.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:06 pm

The OP differentiates between his/her cumulative GPA and the GPA of his/her major, not GPA at the current undergrad and cum. GPA at all institutions s/he has attended:
tkgrrett wrote:My degree gpa as calculated by LSAC is 4.17(4.00 as calculated by my degree school) but my overall cumulative gpa as calculated by LSAC is 3.66(horrible freshman year). Which would I put?

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:23 pm

clintonius wrote:The OP differentiates between his/her cumulative GPA and the GPA of his/her major, not GPA at the current undergrad and cum. GPA at all institutions s/he has attended:
tkgrrett wrote:My degree gpa as calculated by LSAC is 4.17(4.00 as calculated by my degree school) but my overall cumulative gpa as calculated by LSAC is 3.66(horrible freshman year). Which would I put?

Umm no.. I'm not differentiating btn major gpa and cum gpa. I am in fact talking about current undegrad vs cum gpa at all institutions.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:24 pm

I stand corrected. To be fair, you did say "degree GPA," which means GPA in your degree (major).

At any rate, if there's a large discrepancy between the GPA at your current institution and your cumulative GPA across all schools, I think it would look shady to put the more beneficial one on your application considering the school will see the LSAC report that takes all schools into account.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:33 pm

clintonius wrote:I stand corrected. To be fair, you did say "degree GPA," which means GPA in your degree (major).

At any rate, if there's a large discrepancy between the GPA at your current institution and your cumulative GPA across all schools, I think it would look shady to put the more beneficial one on your application considering the school will see the LSAC report that takes all schools into account.

Yea obviously I know they have the report. Maybe I need to be more clear. This isn't an "I think" question or an attempt to be shady. The question is about being precise. The question in question comes from the univ. Of chicago app, surely someone had to answer it.

Woozy

Postby Woozy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:39 pm

Put whatever you want, they will only be looking at the LSAC GPA anyway.

Full disclosure: I used the GPA that was on my UG transcript, which was about .2 higher than my LSAC GPA.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:50 pm

If it does ask for "degree granting instituition" then I think you are fine indicating that.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:56 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
clintonius wrote:I stand corrected. To be fair, you did say "degree GPA," which means GPA in your degree (major).

Yea obviously I know they have the report. Maybe I need to be more clear. This isn't an "I think" question or an attempt to be shady. The question is about being precise. The question in question comes from the univ. Of chicago app, surely someone had to answer it.

In that case I would go to the Chicago 2013 thread and ask people what they put or contact the U of C admissions office if you really need peace of mind. If it says "degree granting institution", that seems pretty clear to me though. I think I actually put that in my Chicago app, but I can't verify anything because I never submitted it since my UVA ED acceptance came in before completing it.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:08 pm

Ok.. thanks for the replies, looks like I'm putting down a 4.0

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”