"Best all-around camper" awards

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ConsideringLawSchool

"Best all-around camper" awards

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Mon May 31, 2010 9:58 pm

I'm sure every college has some version of these awards--the prizes given out at graduation for the 1-2 students with the most notable accomplishments/contributions/whatever terminology the particular college has. Coupled with a high LSAT score and strong resume, can these awards be helpful in reducing the impact of a low GPA (by showing the student didn't just screw around in college)?

romothesavior

Re: "Best all-around camper" awards

Postby romothesavior » Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 pm

ConsideringLawSchool wrote:I'm sure every college has some version of these awards--the prizes given out at graduation for the 1-2 students with the most notable accomplishments/contributions/whatever terminology the particular college has. Coupled with a high LSAT score and strong resume, can these awards be helpful in reducing the impact of a low GPA (by showing the student didn't just screw around in college)?

What kind of school gives these awards out to students with low GPAs? We have a similar type of award and give them to 5 students every year, and most of the students are 3.9+ students who are also presidents of organizations, members of Greek life, ambassadors for the school, top athletes, etc. All around fantastic students.

But yeah, if you can incorporate it and properly describe it in your resume, it could be a small boost. But I doubt it mitigates the bad GPA entirely. Your numbers will still trump.

ConsideringLawSchool

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:01 am

romothesavior wrote:
ConsideringLawSchool wrote:I'm sure every college has some version of these awards--the prizes given out at graduation for the 1-2 students with the most notable accomplishments/contributions/whatever terminology the particular college has. Coupled with a high LSAT score and strong resume, can these awards be helpful in reducing the impact of a low GPA (by showing the student didn't just screw around in college)?

What kind of school gives these awards out to students with low GPAs? We have a similar type of award and give them to 5 students every year, and most of the students are 3.9+ students who are also presidents of organizations, members of Greek life, ambassadors for the school, top athletes, etc. All around fantastic students.

But yeah, if you can incorporate it and properly describe it in your resume, it could be a small boost. But I doubt it mitigates the bad GPA entirely. Your numbers will still trump.

I went to a top UG, and they give out the awards every year... basically to the kids the deans/President select on whatever criteria they wish to use that year. The kids, on average, probably do have high GPAs, but the awards do not specifically state a GPA requirement.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:06 am

ConsideringLawSchool wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I went to a top UG, and they give out the awards every year... basically to the kids the deans/President select on whatever criteria they wish to use that year. The kids, on average, probably do have high GPAs, but the awards do not specifically state a GPA requirement.

I wouldn't expect it to make up for the GPA, but it could be a good thing to highlight. I'd try to get the president or whoever nominated you for it to write a LOR.

ConsideringLawSchool

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:48 pm

romothesavior wrote:
ConsideringLawSchool wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I wouldn't expect it to make up for the GPA, but it could be a good thing to highlight. I'd try to get the president or whoever nominated you for it to write a LOR.

Sounds about right to me.

ConsideringLawSchool

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:34 pm

Any other experiences here?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”