Cancel test or take the score? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Karli

New

Cancel test or take the score?

Post by Karli » Mon May 31, 2010 1:51 pm

I am taking the LSAT this June 7th, a week from today. I started studying 2 months previously, and have taken 12 prep tests, scoring consistently in the 160's. However, I really want to score in the very high 160's or ideally around a 170+. As I have only a week left, I have been contemplating taking the test and canceling, to re-take in October, hopefully studying and improving my scores in the time in-between. But then part of me says I should just have it scored, and either roll with it or then take the test again if I really believe I can improve that much more in the ensuing months. Some friends firmly believe if I really put in the effort, I can still improve my score.

What should I do? Recommendations?

Thank you so much for any input in regards to my dilemma!

MURPH

Silver

Re: Cancel test or take the score?

Post by MURPH » Mon May 31, 2010 1:54 pm

Chill.
Take the test. Do your best. If you are dissatisfied retake. Schools only care about your highest LSAT score so if you need to you can retake. If you are satisfied you can get your application done this summer and apply the very first day that they begin accepting applications, before they've read 6000 copies of the same crap. You'll have a slight advantage.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon May 31, 2010 3:08 pm

If you've been studying for two months and have scored consistently on 12 practice tests, it seems like your studying at this point isn't really paying big dividends. You should take it in June and accept your score, barring some tragedy (e.g. diabetic coma, family member dies before test, proctor beats you up and takes milk money). Unless you're still improving on your scores, whatever you get in June is probably about as well as you can expect to do.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:36 am

If you are not pleased with your score then you should read Pithypikes thread. That'll teach you how to study.

yabbadabbado

Bronze

Post by yabbadabbado » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:58 am

12 practice tests is nothing. If you're not happy with how you are scoring on those, I don't see the point of taking the real thing. At best, getting an official score that you don't like is only going to hurt you psychologically when you are gearing up for a retake. Don't take the test until you are absolutely ready.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:03 pm

yabbadabbado wrote:12 practice tests is nothing. If you're not happy with how you are scoring on those, I don't see the point of taking the real thing. At best, getting an official score that you don't like is only going to hurt you psychologically when you are gearing up for a retake. Don't take the test until you are absolutely ready.
I agree 12 PTs is nothing but disagree about not taking the test. The second time is so much less stressful.

Karli

New

Post by Karli » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:08 pm

Thanks for all the input. I am signed up for the test, seeing as it is in less than a week and can't opt out, so I am taking it regardless. How I feel right now is that I will base my action off of how I feel after taking the test - if I feel like I performed well I will take the score, if I don't feel good I will cancel.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”