Taking Questions on Entertainment/Video Game Law

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
moandersen

Re: Taking Questions on Entertainment/Video Game Law

Postby moandersen » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:51 am

PwnLaw wrote:
moandersen wrote:I have always had love of video games, and I think that stems from my uncle being one of the original members of electronic arts. Because of that, one of my dream jobs has always been to work for EA. Unfortunately he (along with basically all the other og members) retired a long time ago and has very little connections still at the company. How does one go about working in-house for a company like EA? Do they hire 1Ls or 2Ls for summer work to help/learn from those in-house? Thanks for any insight.

Connections are normally your best bet. I don't recall specifically whether they have an intern program in their attorney group; I'll give them a call and see. Most game companies will bring folks on for a summer, but there may be strings attached. I would suggest reading up on their products, researching the attorneys through LinkedIn to get an idea of what type of work is being performed internally, and then crafting a letter based off of the info you've collected.

Thanks for the insight. PM me if you find anything out. I hope to take a number of tech-related law classes (I currently work in IT) after my 1L and am leaning right now, which means absolutely nothing, toward tech law of some sort.

PwnLaw

Postby PwnLaw » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:25 am

No problem, I'll let you know if/when I hear back.

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:31 am

Would you recommend going law school if it were just for the money?

PwnLaw

Postby PwnLaw » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:35 am

PLATONiC wrote:Would you recommend going law school if it were just for the money?

No. The math is wrong under current circumstances. In fact, it may have never been right. Most people that do get the BigLaw only stay long enough to pay off their debt. You don't get rich from law.

Also, the practice of law is unbearable if you don't have at least a passing interest in it.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:44 am

I once met someone that works in house for XBOX. Sweet gig.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”