Taking Questions on Entertainment/Video Game Law Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PwnLaw

Bronze

Taking Questions on Entertainment/Video Game Law

Post by PwnLaw » Sun May 30, 2010 11:54 pm

Per my other thread and in hopes of stemming the flow of the PMs somewhat.

I practice in the entertainment - technology space with a specialization in games. Based out in California.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Re: Taking Questions on Entertainment/Video Game Law

Post by Sauer Grapes » Mon May 31, 2010 12:07 am

Did you have a tech or science related UG major? What electives in LS do you now find particularly helpful in your current field? How did you get interested in Video Game Law?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon May 31, 2010 12:08 am

What types of things are employers looking for?

In terms of specific firms, what are some of the heavy hitters in the field?

PwnLaw

Bronze

Post by PwnLaw » Mon May 31, 2010 12:11 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:Did you have a tech or science related UG major? What electives in LS do you now find particularly helpful in your current field? How did you get interested in Video Game Law?
1) No. Liberal arts. Tech background, particularly EE, is ideal for the patent side.

2) I ended up in entertainment by accident and then pushed into video games from there. I originally planned on doing a different type of work and my classes reflected that. If I were interested I'd definitely take classes on soft IP and internet law.

3) I've always enjoyed games. I ended up in entertainment and wasn't wild about the traditional entertainment scene so I pushed my firm into expanding our efforts to bring on game clients. I just so happened to coincide with the recent surge in games (particularly social games and the like) so there is a solid amount of work.

PwnLaw

Bronze

Post by PwnLaw » Mon May 31, 2010 12:14 am

romothesavior wrote:What types of things are employers looking for?

In terms of specific firms, what are some of the heavy hitters in the field?
It very much depends on who you are talking to. I push my firm to hire people who have relationships in the space or a demonstrated interest (plays video games, written a note on the subject, keeps abreast of current events).

In terms of people who handle some of the work:
Sheppard Mullin
MoFo
OMM
Latham Watkins
Loeb & Loeb
Nixon Peabody.

I'd say Sheppard and Loeb have the most work.

There are some boutiques and a number of solos that handle the work as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JohnWild

New

Post by JohnWild » Mon May 31, 2010 2:16 am

What are your thoughts on the pending lawsuit with ATVI (Activision Blizzard) and their former Call of Duty developers?

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Mon May 31, 2010 2:20 am

JohnWild wrote:What are your thoughts on the pending lawsuit with ATVI (Activision Blizzard) and their former Call of Duty developers?
Interested as well, although I doubt he'll want to comment.

This is one of the reasons I'd hesitate to go into this field: because you'd get stuck defending douchebags like Activision.

JohnWild

New

Post by JohnWild » Mon May 31, 2010 2:28 am

Why do you think they are douchebags? Not being hostile / taking issue with that statement, I just don't know very much about the case.

DanInALionsDen

Bronze

Post by DanInALionsDen » Mon May 31, 2010 2:29 am

When is Diablo 3 coming out?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PwnLaw

Bronze

Post by PwnLaw » Mon May 31, 2010 4:11 am

:D
Last edited by PwnLaw on Mon May 31, 2010 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PwnLaw

Bronze

Post by PwnLaw » Mon May 31, 2010 4:12 am

DanInALionsDen wrote:When is Diablo 3 coming out?
When it's ready, like all Blizzard games.

SC2 is looking pretty good though. Been playing that into the ground when I've got the free time.

So is Cataclysm. Not much for WoW though.

byunbee

Bronze

Post by byunbee » Mon May 31, 2010 4:18 am

PwnLaw wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:When is Diablo 3 coming out?
When it's ready, like all Blizzard games.

SC2 is looking pretty good though. Been playing that into the ground when I've got the free time.

So is Cataclysm. Not much for WoW though.
What does your gf think about you spending your free time playing starcraft? :D

PwnLaw

Bronze

Post by PwnLaw » Mon May 31, 2010 4:23 am

I only play late at night after she's gone to bed or on the weekends. She needs 9 hours of sleep and I need 5. Leaves a decent amount of free time. Besides, it's my job. :mrgreen:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

waldodanto

New

Post by waldodanto » Mon May 31, 2010 5:10 am

On a scale of 1-terrible, how bad was the recent comcast ruling for game studios? Are you worried telecoms could charge gamers more for the bandwidth they use compared to regular users?

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Mon May 31, 2010 8:28 am

You don't know anything about the amount of work in the fashion ip do you? It's sort of entertainment.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Mon May 31, 2010 8:44 am

PwnLaw wrote:I only play late at night after she's gone to bed or on the weekends. She needs 9 hours of sleep and I need 5. Leaves a decent amount of free time. Besides, it's my job. :mrgreen:
I know this isn't really a question regarding entertainment/video game law, but bear with me. I'm sure it's mostly genetic and varies person-to-person, but is there anything you can attribute to you needing such little sleep? I'm currently one of those people who need a solid 8 in order to function and would like to slowly lower that, if it's even possible.

PwnLaw

Bronze

Post by PwnLaw » Mon May 31, 2010 3:05 pm

waldodanto wrote:On a scale of 1-terrible, how bad was the recent comcast ruling for game studios? Are you worried telecoms could charge gamers more for the bandwidth they use compared to regular users?
I don't think it'll affect regular gameplay, but I do think it could have an impact on digital distribution and streaming (OnLive, Gaikai, etc.). But it'll largely depend on where the pay levels are established in terms of MB/Month, if the ISP move to that system at all. Lots of questions.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PwnLaw

Bronze

Post by PwnLaw » Mon May 31, 2010 3:07 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:You don't know anything about the amount of work in the fashion ip do you? It's sort of entertainment.
I know very little about who does fashion work. I've occasionally dealt with fashion clients when they're looking to do some branding initiatives involving games, but most of that work is handled elsewhere in the firm. Not sure which other firms do it.

PwnLaw

Bronze

Post by PwnLaw » Mon May 31, 2010 3:09 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:
PwnLaw wrote:I only play late at night after she's gone to bed or on the weekends. She needs 9 hours of sleep and I need 5. Leaves a decent amount of free time. Besides, it's my job. :mrgreen:
I know this isn't really a question regarding entertainment/video game law, but bear with me. I'm sure it's mostly genetic and varies person-to-person, but is there anything you can attribute to you needing such little sleep? I'm currently one of those people who need a solid 8 in order to function and would like to slowly lower that, if it's even possible.
It runs in my family. I've only slept 5-6 hours a night since I was about 12. If I get over 7.5 hours in a night I'm effectively worthless. It's odd, but I don't fight it.

ExpectLess

Bronze

Post by ExpectLess » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:45 pm

I most likely will end up at Berkeley or Stanford, have always been interested in entertainment law, and have also always been interested in video games, but I never imagined video game law would be a viable option. Did you have connections when getting into the field, or is it possible--or perhaps, more importantly, realistic--for one to get into this field by themselves? I would love to practice in a field like this, but not if the competition or barriers to entry are prohibitively high, especially compared to other IP fields.

PwnLaw

Bronze

Post by PwnLaw » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:52 am

ExpectLess wrote:I most likely will end up at Berkeley or Stanford, have always been interested in entertainment law, and have also always been interested in video games, but I never imagined video game law would be a viable option. Did you have connections when getting into the field, or is it possible--or perhaps, more importantly, realistic--for one to get into this field by themselves? I would love to practice in a field like this, but not if the competition or barriers to entry are prohibitively high, especially compared to other IP fields.
Odd, my earlier response was swallowed up by the interwebs.

Entertainment law is highly competitive and very few firms hire associates directly out of law school to work on entertainment matters. My general advice is that you shouldn't lead your life like you're going into entertainment, but there's no harm in doing your best to keep the option open (without prejudicing alternatives). Take courses like Internet law, Copyright/Trademark, Licensing, Right of Publicity, etc. Join the Entertainment Journal. Write a meaningful note on a topic in the space (bonus points if you target a firm and write a note about a recent case they handled). Read the relevant trade journals -- Variety, Deadline Hollywood, Hollywood Reporter come to mind. Look at your school's alumni network and target people in the industry and seek out their advice/assistance.

Realize that Stanford and Boalt aren't going to close any doors, but they don't have deep alumni networks in entertainment like USC and UCLA do (but I'd take S or B over either of those, which is in line with my prior thoughts).

There's more, but that's what's coming to mind right now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DavidYurman85

Bronze

Post by DavidYurman85 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:30 am

Thanks for taking questions!

Do you have any experience/advice on working specifically with film studios/distribution/production companies? I'm thinking Sony, Lionsgate, Dreamworks, etc...

Are there any firms that typically feed into the above? I assume most don't hire grads right out of ls. I have a film background and would welcome the opportunity to merge the two.

PwnLaw

Bronze

Post by PwnLaw » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:53 pm

DavidYurman85 wrote:Thanks for taking questions!

Do you have any experience/advice on working specifically with film studios/distribution/production companies? I'm thinking Sony, Lionsgate, Dreamworks, etc...

Are there any firms that typically feed into the above? I assume most don't hire grads right out of ls. I have a film background and would welcome the opportunity to merge the two.
We have a core traditional entertainment team that handles that work. We do work for almost all of the major studios in some capacity, but I don't recall which we do production work for (often that type of work is handled in house). The general exit option is to a studio. My firm occasionally hires new grads for that type of work, but it is dependent on the particular needs from year to year.

I do not personally do production work.

There are a number of firms that service this type of work, but most of them do not hire directly our of law school. Entertainment boutiques normally require a few years (both talent and studio side). And there aren't a tremendous amount of larger firms that handle production work. I'll cop to not being extraordinairly knowledgeable about this stuff since it isn't my particular cup of tea.

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:21 pm

I have always had love of video games, and I think that stems from my uncle being one of the original members of electronic arts. Because of that, one of my dream jobs has always been to work for EA. Unfortunately he (along with basically all the other og members) retired a long time ago and has very little connections still at the company. How does one go about working in-house for a company like EA? Do they hire 1Ls or 2Ls for summer work to help/learn from those in-house? Thanks for any insight.

PwnLaw

Bronze

Post by PwnLaw » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:49 am

moandersen wrote:I have always had love of video games, and I think that stems from my uncle being one of the original members of electronic arts. Because of that, one of my dream jobs has always been to work for EA. Unfortunately he (along with basically all the other og members) retired a long time ago and has very little connections still at the company. How does one go about working in-house for a company like EA? Do they hire 1Ls or 2Ls for summer work to help/learn from those in-house? Thanks for any insight.
Connections are normally your best bet. I don't recall specifically whether they have an intern program in their attorney group; I'll give them a call and see. Most game companies will bring folks on for a summer, but there may be strings attached. I would suggest reading up on their products, researching the attorneys through LinkedIn to get an idea of what type of work is being performed internally, and then crafting a letter based off of the info you've collected.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”