in DEEP TROUBLE, PLEASE HELP!!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
airfrance87

Re: in DEEP TROUBLE, PLEASE HELP!!

Postby airfrance87 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:35 pm

mjcaccio wrote:
airfrance87 wrote:
A'nold wrote:
A'nold wrote:I seriously doubt just b/c the school has only two GRADUATION dates that this means you aren't GRADUATED when you finish in August.

Hello? The greatest overlooked advice on this entire thread?

i am confused on that too. Like if i only get my graduate certificate in november...will law school accept my august transcript?

Graduation is nothing but a ceremony, the important part of the degree is getting the credits done. If your credits are done in August, you should have a graduation/completion date of August. When I got my Master's degree I didn't even attend graduation, and didn't get the diploma for two years because BU is apparently incompetent when it comes to mailings. The degree is complete when the classes are complete.

oh WOW, if that is the case...you know wut, i am gonna talk to the advisor or dean wutever this week as early as possible to see if that can be a way out of this mess.

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Sun May 30, 2010 7:37 pm

mjcaccio wrote:
airfrance87 wrote:The degree is complete when the classes are complete.

The problem might be if the last day of summer classes end after the first day of 1L ... check that and start kissing professor's ass!

airfrance87

Postby airfrance87 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:39 pm

Mattalones wrote:
mjcaccio wrote:
airfrance87 wrote:The degree is complete when the classes are complete.

The problem might be if the last day of summer classes end after the first day of 1L ... check that and start kissing professor's ass!

the last summer class ends august 13th but i am not sure when do exam results come out and show on the transcript, which then i have to mail to the law school asap. What i am afraid is that will there be enough time to mail it to the law school.

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Sun May 30, 2010 7:40 pm

What ever happened to working out a deal with the professor? That is the obvious first step. Rule that out before doing anything else. If it works, then it's all unofficial and you'll just have a grade change, which isn't factored in your UGPA (retakes are).

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun May 30, 2010 7:42 pm

airfrance87 wrote:
A'nold wrote:
A'nold wrote:I seriously doubt just b/c the school has only two GRADUATION dates that this means you aren't GRADUATED when you finish in August.

Hello? The greatest overlooked advice on this entire thread?

i am confused on that too. Like if i only get my graduate certificate in november...will law school accept my august transcript?

Important distinction: graduation ceremony =/= graduation. At my university, people graduate in the summer all the time, they just choose to attend one of the school's two yearly graduation ceremonies. So, if your school only has two ceremonies (Fall and Spring probably) it doesn't necessarily mean that students don't graduate at other times. Graduating refers to the school recognizing you as having completed all the requirements to graduate and conferring your degree on you.

Long story short: If your professor won't raise your grade, talk to your undergrad institution and ask them whether, if you complete this course over the summer, they will consider you to have "graduated" and received your degree during the summer, or if they wait for you to be considered an official graduate until later.

If you are not considered to have received your degree/graduated until November, then you're boned as far as law school goes for this fall.

airfrance87

Postby airfrance87 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:42 pm

Mattalones wrote:What ever happened to working out a deal with the professor? That is the obvious first step.

the prof basically eliminated that chance. I begged him for 2 weeks in april and he refused. He then made me submit a petition to the department chair and higher levle officials and i am still waiting for the result.

basically he said "fuck off" and told me to find other options. Sigh...

airfrance87

Postby airfrance87 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:43 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
If you are not considered to have received your degree/graduated until November, then you're boned as far as law school goes for this fall.

i wonder how i will take that....probably not in good ways.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun May 30, 2010 7:43 pm

airfrance87 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Yeah, it's a shitty situation, sorry.

airfrance87

Postby airfrance87 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:44 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
airfrance87 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

thanks for ur kind advice anyways.

what do you think of the deferring option?

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Sun May 30, 2010 7:45 pm

If your credits are done in August, you are golden. The ceremony (which for the most part is not required) is just pomp and circumstance. However, if you are not done with classes by the time LS will start, then you have a problem.

voice of reason

Postby voice of reason » Sun May 30, 2010 7:46 pm

airfrance87 wrote:
Mattalones wrote:What ever happened to working out a deal with the professor? That is the obvious first step.

the prof basically eliminated that chance. I begged him for 2 weeks in april and he refused. He then made me submit a petition to the department chair and higher levle officials and i am still waiting for the result.

To be fair, this was the right thing for him to do. Professors mustn't be in the business of assigning grades on the basis of how badly students want to pass. Your way out is summer school and unless your school's really screwed up you'll be able to take a class and get your degree before law school starts.

airfrance87

Postby airfrance87 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:48 pm

voice of reason wrote:

To be fair, this was the right thing for him to do. Professors mustn't be in the business of assigning grades on the basis of how badly students want to pass. Your way out is summer school and unless your school's really screwed up you'll be able to take a class and get your degree before law school starts.

i agree, he has every right to do that. at the end it is my fault. I will talk to the advisor tomorrow and see i can effectively graduate in august and get over with this horrible business....

airfrance87

Postby airfrance87 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:49 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:If your credits are done in August, you are golden. The ceremony (which for the most part is not required) is just pomp and circumstance. However, if you are not done with classes by the time LS will start, then you have a problem.

the classes end on august 13th but grades might come out awhile later. Do you think that is too late?

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Sun May 30, 2010 7:50 pm

Oh, well, in that case, you will be able to expedite processing your grades. If you are certain there is no room for negotiation with the professor, then let your law school know what you are trying to do. Tell them that you will still have a degree by the time you enter 1L, but submitting record of that will come close to the deadline for starting class. They will be more likely to work with you if you let them know what's up. Think about it arriving late when they think you already finished school v.s. it coming late when they already know it might come past the deadline. Also, I am sure there is another way for school's to communicate that you finished some summer class with a passing grade (professor e-mailing/mailing admissions office). You'll make it.

As far as a deferral goes (the other option you mentioned), you have to explain in detail why you are deferring. Take that for whatever you want.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Sun May 30, 2010 7:54 pm

voice of reason wrote:
airfrance87 wrote:

+1... You didn't earn the pass. Give it up.

He did what he should. Does your school have a Summer One class (A our or six week class?)This would make it even easier to be graduated before Fall starts. You need to figure out when you can take the class you now need to take over (make sure it is even offered in the summer), ask the advisor about if you can still "graduate" now (most likely you can - probably can even still walk, diplomas aren't generally done for months after graduation), then call the Law School to let know your graduation will be delayed until whatever they say.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun May 30, 2010 7:55 pm

airfrance87 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
airfrance87 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

thanks for ur kind advice anyways.

what do you think of the deferring option?

Law schools want an explanation of why you're asking for a deferral when you request one. Lying won't work (ethically wrong, almost certainly won't work, and will bone you when everyone finds out, which they will, and could hurt on the Character and Fitness examination for admittance to the Bar). The truth (that you are not graduating on time and failed a course) will not, from what I've seen of schools' deferral policies, be successful either.

Here's what I recommend: Check with your undergrad to make sure you will be officially graduated at the end of the summer class and won't have to wait until November, and also check with your undergrad to see what the soonest possible date is that your official final transcript, showing that you've graduated, will be available. After that, check with your law school to make sure that they'll accept your final transcript whenever the date its available happens to be (offer to fax them a copy the day its available in addition to having a copy mailed expedited that same day). Only your undergrad can tell you what exactly your graduation timeline will look like, and only your law school can tell you what exactly they'll accept and when.

Good luck.

airfrance87

Postby airfrance87 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:56 pm

Unitas wrote:

He did what he should. Does your school have a Summer One class (A our or six week class?)This would make it even easier to be graduated before Fall starts. You need to figure out when you can take the class you now need to take over (make sure it is even offered in the summer), ask the advisor about if you can still "graduate" now (most likely you can - probably can even still walk, diplomas aren't generally done for months after graduation), then call the Law School to let know your graduation will be delayed until whatever they say.

thank you so much guys, i never really considered this before. Tomorrow first thing first i will ask my student advisor about this.

and yes, there are summer classes of six weeks basically, the only ones i can take now last from july 5th to august 13th. So it is very likely i can finish them and grades can come out before start of 1L.

airfrance87

Postby airfrance87 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:58 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:

Law schools want an explanation of why you're asking for a deferral when you request one. Lying won't work (ethically wrong, almost certainly won't work, and will bone you when everyone finds out, which they will, and could hurt on the Character and Fitness examination for admittance to the Bar). The truth (that you are not graduating on time and failed a course) will not, from what I've seen of schools' deferral policies, be successful either.

Here's what I recommend: Check with your undergrad to make sure you will be officially graduated at the end of the summer class and won't have to wait until November, and also check with your undergrad to see what the soonest possible date is that your official final transcript, showing that you've graduated, will be available. After that, check with your law school to make sure that they'll accept your final transcript whenever the date its available happens to be (offer to fax them a copy the day its available in addition to having a copy mailed expedited that same day). Only your undergrad can tell you what exactly your graduation timeline will look like, and only your law school can tell you what exactly they'll accept and when.

Good luck.

thanks for the candid and extremely helpful advice. I will do exactly as you said this week and find out the timeline.

do you think my offer might be revoked though if i tell law school that my graduation is slightly delayed? i want to tell the truth, but i am afraid wut will happen.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Sun May 30, 2010 7:59 pm

airfrance87 wrote:
Unitas wrote:

thank you so much guys, i never really considered this before. Tomorrow first thing first i will ask my student advisor about this.

and yes, there are summer classes of six weeks basically, the only ones i can take now last from july 5th to august 13th. So it is very likely i can finish them and grades can come out before start of 1L.

Why can't you take the earlier ones?

airfrance87

Postby airfrance87 » Sun May 30, 2010 8:03 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:

the other session of summer courses begin in early may and end in mid june. So it is too late for that one.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Sun May 30, 2010 8:06 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:
airfrance87 wrote:
Unitas wrote:

Make plans to be graduated before 1L starts then let the school know what happened and make sure they like your plan, don't call without a plan.

Also if you already filed a graduation application go to the registrar and see what they say. Ask them if they can make it so you graduate now as long as you pass the summer class. Generally you file for graduation and just put the courses you need to pass to graduate or at least prior to 1L. Same thing would happen here. BTW, don't they are there tomorrow so call on Tuesday and don't stress about it until after you talk to them.

The registrar will be able to answer your questions. Maybe even use an e-mail. Talk to them about graduation not your advisor. They will have the final say - either them or your provost.

splittsville

Postby splittsville » Sun May 30, 2010 8:08 pm

At my school, and most schools I was accepted to, transcripts from the undergrad school showing degree awarded are due by September 1. I believe this is the ABA requirement. So unless your summer classes are very slow about getting grades, you should be fine. My understanding of the way most schools work is once the credits are completed, that is when the degree is shown as awarded on your transcript. They won't let you walk across a stage and get the shiney piece of paper, but you will have graduated. My advice, don't try to hide anything. Call your academic adviser at both schools to see what must be done.
Last edited by splittsville on Sun May 30, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Sun May 30, 2010 8:11 pm

splittsville wrote:At my school, and most schools I was accepted to, transcripts from the undergrad school are due by September 1. I believe this is the ABA requirement. So unless your summer classes are very slow about getting grades, you should be fine. My understanding of the way most schools work is once the credits are completed, that is when the degree is shown as awarded on your transcript. They won;t let you walk across a stage and get the shiney pice of paper, but you do have have graduated. My advice, don't try to hide anything. Call your academic adviser at both schools to see what must be done.

Most schools want them before then - but required before you attend if I recall correctly.

Don't call the LS until after you figure out when you are going to graduate and be able to send the final transcript in. Otherwise the call will be incredibly stupid. You should have an answer by Thursday or Friday from your UG. Don't waste a call to the law school to sound like an idiot. Wait until you know what is going to happen and then tell them and make sure it is ok "get it finished sometime this week". Calling the LS now wouldn't inform them of anything, because you don't have a plan. Get a plan this week then call. You won't be past any deadlines.

Postby 06072010 » Sun May 30, 2010 8:12 pm

How do you fail an undergrad class? Serious question.

airfrance87

Postby airfrance87 » Sun May 30, 2010 8:14 pm

Unitas wrote:
Most schools want them before then - but required before you attend if I recall correctly.

Don't call the LS until after you figure out when you are going to graduate and be able to send the final transcript in. Otherwise the call will be incredibly stupid. You should have an answer by Thursday or Friday from your UG. Don't waste a call to the law school to sound like an idiot. Wait until you know what is going to happen and then tell them and make sure it is ok "get it finished sometime this week". Calling the LS now wouldn't inform them of anything, because you don't have a plan. Get a plan this week then call. You won't be past any deadlines.

yes sir. I hope the transcript can be sent before orientation officially starts. I will check with the advisor and see if that is possible.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”