.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Hamilton
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 1:44 pm

.

Postby Hamilton » Sat May 29, 2010 1:53 pm

question answered
Last edited by Hamilton on Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Locke N. Lawded
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 9:15 pm

Re: Gettin' yanked around by current law school...

Postby Locke N. Lawded » Sat May 29, 2010 2:02 pm

I think your best bet is to try to transfer out of there.

I was one of those insufferable people that did all the law school tours, so I know everyone in admissions at my school, and they straight up told me that scholarship money exists solely to lure in the students with the best stats and to boost diversity.

The scholarship racket is the most insidious part of the law school scam, in my opinion. You get roped in believing that you'll be able to maintain the required GPA ("I've always had a high GPA! A 3.5 is nothing!") But, as you may know, the game is rigged. More scholarships are offered to students--about 60% at many schools--than can possibly be maintained. This is done by loading one section with all the scholarship recipients and rolling out a vicious 1L curve. Your law school is not unique.

Why would they give you more money now? They've already got you. Of course, they'll probably make it hard for you to transfer, but if you are going to be stuck with loans anyway, go to the best school that you can.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Gettin' yanked around by current law school...

Postby rundoxierun » Sat May 29, 2010 2:30 pm

Locke N. Lawded wrote:I think your best bet is to try to transfer out of there.

I was one of those insufferable people that did all the law school tours, so I know everyone in admissions at my school, and they straight up told me that scholarship money exists solely to lure in the students with the best stats and to boost diversity.

The scholarship racket is the most insidious part of the law school scam, in my opinion. You get roped in believing that you'll be able to maintain the required GPA ("I've always had a high GPA! A 3.5 is nothing!") But, as you may know, the game is rigged. More scholarships are offered to students--about 60% at many schools--than can possibly be maintained. This is done by loading one section with all the scholarship recipients and rolling out a vicious 1L curve. Your law school is not unique.

Why would they give you more money now? They've already got you. Of course, they'll probably make it hard for you to transfer, but if you are going to be stuck with loans anyway, go to the best school that you can.


OP said nothing about being tricked by scholarship requirements or having anything rigged. OP just wants to be rewarded for performing well once he got into law school.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Gettin' yanked around by current law school...

Postby Renzo » Sat May 29, 2010 2:42 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
Locke N. Lawded wrote:I think your best bet is to try to transfer out of there.

I was one of those insufferable people that did all the law school tours, so I know everyone in admissions at my school, and they straight up told me that scholarship money exists solely to lure in the students with the best stats and to boost diversity.

The scholarship racket is the most insidious part of the law school scam, in my opinion. You get roped in believing that you'll be able to maintain the required GPA ("I've always had a high GPA! A 3.5 is nothing!") But, as you may know, the game is rigged. More scholarships are offered to students--about 60% at many schools--than can possibly be maintained. This is done by loading one section with all the scholarship recipients and rolling out a vicious 1L curve. Your law school is not unique.

Why would they give you more money now? They've already got you. Of course, they'll probably make it hard for you to transfer, but if you are going to be stuck with loans anyway, go to the best school that you can.


OP said nothing about being tricked by scholarship requirements or having anything rigged. OP just wants to be rewarded for performing well once he got into law school.

Yeah, which is also why s/he's probably having trouble getting more money--there were no strings attached to the scholarships that went to other people, so now that s/he is out-perfoming them, the school can't reassign the money.

User avatar
Hamilton
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Gettin' yanked around by current law school...

Postby Hamilton » Sat May 29, 2010 2:42 pm

question answered
Last edited by Hamilton on Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Gettin' yanked around by current law school...

Postby romothesavior » Sat May 29, 2010 2:49 pm

Locke N. Lawded wrote:The scholarship racket is the most insidious part of the law school scam, in my opinion. You get roped in believing that you'll be able to maintain the required GPA ("I've always had a high GPA! A 3.5 is nothing!") But, as you may know, the game is rigged. More scholarships are offered to students--about 60% at many schools--than can possibly be maintained. This is done by loading one section with all the scholarship recipients and rolling out a vicious 1L curve. Your law school is not unique.


RC fail. This is totally irrelevance to this whole discussion.

Plus OP is at a 20-30 school, and this sort of thing doesn't really happen that far up in the rankings. I know Iowa sometimes has some stips on scholarships, but most schools do not. Every scholarship I was offered had zero strings attached, save for good academic standing.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Gettin' yanked around by current law school...

Postby Renzo » Sat May 29, 2010 2:50 pm

Hamilton wrote:Yeah, they said part of the problem is since there are no (stringent) GPA requirements for scholarships, they can't take them away from others to give to those who actually did well. I was thinking there's gotta be some dean's discretionary funds, or general scholarship funds, or something. The question is what's the best approach to get them. Just an honest and sincere "come on, I did well, can't I get something?" or a "how can i justify staying here on no money when i can transfer and still get no money" and hope they don't call my bluff, or or actually just say "if there really is nothing you can do for me, thanks for a great year" and head on my way?

I wouldn't be so sure that there's an extra pool of money. If there was, they'd probably have a formal scholarship system for high-performers (as do some schools). They're probably using every last dollar of scholarship money to manage their USNWR rankings.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Gettin' yanked around by current law school...

Postby romothesavior » Sat May 29, 2010 2:56 pm

Hamilton wrote:Yeah, they said part of the problem is since there are no (stringent) GPA requirements for scholarships, they can't take them away from others to give to those who actually did well. I was thinking there's gotta be some dean's discretionary funds, or general scholarship funds, or something. The question is what's the best approach to get them. Just an honest and sincere "come on, I did well, can't I get something?" or a "how can i justify staying here on no money when i can transfer and still get no money" and hope they don't call my bluff, or or actually just say "if there really is nothing you can do for me, thanks for a great year" and head on my way?


OP, you really should stress how much you love the school. Really stress that you do not want to leave, but you can't justify staying if you can go to one of the elite schools in the country for about the same price. Admissions offices aren't made up of computers or LSP calculators that just spit out scholarship money based on LSAT/GPA/URM status. You are dealing with people, so there is a personal element to it as well. If you can appeal to them on a personal level, you'll likely have more success.

Still, I think you should transfer. The only way staying would be really justified is if they gave you a full scholarship, and that ain't gonna happen. Your grades make you a near-T6 lock and give you a shot at HYS.

yabbadabbado
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: Gettin' yanked around by current law school...

Postby yabbadabbado » Sat May 29, 2010 3:00 pm

I would not make any noise about transferring until you have acceptances in hand. You don't want them to throw a wrench into your transfer plans. Apply, get into a few transfer schools, then approach the administration. If they can't make things happen, get out of there.

User avatar
Hamilton
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Gettin' yanked around by current law school...

Postby Hamilton » Mon May 31, 2010 3:22 pm

Thanks for the advice, i'll let you know how it goes.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], cavalier1138, cocozhang9950, mse2020 and 7 guests