REALLY GOOD letter of rec.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
birD
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:49 pm

REALLY GOOD letter of rec.

Postby birD » Sat May 29, 2010 1:10 pm

My professor just sent me a copy of the letter of rec they wrote for me and it's really amazing, I've had her for 3 different classes so she knows me really well and it basically says I'm the best student she's ever had. It also goes into how I'm an amazing writer and researcher, really enthusiastic and just an awesome person in general. I'm not trying to be an ass I just wanted to let make it clear what the letter said. So my question is will this give me any significant help for this cycle, I have a pretty crappy lsat (159, and not retaking) and a 3.92 lsac gpa. I just wanted to know how helpful a good letter of rec is. Thanks!

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: REALLY GOOD letter of rec.

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat May 29, 2010 1:13 pm

if it is really amazing, it'll be a nice positive soft boost...but not something earth shattering. in fact, it is no where near as amazing as a higher LSAT score, which for some reason you refuse to retake?

w/ a GPA like that and strong softs, you'd get into a really good school if you could bump your LSAT score up.

Casus
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:25 am

Re: REALLY GOOD letter of rec.

Postby Casus » Sat May 29, 2010 1:18 pm

DoubleChecks wrote: w/ a GPA like that and strong softs, you'd get into a really good school if you could bump your LSAT score up.


Exactly. Your letter certainly won't hurt, but it will help you a lot more if you provide further evidence that you'll be able to similarly succeed in law school. Schools look for such evidence in your LSAT score along with your GPA and recommendations. If you're able to boost it, even by a few points, it will make a huge difference.

If you are applying this fall, you can still take the June and September 2010 LSAT tests without any disadvantage for your cycle. I would strongly consider studying hard and bringing up that LSAT score. As many TLSers like to say, "don't waste that GPA."

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: REALLY GOOD letter of rec.

Postby jks289 » Sat May 29, 2010 1:23 pm

This is just my personal experience of it: I got to see one of my letters, and I think it was similarly amazing. Stated I was among the most dedicated and gifted students she had taught, gave a personal anecdote about my integrity, it actually brought tears to my eyes to read it. Looking at my cycle, I would say it had practically zero impact. All of my admit, denies, and waitlists are easily explained by the numbers. That's just the truth of it. The only possible exception is that I was inexplicably waitlisted by Chicago (rather than outright rejected). I think that the combination of the letters and a compelling personal statement might have made the difference there, but I suspect it had more to do with unusual work/life experience. Bottom line, a great letter is a hell of a lot better than a mediocre one, but nothing matters if you GPA and LSAT aren't up to par. With that GPA you should really, really consider a retake. Good luck.

paralegal
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: REALLY GOOD letter of rec.

Postby paralegal » Sat May 29, 2010 1:31 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:w/ a GPA like that and strong softs, you'd get into a really good school if you could bump your LSAT score up.


think of it like this - the LSAT is, in a very real sense, part of the law school process....it's about endurance and perseverence and determination....all qualities that you"ll need to succeed in law school.

it's not a short sprint....it's a marathon....

User avatar
birD
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:49 pm

Re: REALLY GOOD letter of rec.

Postby birD » Sat May 29, 2010 1:44 pm

the 159 was a retake and I literally studied for a year to get it, I just don't have it in me to study anymore. Plus I already have a job lined up after graduation so it doesn't matter much, I really just want to go to Northeastern and with my numbers I am border line so I'm just hope this letter will put me over the edge

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: REALLY GOOD letter of rec.

Postby jks289 » Sat May 29, 2010 1:47 pm

birD wrote:the 159 was a retake and I literally studied for a year to get it, I just don't have it in me to study anymore. Plus I already have a job lined up after graduation so it doesn't matter much, I really just want to go to Northeastern and with my numbers I am border line so I'm just hope this letter will put me over the edge


I don't mean to sound discouraging, but according to lsn (and everything else) a 3.9, 159 is not borderline, it is an auto reject unless you are URM and a likely reject even if you are. The lowest LSAT they are willing to take from non-URMs seems to be a 165.

User avatar
birD
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:49 pm

Re: REALLY GOOD letter of rec.

Postby birD » Sat May 29, 2010 1:51 pm

northeastern in boston? I think you are thinking of northwestern haha

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: REALLY GOOD letter of rec.

Postby jks289 » Sat May 29, 2010 1:57 pm

birD wrote:northeastern in boston? I think you are thinking of northwestern haha


Haha, reading comp fail. :oops: But seriously, retake and go to Northwestern!!

I do think you'll get into Northeastern. Good luck.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: REALLY GOOD letter of rec.

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:19 pm

What kind of job do you have lined up? Will it be enough to payoff law school debt?

I ask because I am normally in the "retake" camp, especially for someone with your numbers. I'd retake even if I had a guaranteed job just to get a scholarship or get into a top school. If going to a top school doesn't appeal to you, graduating with no debt should.

User avatar
birD
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:49 pm

Re: REALLY GOOD letter of rec.

Postby birD » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:30 pm

I have to stay in boston and have good enough numbers for a full ride at New England if I go that route. If not my parents say they will probably pay like half my tuition. My boyfriend is in optometry school in Boston and I live with him and when we graduate he's taking over for my dad who's an optometrist who runs his own practice making around $500,000 a yr. So I don't want to sound like a bitch but due to my lucky family situation I'm pretty much set for life. The job I have lined up is with my mom, so I doubt that's going anywhere... I don't really plan on working that much I want to have a lot of kids. life is goooood 8)

I just found out I got into another LS so I can't really control the level of snotty/bitchiness coming out of my mouth right now, so sorry if I have thoroughly offended you.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: REALLY GOOD letter of rec.

Postby paratactical » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:32 pm

birD wrote:I have to stay in boston and have good enough numbers for a full ride at New England if I go that route. If not my parents say they will probably pay like half my tuition. My boyfriend is in optometry school in Boston and I live with him and when we graduate he's taking over for my dad who's an optometrist who runs his own practice making around $500,000 a yr. So I don't want to sound like a bitch but due to my lucky family situation I'm pretty much set for life. The job I have lined up is with my mom, so I doubt that's going anywhere... I don't really plan on working that much I want to have a lot of kids. life is goooood 8)

I just found out I got into another LS so I can't really control the level of snotty/bitchiness coming out of my mouth right now, so sorry if I have thoroughly offended you.


Wait...

So why go to law school?

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: REALLY GOOD letter of rec.

Postby Hedwig » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:34 pm

I would take over that optometrist's gig myself, personally. Or get a solid pre-nup before you hand that business over to your boyfriend.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: REALLY GOOD letter of rec.

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:35 pm

No worries. I'd still retake if I were you and try to go to BU or something like that. But you seem to know what you're doing. Good luck!

User avatar
Clint Eastwood
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:15 am

Re: REALLY GOOD letter of rec.

Postby Clint Eastwood » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:35 pm

birD wrote:My professor just sent me a copy of the letter of rec they wrote for me and it's really amazing, I've had her for 3 different classes so she knows me really well and it basically says I'm the best student she's ever had. It also goes into how I'm an amazing writer and researcher, really enthusiastic and just an awesome person in general. I'm not trying to be an ass I just wanted to let make it clear what the letter said. So my question is will this give me any significant help for this cycle, I have a pretty crappy lsat (159, and not retaking) and a 3.92 lsac gpa. I just wanted to know how helpful a good letter of rec is. Thanks!

birD wrote:the 159 was a retake and I literally studied for a year to get it, I just don't have it in me to study anymore. Plus I already have a job lined up after graduation so it doesn't matter much, I really just want to go to Northeastern and with my numbers I am border line so I'm just hope this letter will put me over the edge

birD wrote:northeastern in boston? I think you are thinking of northwestern haha

birD wrote:I have to stay in boston and have good enough numbers for a full ride at New England if I go that route. If not my parents say they will probably pay like half my tuition. My boyfriend is in optometry school in Boston and I live with him and when we graduate he's taking over for my dad who's an optometrist who runs his own practice making around $500,000 a yr. So I don't want to sound like a bitch but due to my lucky family situation I'm pretty much set for life. The job I have lined up is with my mom, so I doubt that's going anywhere... I don't really plan on working that much I want to have a lot of kids. life is goooood 8)

I just found out I got into another LS so I can't really control the level of snotty/bitchiness coming out of my mouth right now, so sorry if I have thoroughly offended you.


retake
Last edited by Clint Eastwood on Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23647
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: REALLY GOOD letter of rec.

Postby chup » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:36 pm

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.

4102011
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: REALLY GOOD letter of rec.

Postby 4102011 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:36 pm

paratactical wrote:
birD wrote:I have to stay in boston and have good enough numbers for a full ride at New England if I go that route. If not my parents say they will probably pay like half my tuition. My boyfriend is in optometry school in Boston and I live with him and when we graduate he's taking over for my dad who's an optometrist who runs his own practice making around $500,000 a yr. So I don't want to sound like a bitch but due to my lucky family situation I'm pretty much set for life. The job I have lined up is with my mom, so I doubt that's going anywhere... I don't really plan on working that much I want to have a lot of kids. life is goooood 8)

I just found out I got into another LS so I can't really control the level of snotty/bitchiness coming out of my mouth right now, so sorry if I have thoroughly offended you.


Wait...

So why go to law school?


+1

Also, I second the pre-nup.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: REALLY GOOD letter of rec.

Postby paratactical » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:36 pm

chup wrote:You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.

Fuck that. She's probably not even an objective 5.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: REALLY GOOD letter of rec.

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:37 pm

eit wrote:I would take over that optometrist's gig myself, personally. Or get a solid pre-nup before you hand that business over to your boyfriend.

+1

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: REALLY GOOD letter of rec.

Postby CG614 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:39 pm

You are set up for a big surprise. Life isn't as easy as it may seem to you. Good luck.

User avatar
Jack Smirks
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 5:35 am

Re: REALLY GOOD letter of rec.

Postby Jack Smirks » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:40 pm

Clint Eastwood wrote:
birD wrote:My professor just sent me a copy of the letter of rec they wrote for me and it's really amazing, I've had her for 3 different classes so she knows me really well and it basically says I'm the best student she's ever had. It also goes into how I'm an amazing writer and researcher, really enthusiastic and just an awesome person in general. I'm not trying to be an ass I just wanted to let make it clear what the letter said. So my question is will this give me any significant help for this cycle, I have a pretty crappy lsat (159, and not retaking) and a 3.92 lsac gpa. I just wanted to know how helpful a good letter of rec is. Thanks!

birD wrote:the 159 was a retake and I literally studied for a year to get it, I just don't have it in me to study anymore. Plus I already have a job lined up after graduation so it doesn't matter much, I really just want to go to Northeastern and with my numbers I am border line so I'm just hope this letter will put me over the edge

birD wrote:northeastern in boston? I think you are thinking of northwestern haha

birD wrote:I have to stay in boston and have good enough numbers for a full ride at New England if I go that route. If not my parents say they will probably pay like half my tuition. My boyfriend is in optometry school in Boston and I live with him and when we graduate he's taking over for my dad who's an optometrist who runs his own practice making around $500,000 a yr. So I don't want to sound like a bitch but due to my lucky family situation I'm pretty much set for life. The job I have lined up is with my mom, so I doubt that's going anywhere... I don't really plan on working that much I want to have a lot of kids. life is goooood 8)

I just found out I got into another LS so I can't really control the level of snotty/bitchiness coming out of my mouth right now, so sorry if I have thoroughly offended you.


retake

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: REALLY GOOD letter of rec.

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:40 pm

birD wrote:My professor just sent me a copy of the letter of rec they wrote for me and it's really amazing, I've had her for 3 different classes so she knows me really well and it basically says I'm the best student she's ever had. It also goes into how I'm an amazing writer and researcher, really enthusiastic and just an awesome person in general. I'm not trying to be an ass I just wanted to let make it clear what the letter said. So my question is will this give me any significant help for this cycle, I have a pretty crappy lsat (159, and not retaking) and a 3.92 lsac gpa. I just wanted to know how helpful a good letter of rec is. Thanks!


Wow, you're lucky. Most people get LORs about how much they suck.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: REALLY GOOD letter of rec.

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:41 pm

naterj wrote:
Clint Eastwood wrote:
birD wrote:My professor just sent me a copy of the letter of rec they wrote for me and it's really amazing, I've had her for 3 different classes so she knows me really well and it basically says I'm the best student she's ever had. It also goes into how I'm an amazing writer and researcher, really enthusiastic and just an awesome person in general. I'm not trying to be an ass I just wanted to let make it clear what the letter said. So my question is will this give me any significant help for this cycle, I have a pretty crappy lsat (159, and not retaking) and a 3.92 lsac gpa. I just wanted to know how helpful a good letter of rec is. Thanks!

birD wrote:the 159 was a retake and I literally studied for a year to get it, I just don't have it in me to study anymore. Plus I already have a job lined up after graduation so it doesn't matter much, I really just want to go to Northeastern and with my numbers I am border line so I'm just hope this letter will put me over the edge

birD wrote:northeastern in boston? I think you are thinking of northwestern haha

birD wrote:I have to stay in boston and have good enough numbers for a full ride at New England if I go that route. If not my parents say they will probably pay like half my tuition. My boyfriend is in optometry school in Boston and I live with him and when we graduate he's taking over for my dad who's an optometrist who runs his own practice making around $500,000 a yr. So I don't want to sound like a bitch but due to my lucky family situation I'm pretty much set for life. The job I have lined up is with my mom, so I doubt that's going anywhere... I don't really plan on working that much I want to have a lot of kids. life is goooood 8)

I just found out I got into another LS so I can't really control the level of snotty/bitchiness coming out of my mouth right now, so sorry if I have thoroughly offended you.


retake

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: REALLY GOOD letter of rec.

Postby Hedwig » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:41 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
birD wrote:My professor just sent me a copy of the letter of rec they wrote for me and it's really amazing, I've had her for 3 different classes so she knows me really well and it basically says I'm the best student she's ever had. It also goes into how I'm an amazing writer and researcher, really enthusiastic and just an awesome person in general. I'm not trying to be an ass I just wanted to let make it clear what the letter said. So my question is will this give me any significant help for this cycle, I have a pretty crappy lsat (159, and not retaking) and a 3.92 lsac gpa. I just wanted to know how helpful a good letter of rec is. Thanks!


Wow, you're lucky. Most people get LORs about how much they suck.


Did she talk about how modest you are, too?

4102011
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: REALLY GOOD letter of rec.

Postby 4102011 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:42 pm

eit wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
birD wrote:My professor just sent me a copy of the letter of rec they wrote for me and it's really amazing, I've had her for 3 different classes so she knows me really well and it basically says I'm the best student she's ever had. It also goes into how I'm an amazing writer and researcher, really enthusiastic and just an awesome person in general. I'm not trying to be an ass I just wanted to let make it clear what the letter said. So my question is will this give me any significant help for this cycle, I have a pretty crappy lsat (159, and not retaking) and a 3.92 lsac gpa. I just wanted to know how helpful a good letter of rec is. Thanks!


Wow, you're lucky. Most people get LORs about how much they suck.


Did she talk about how modest you are, too?


Don't forget classy & thrifty.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest