Screaming into the abyss...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Is a T2 in the hand worth a T1 in the bush?

Take T2 with $$ and plan on transferring?
14%
Reapply for Fall 2011 and hope for the best?
86%

Total votes: 21

Flustercluck

Screaming into the abyss...

Postby Flustercluck » Thu May 27, 2010 4:08 pm

OK TLS, tell me what to do.

The situation - I'm a URM, 3 years work experience in politics, sub 3.0 GPA, 168 LSAT. Applied very late in the cycle (February LSAT) and ended up waitlisted at 8 schools ranked between 20 and 40 with no outright acceptances. I'm ready to leave my job, but if none of the waitlists come through I will be SOL come summer.

At the last minute I applied to a T2 that was T3 last year, and am hoping for significant $$$ since they'll hopefully be doing their best to stay in T2.

My question is what to do:

1) Take the presumed T2 acceptance? I know that one should never bank on transferring, but I am confident that only massive head trauma would stop me from finishing top 10%. Is this good enough to transfer into the top 30, or at the least retry at some of the places at which I was waitlisted this year? Additionally, I already live near the T2, so there'd be no upheaval: I wouldn't have to deal with moving, setting down new roots, or establishing new networks.

2) Take a year off to retake the LSAT (September) and reapply for next fall? I work 50+ hours a week and was prepping for the test in between, so if i take leave from my job and focus exclusively on the tests i think i can get into the 170-172 range. If I can improve my score, and apply at the beginning of the cycle instead of at the very end, would it make a difference? (Also, I'd probably reapply to all the waitlist schools, but do I need a completely different PS? Will they reference my application from this year as well?). In the meantime though, I'd need to find a new job. A good friend of mine taught English overseas last year, and as cliche as it sounds, it seems like a perfect way to spend the year while waiting for round two of the admissions process (and perhaps would give me new material for my 2nd PS)

Thanks in advance!

Bildungsroman

Re: Screaming into the abyss...

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu May 27, 2010 4:17 pm

Flustercluck wrote:I am confident that only massive head trauma would stop me from finishing top 10%.

This is what 50% of the incoming class will be thinking with you. And only 10% of people get to be top 10%... The reason people say you should never bank on being able to transfer is because you should never bank on being able to transfer. Only enroll at a law school if you are willing to graduate from it. So, reapply (early this time).

DavidYurman85

Postby DavidYurman85 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:20 pm

With a 170+ lsat score and an early app, you should be able to pull of better acceptances (maybe even T14). ED VA? RE-TAKE!

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Thu May 27, 2010 6:12 pm

el bump-o

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Thu May 27, 2010 6:29 pm

You applied ridiculously late. I say you should reapply. You don't even have to retake the LSAT if you think 168 is your peak. Just apply earlier!
What are you going to be doing if you don't go to law school next year?

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu May 27, 2010 6:32 pm

If it's an option, RETAKE.

Even if you don't score higher, just applying earlier in the cycle should get you in somewhere.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu May 27, 2010 6:39 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:If it's an option, RETAKE.

Even if you don't score higher, just applying earlier in the cycle should get you in somewhere.

I agree with this. If you can stand to wait, I think it's pretty clear that no matter what, you would fare much better with the exact same app and a September 2010 submission date.

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Thu May 27, 2010 6:42 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:You applied ridiculously late. I say you should reapply. You don't even have to retake the LSAT if you think 168 is your peak. Just apply earlier!

That's the tough part. I can't see myself staying at my job for another year (it's just kinda run it's course, i've learned everything i can in the position and moved up as far as i can in the firm) but at the same time i'm not big on the idea of taking a different job just to leave it in less than a year. But, the flip side would be this isn't exactly the best market to look for a new position and my background is politics/pr/grassroots so i'm not really in a sector with too many options. Teaching english abroad is one idea, but if anyone knows any other options so far a 1-year commitment projects/jobs i would certainly be interested

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 27, 2010 6:45 pm

Do NOT go to law school this fall. Retake and reapply, or just reapply. That one year will be worth it.

Are you actually a URM? If you are, then NW is a legit possibility if you ED, since you have WE (even though LSP says it is an auto-reject... that thing is seriously worthless for URMs and splitters, and even more useless for URM splitters). Definitely re-take, and do not go to school planning to transfer.

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Thu May 27, 2010 6:52 pm

romothesavior wrote:Do NOT go to law school this fall. Retake and reapply, or just reapply. That one year will be worth it.

Are you actually a URM? If you are, then NW is a legit possibility if you ED, since you have WE (even though LSP says it is an auto-reject... that thing is seriously worthless for URMs and splitters, and even more useless for URM splitters). Definitely re-take, and do not go to school planning to transfer.

I'm Blaxican - does that make me a super URM?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu May 27, 2010 6:59 pm

Flustercluck wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Do NOT go to law school this fall. Retake and reapply, or just reapply. That one year will be worth it.

I'm Blaxican - does that make me a super URM?

yes

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Thu May 27, 2010 7:18 pm

Reapply, don't be silly. Retake, too. And apply to T14. I'm assuming CCN down is in the ballpark, though being a sub-3 URM hurts.

Retake and shoot for 170+.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu May 27, 2010 9:24 pm

Wait until next cycle, apply early, and you will have a number of great options.

Flustercluck wrote:I am confident that only massive head trauma would stop me from finishing top 10%.

Do I even NEED to address this? You know this is just wrong... right?

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Thu May 27, 2010 9:49 pm

Flustercluck wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:You applied ridiculously late. I say you should reapply. You don't even have to retake the LSAT if you think 168 is your peak. Just apply earlier!

That's the tough part. I can't see myself staying at my job for another year (it's just kinda run it's course, i've learned everything i can in the position and moved up as far as i can in the firm) but at the same time i'm not big on the idea of taking a different job just to leave it in less than a year. But, the flip side would be this isn't exactly the best market to look for a new position and my background is politics/pr/grassroots so i'm not really in a sector with too many options. Teaching english abroad is one idea, but if anyone knows any other options so far a 1-year commitment projects/jobs i would certainly be interested

If I was you, I'd just suck it up and stay at your job for another year..you are going to get into higher-ranked law schools next year.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”