Summer internship before law school...HELP NOW PLEASE!!!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
abodetti

Summer internship before law school...HELP NOW PLEASE!!!

Postby abodetti » Thu May 27, 2010 12:24 am

im a sophomore at uconn and i got offered an internship working for the department of defense at the pentagon over the summer. right now im split 50/50 about what to do when i graduate. half of me wants to go to law school, and half want to work on wall street. i come from a straight business family, my dad and 2 uncles are ceo's of multimillion dollar companies. anyway, i really dont want to do this internship but everyone is telling me it will be great for my resume.

honestly, how much will this help me in either the business world, or applying to law schools? i dont want to be a politician, so i dont know how much this will actually help me in the future.

i need to let her know in like 12 hours, so HELP.

thoughts anyone?

BlueCivic

Re: Summer internship before law school...HELP NOW PLEASE!!!

Postby BlueCivic » Thu May 27, 2010 12:34 am

abodetti wrote:im a sophomore at uconn and i got offered an internship working for the department of defense at the pentagon over the summer. right now im split 50/50 about what to do when i graduate. half of me wants to go to law school, and half want to work on wall street. i come from a straight business family, my dad and 2 uncles are ceo's of multimillion dollar companies. anyway, i really dont want to do this internship but everyone is telling me it will be great for my resume.

honestly, how much will this help me in either the business world, or applying to law schools? i dont want to be a politician, so i dont know how much this will actually help me in the future.

thoughts anyone?

Do what you want to do in life. Seriously buddy.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 27, 2010 12:45 am

Just take the internship.

You're a sophomore. You have plenty of time to decide.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu May 27, 2010 12:53 am

Do what you want. One internship is not going to seriously make or break any law school applications in the future.

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » Thu May 27, 2010 12:58 am

abodetti wrote: i really dont want to do this internship but everyone is telling me it will be great for my resume.

thoughts anyone?

What would you be doing over the summer instead of the internship? If you're not going to be doing anything, you might as well do the internship. But if you don't take the internship, it's not going to hurt your law school prospects down the road...

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Thu May 27, 2010 1:12 am

Take the internship, it's a heck of a nice opportunity.

BlueCivic

Postby BlueCivic » Thu May 27, 2010 1:17 am

JOThompson wrote:Take the internship, it's a heck of a nice opportunity.

Eh, it is for someone who is interested in stuff related to the Pentagon. For someone who doesn't give a shit it seems like a waste to me. Not saying that the OP doesn't give a shit but it's not clear that he/she does.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Thu May 27, 2010 1:19 am

BlueCivic wrote:

Eh, it is for someone who is interested in stuff related to the Pentagon. For someone who doesn't give a shit it seems like a waste to me. Not saying that the OP doesn't give a shit but it's not clear that he/she does.

A federal internship of this sort is selective and prestigious. Even if a person isn't interested in a DoD career, I think it's excellent for the resume. For purposes of law school admission it may not help a lot but it's still better than the options that most college sophomores have.

BlueCivic

Postby BlueCivic » Thu May 27, 2010 1:22 am

JOThompson wrote:
BlueCivic wrote:

A federal internship of this sort is selective and prestigious. Even if a person isn't interested in a DoD career, I think it's excellent for the resume. For purposes of law school admission it may not help a lot but it's still better than the options that most college sophomores have.

Sure i guess as it pertains to the OP getting into law school, etc. it could be useful. I guess i am thinking that it's a spot that could be taken by somebody who actually wants it (given that pentagon internships are probably not super easy to get from UG), and more broadly that the OP should do what he or she wants in life and not exclusively what will be the next step on some sort of ladder. Obviously i'm inferring a lot about the OP that may or may not be true, but I'm going by the information in his/her post.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu May 27, 2010 1:24 am

Just remember OP, if you take the spot, challenge the computer to a game of tic-tac-toe.

icydash

Postby icydash » Thu May 27, 2010 1:30 am

You never mention if you have other options. If you don't, and you'll just be sitting around drinking cool-aid and watching simpsons reruns, then take it. If you have other options you're more interested in, then take those. This internship won't make or break admissions to any future schools, but it could be a great learning experience and open other doors.

abodetti

Postby abodetti » Thu May 27, 2010 1:48 am

thanks for the help guys.

if i were to not take it i would be working at a finance company where i live in connecticut. if i take the internship i would have to relocate to dc for the duration of the summer. the internship is not paid, however housing is included and there is a stipend for food. i just find it to be a tough position and dont know what i should do.

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Thu May 27, 2010 1:50 am

No.
Last edited by creamedcats on Thu May 27, 2010 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Thu May 27, 2010 1:51 am

The DoD internship at the Pentagon would be amazing, and there is always a way to make government work relevant to your next employment opportunity. I say take the internship and get the experience. If you end up hating it, at least you will know that you are not interested in that area, and sometimes that's even better than finding your passion. I spent years thinking I wanted to go into international law, only to do a study abroad in international law and realize I hated it.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu May 27, 2010 1:51 am

Would you rather work at a finance company? If so, do that.

Otherwise, take the internship. You might end up liking it.

But don't let other people dictate how you should live your life.

BlueCivic

Postby BlueCivic » Thu May 27, 2010 1:52 am

I say don't take it. You don't sound like you want it. And from experience, working with interns who arent interested to be there sucks for everyone else. Go do something you like.

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Thu May 27, 2010 1:54 am

Ah, I missed the "I really don't want to do this" part of your post.

Don't do it. Duh.

icydash

Postby icydash » Thu May 27, 2010 2:13 am

creamedcats wrote:Ah, I missed the "I really don't want to do this" part of your post.

Don't do it. Duh.

This.

SuperFreak

Postby SuperFreak » Thu May 27, 2010 8:00 am

abodetti wrote:im a sophomore at uconn and i got offered an internship working for the department of defense at the pentagon over the summer. right now im split 50/50 about what to do when i graduate. half of me wants to go to law school, and half want to work on wall street. i come from a straight business family, my dad and 2 uncles are ceo's of multimillion dollar companies. anyway, i really dont want to do this internship but everyone is telling me it will be great for my resume.

thoughts anyone?

Doo eett. If you want it, take it, if not, don't.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”