Reapply(3rd LSAT) vs. Transfer (with $$$)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
things fall apart

Reapply(3rd LSAT) vs. Transfer (with $$$)

Postby things fall apart » Wed May 26, 2010 4:26 pm

I applied late and in addition to decent numbers did not get into my target schools. Unfortunately I did not knock the LSAT out of the park either time I took it, and while I could take it again, I would hit the 3 time max.

Additionally I got a job overseas at a law firm(not making much $ at all however) which would span one year.

What I see now is either (1)reapply early next cycle with same scores but relevant WE, (2)reapply taking a 3rd crack at the LSAT, or (3)take the $$$ at a T3 and transfer.

I would like to say I could get my LSAT up to mid 160s, but if I have a crappy test I am stuck. However, being at a T3 I am fairly confident I will have the determination to transfer T3 to T30. The downside there is if I don't make the grades I'm stuck at the T3.

I am a college senior, low-mid 3GPA, URM if that means anything.

What do you think I should do?

Danteshek

Re: Reapply(3rd LSAT) vs. Transfer (with $$$)

Postby Danteshek » Wed May 26, 2010 4:27 pm

Option 3, because you'll definitely be able to transfer.

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:30 pm

Danteshek wrote:Option 3, because you'll definitely be able to transfer.

Out of curiosity, why are you so certain? or is this sarcasm.

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:32 pm

Can't you do both 1 and 2?

By that I mean, get the WE and retake the LSAT.

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Wed May 26, 2010 4:38 pm

oberlin08 wrote:

OP, did your two LSAT scores reflect your practice tests, or were they significantly lower? How would waiting another year fit into your life plan?

I wouldn't expect one year of work experience to count for much, especially since your URM status will dwarf every other factor.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:50 pm

1) Re-take
2) Work

I fail to see how you can't do both of these. The WE won't help your cycle nor will it help you get in anywhere where you had been rejected/WL'd at this year, but it will help you gain a little "real world" experience which is good in the long run.

things fall apart

Postby things fall apart » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:06 pm

UFMatt wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:

OP, did your two LSAT scores reflect your practice tests, or were they significantly lower? How would waiting another year fit into your life plan?

I wouldn't expect one year of work experience to count for much, especially since your URM status will dwarf every other factor.

As for my scores reflecting my practices tests I'll say this: I got a LG section which Im 100% positive I missed one max. Unfortunately on my real LG is scored far below average and missed 6 or 7 I believe. Had my experimental(I know they arent always on par with a normal section) been the real deal, I believe I'd be in T20 w/$$

Waiting another year would fit into my life plan as adding a year off of going the direction I've wanted to go into for the past 8 years of my life(I'm graduating college next week).

To that regard you shouldn't assume you can transfer, but if I were to work for a year full-well knowing I'd be going to LS the next year, whats the difference between that or going to a T3 with minimal loans and transferring(assuming I can transfer).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”