Ageism in the T14

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CordeliusX
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:48 pm

Ageism in the T14

Postby CordeliusX » Wed May 26, 2010 1:44 pm

This is strictly speculation, but I've been out for a few years and have a couple friends applying or in LS who have told me that certain schools really do like to limit the "experience" their classes have. I've been told HLS would rather take someone with 0-2 years experience, over an "equal" but older candidate; and that SLS, for example, would do the opposite. I'm curious if this is a confirmed trend, or merely just self-selection (that older applicants steer clear of certain schools). I'm also curious which schools are most "old" friendly

Mike19
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Ageism in the T14

Postby Mike19 » Wed May 26, 2010 1:48 pm

I don't know about a certain school being more "old friendly" than another...but I do know that Northwestern places a strong emphasis on prior work experience which would place the majority of its students in an age bracket at least 2-3 years higher than that of some of its peer schools.

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Ageism in the T14

Postby holydonkey » Wed May 26, 2010 1:53 pm

CordeliusX wrote:I'm also curious which schools are most "old" friendly
I'm 29 and have visited a few of them. Not sure what's considered old, but if it's 29, then I guess I'm old. Northwestern has the best rep for being friendly to old folks. When I visited Michigan, I definitely didn't feel like I was out of place (and I will be attending). Cornell and UVA seem to lean younger. When I visited UVA, I felt ancient (although I loved the school) and couldn't understand a lot of what the kids were saying. Apparently everyone gchats, I don't know what that is, I assume something like AIM or facebook messaging but with the google. Georgetown has a decent number of older 20s people as well. Duke seems to fall somewhere better Michigan and UVA, but with a smaller class it probably changes more year to year.

Since I didn't think I had a shot at HYSCCN, can't speak to them.

Mike19
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Ageism in the T14

Postby Mike19 » Wed May 26, 2010 1:55 pm

holydonkey wrote:
CordeliusX wrote:I'm also curious which schools are most "old" friendly
I'm 29 and have visited a few of them. Not sure what's considered old, but if it's 29, then I guess I'm old. Northwestern has the best rep for being friendly to old folks. When I visited Michigan, I definitely didn't feel like I was out of place (and I will be attending). Cornell and UVA seem to lean younger. When I visited UVA, I felt ancient (although I loved the school) and couldn't understand a lot of what the kids were saying. Apparently everyone gchats, I don't know what that is, I assume something like AIM or facebook messaging but with the google. Georgetown has a decent number of older 20s people as well. Duke seems to fall somewhere better Michigan and UVA, but with a smaller class it probably changes more year to year.

Since I didn't think I had a shot at HYSCCN, can't speak to them.


I'm 19 and I couldnt for the life of me tell you what gchat is..

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Ageism in the T14

Postby imchuckbass58 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:17 pm

CordeliusX wrote:This is strictly speculation, but I've been out for a few years and have a couple friends applying or in LS who have told me that certain schools really do like to limit the "experience" their classes have. I've been told HLS would rather take someone with 0-2 years experience, over an "equal" but older candidate; and that SLS, for example, would do the opposite. I'm curious if this is a confirmed trend, or merely just self-selection (that older applicants steer clear of certain schools). I'm also curious which schools are most "old" friendly


I don't know where your friends got their information, but from personal experience and anecdotes from friends at other schools this is actually the exact opposite of the way it works. Virtually every school prefers experience (to a certain degree - if you're over 30 it might be a liability), some more than others (i.e., at Northwestern, 90% of the class has work experience, most of those more than 2 years).

At virtually every T14 school the majority of the class has work exerperience.

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Ageism in the T14

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Wed May 26, 2010 2:29 pm

..
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Ageism in the T14

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed May 26, 2010 2:35 pm

Mike19 wrote:
holydonkey wrote:
CordeliusX wrote:I'm also curious which schools are most "old" friendly
I'm 29 and have visited a few of them. Not sure what's considered old, but if it's 29, then I guess I'm old. Northwestern has the best rep for being friendly to old folks. When I visited Michigan, I definitely didn't feel like I was out of place (and I will be attending). Cornell and UVA seem to lean younger. When I visited UVA, I felt ancient (although I loved the school) and couldn't understand a lot of what the kids were saying. Apparently everyone gchats, I don't know what that is, I assume something like AIM or facebook messaging but with the google. Georgetown has a decent number of older 20s people as well. Duke seems to fall somewhere better Michigan and UVA, but with a smaller class it probably changes more year to year.

Since I didn't think I had a shot at HYSCCN, can't speak to them.


I'm 19 and I couldnt for the life of me tell you what gchat is..


You're 19? What are you doing thinking about law school already? Go to Q-zar or something! :wink:

Mike19
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Ageism in the T14

Postby Mike19 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:44 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
Mike19 wrote:
holydonkey wrote:
CordeliusX wrote:I'm also curious which schools are most "old" friendly
I'm 29 and have visited a few of them. Not sure what's considered old, but if it's 29, then I guess I'm old. Northwestern has the best rep for being friendly to old folks. When I visited Michigan, I definitely didn't feel like I was out of place (and I will be attending). Cornell and UVA seem to lean younger. When I visited UVA, I felt ancient (although I loved the school) and couldn't understand a lot of what the kids were saying. Apparently everyone gchats, I don't know what that is, I assume something like AIM or facebook messaging but with the google. Georgetown has a decent number of older 20s people as well. Duke seems to fall somewhere better Michigan and UVA, but with a smaller class it probably changes more year to year.

Since I didn't think I had a shot at HYSCCN, can't speak to them.


I'm 19 and I couldnt for the life of me tell you what gchat is..


You're 19? What are you doing thinking about law school already? Go to Q-zar or something! :wink:


Eh. Im applying for Fall 2011 admission soon. But the sad part is I actually went to a Q-zar a few months ago with friends as a joke :lol:

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18401
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Ageism in the T14

Postby bk1 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:48 pm

Mike19 wrote:Eh. Im applying for Fall 2011 admission soon. But the sad part is I actually went to a Q-zar a few months ago with friends as a joke :lol:


Laser tag is still awesome. Just ask Barney Stinson. :D

Mike19
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Ageism in the T14

Postby Mike19 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:50 pm

bk1 wrote:
Mike19 wrote:Eh. Im applying for Fall 2011 admission soon. But the sad part is I actually went to a Q-zar a few months ago with friends as a joke :lol:


Laser tag is still awesome. Just ask Barney Stinson. :D


Bleh. NPH. 'nuff said.

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Ageism in the T14

Postby holydonkey » Wed May 26, 2010 3:09 pm

Mike19 wrote:Eh. Im applying for Fall 2011 admission soon. But the [strike]sad[/strike] awesome part is I actually went to a Q-zar a few months ago with friends because laser tag rocks[strike]as a joke :lol:[/strike]
ftfy. I went to laser tag on my 28th birthday. Laser tag doesn't stop being awesome when you get older.

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: Ageism in the T14

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed May 26, 2010 3:11 pm

holydonkey wrote:When I visited UVA, I felt ancient (although I loved the school) and couldn't understand a lot of what the kids were saying.



LOLWUT?

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Ageism in the T14

Postby holydonkey » Wed May 26, 2010 3:16 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
holydonkey wrote:When I visited UVA, I felt ancient (although I loved the school) and couldn't understand a lot of what the kids were saying.
LOLWUT?
They had no knowledge of NKOTB or Webster and kept referencing someone called spongebob.

To help the youngsters:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webster_(TV_series)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NKOTB
Last edited by holydonkey on Wed May 26, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike19
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Ageism in the T14

Postby Mike19 » Wed May 26, 2010 3:18 pm

holydonkey wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
holydonkey wrote:When I visited UVA, I felt ancient (although I loved the school) and couldn't understand a lot of what the kids were saying.
LOLWUT?
They had no knowledge of NKOTB or Webster and kept referencing someone called spongebob.


He's legit. Only the most brilliant people live in a pineapple under the sea. Just sayin.

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: Ageism in the T14

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed May 26, 2010 3:19 pm

holydonkey wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
holydonkey wrote:When I visited UVA, I felt ancient (although I loved the school) and couldn't understand a lot of what the kids were saying.
LOLWUT?
They had no knowledge of NKOTB or Webster and kept referencing someone called spongebob.

To help the youngsters:
--LinkRemoved--)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NKOTB


Sounds like law school was the right choice for you....twenty years ago :lol:

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Ageism in the T14

Postby holydonkey » Wed May 26, 2010 3:24 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
holydonkey wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
holydonkey wrote:When I visited UVA, I felt ancient (although I loved the school) and couldn't understand a lot of what the kids were saying.
LOLWUT?
They had no knowledge of NKOTB or Webster and kept referencing someone called spongebob.

To help the youngsters:
--LinkRemoved--)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NKOTB
Sounds like law school was the right choice for you....twenty years ago :lol:
How did you know??? I turned down Cooley when I was 9 and I've been regretting it ever since. I think I could have pulled top 10% and landed biglaw.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], laheisl, MichiganHoosier, mrtux45 and 4 guests