School Record

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawboy1065
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 8:28 am

School Record

Postby lawboy1065 » Wed May 26, 2010 12:51 am

When I graduated high school I attended a small college for less than a month and then withdrew to start a family business. Do I need to disclose this information?

Thanks

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: School Record

Postby kalvano » Wed May 26, 2010 12:53 am

Yes.

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: School Record

Postby Kilpatrick » Wed May 26, 2010 12:57 am

LSAC wrote:Request transcripts to be sent to LSAC from your:

* undergraduate degree-granting institution
* graduate degree-granting institution(s)
* law/medical/professional institutions
* institutions where college-level courses were taken while in high school

* institutions where summer or evening courses did not count toward a degree
* institutions that have closed
* institutions from which you have only withdrawn or incomplete grades
* institutions where you have recently enrolled
* overseas study.

testmaster85
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 11:22 pm

Re: School Record

Postby testmaster85 » Wed May 26, 2010 1:09 am

If I took a summer course at a local community college for credit, and took some other ones over the summer at another college for credit, do these transcripts need to be sent to LSAC as well?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: School Record

Postby kalvano » Wed May 26, 2010 1:14 am

You send everything.

testmaster85
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 11:22 pm

Re: School Record

Postby testmaster85 » Wed May 26, 2010 1:16 am

It's not on the list.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: School Record

Postby clintonius » Wed May 26, 2010 1:20 am

Neither was your mom. Doesn't mean I didn't deliver.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: School Record

Postby kalvano » Wed May 26, 2010 1:25 am

testmaster85 wrote:If I took a summer course at a local community college for credit, and took some other ones over the summer at another college for credit, do these transcripts need to be sent to LSAC as well?



Transcripts issued to you or sent by you will not be processed.

Transcripts to include:

* community colleges
* bachelor's and graduate institutions
* law/medical/professional institutions
* institutions attended for summer or evening courses
* institutions attended even though a degree was never received

* institutions from which you took college-level courses while in high school even though they were for high school credit
* institutions that clearly sponsored your overseas study (see International Transcripts below)

A copy of these transcripts, along with a summarization of all undergraduate work, will be forwarded with the law school report to the law schools to which you apply. Transcripts representing work completed after the first four-year undergraduate degree (considered graduate work by LSAC) will not be summarized, but copies will be sent with the law school report. This includes law school/professional school work. Work done at a graduate/law/professional school prior to the granting of a four-year undergraduate degree will be included in the academic summary as undergraduate work.

Transcripts must be sent from institutions even if:

* credit was transferred from an institution and it appears on another institution's transcript
* the institution is closed
(These transcripts are usually maintained by the department of higher education or by another school in the state in which the school was located, so you will need to contact the state's department of higher education. For international transcripts, contact the Ministry of Education in the country where the school was located.)
* "withdraw," "incomplete," etc., are the only grades listed
* you have just enrolled
(Request that the registrar's office send a transcript of courses "in progress" or a statement of current enrollment. The document must bear the official registrar's seal.)




Literally 13 seconds to Google it. You're not special, you're not getting around the rules, and you aren't putting one over on LSAC.

SuperFreak
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 7:11 am

Re: School Record

Postby SuperFreak » Thu May 27, 2010 8:07 am

kalvano wrote:You send everything.


How will they find out?

They won't, that's how.

User avatar
SaintClarence27
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 am

Re: School Record

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:08 am

SuperFreak wrote:
kalvano wrote:You send everything.


How will they find out?

They won't, that's how.


The bar might.

SuperFreak
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 7:11 am

Re: School Record

Postby SuperFreak » Thu May 27, 2010 8:14 am

SaintClarence27 wrote:
SuperFreak wrote:
kalvano wrote:You send everything.


How will they find out?

They won't, that's how.


The bar might.


How likely is this?

I would include it but only if it wouldn't really harm me in the process of doing so, else fuck it and say you forgot.

User avatar
SaintClarence27
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 am

Re: School Record

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:18 am

SuperFreak wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
SuperFreak wrote:
kalvano wrote:You send everything.


How will they find out?

They won't, that's how.


The bar might.


How likely is this?

I would include it but only if it wouldn't really harm me in the process of doing so, else fuck it and say you forgot.


You don't think the bar will get ALL of your transcripts?

SuperFreak
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 7:11 am

Re: School Record

Postby SuperFreak » Thu May 27, 2010 8:22 am

Point well taken.

anxioustomato
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:45 pm

Re: School Record

Postby anxioustomato » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:51 pm

I'm in a similar situation -- I signed up for a language course at a CC to take outside of my regular college schedule (i was taking maximum units possible). I dropped the course almost immediately, before the "drop" deadline. Currently, my transcript there is completely blank - no grades, no enrollment dates, not even "withdrawn" grades since I dropped before the deadline. Should I send a transcript to LSAC in this case? I seriously don't mind sending them, but it seems weird to send a completely blank transcript (and pay for it!). I spoke with administrative staff at the CC and they were pretty curt and kept saying to me, "your transcript is blank..."

(my unofficial transcript just has my name and address lol)

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: School Record

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:57 am

..

hsprophet
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:42 am

Re: School Record

Postby hsprophet » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:00 am

In high school I got some college credits through a community college (never even set foot inside the school but that's another story). I transfered the credits to my undergrad and they are reflected on that transcript.

Fast forward 13 years later to now. I didn't send that community college transcript to LSAC. It was an oversight (not actually physically attending helps erase it from memory). When I realized it, I was already through the admissions cycle (admitted and all that). I made myself feel better by saying that those credits are on my UG transcript with the grades (my UG used the grades for GPA; not sure about how LSAC handled it).

I called the law school (since they need transcripts sent to them) and asked if they needed the community college transcript. They said no. So now I feel even better.

Hopefully this won't come back to bite me. I'd certainly send the transcript if I could go back in time, but at this point I don't even know how to "fix" this mistake, so I'm just going to let it be.

User avatar
Bert
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: School Record

Postby Bert » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:26 am

hsprophet wrote:In high school I got some college credits through a community college (never even set foot inside the school but that's another story). I transfered the credits to my undergrad and they are reflected on that transcript.

Fast forward 13 years later to now. I didn't send that community college transcript to LSAC. It was an oversight (not actually physically attending helps erase it from memory). When I realized it, I was already through the admissions cycle (admitted and all that). I made myself feel better by saying that those credits are on my UG transcript with the grades (my UG used the grades for GPA; not sure about how LSAC handled it).

I called the law school (since they need transcripts sent to them) and asked if they needed the community college transcript. They said no. So now I feel even better.

Hopefully this won't come back to bite me. I'd certainly send the transcript if I could go back in time, but at this point I don't even know how to "fix" this mistake, so I'm just going to let it be.


Don't you need to send your law school an official certified copy of all transcripts upon matriculation? In your instance, I would think that the certified copy would serve as the fix.

hsprophet
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:42 am

Re: School Record

Postby hsprophet » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:34 am

Bert wrote:Don't you need to send your law school an official certified copy of all transcripts upon matriculation? In your instance, I would think that the certified copy would serve as the fix.


I asked them about sending them the CC transcript, and they said they didn't need it. Just the UG one. Maybe they just need one that shows graduation?

However, when I called I didn't mention that the CC one isn't in LSAC. I tried calling the school a few minutes ago to ask how to fix it and got voicemail.

Mr. Pablo
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:21 pm

Re: School Record

Postby Mr. Pablo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:37 am

I can't believe that people won't spend the $15 and 10 minutes to avoid potentially much more inconvenience down the road. Jesus-fuck people, just send the goddamn transcripts. Its not that difficult.

hsprophet
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:42 am

Re: School Record

Postby hsprophet » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:49 pm

Bert wrote:
hsprophet wrote:In high school I got some college credits through a community college (never even set foot inside the school but that's another story). I transfered the credits to my undergrad and they are reflected on that transcript.

Fast forward 13 years later to now. I didn't send that community college transcript to LSAC. It was an oversight (not actually physically attending helps erase it from memory). When I realized it, I was already through the admissions cycle (admitted and all that). I made myself feel better by saying that those credits are on my UG transcript with the grades (my UG used the grades for GPA; not sure about how LSAC handled it).

I called the law school (since they need transcripts sent to them) and asked if they needed the community college transcript. They said no. So now I feel even better.

Hopefully this won't come back to bite me. I'd certainly send the transcript if I could go back in time, but at this point I don't even know how to "fix" this mistake, so I'm just going to let it be.


Don't you need to send your law school an official certified copy of all transcripts upon matriculation? In your instance, I would think that the certified copy would serve as the fix.


I called my law school, and everything is going to be ok. :D I do need to get the community college transcript in LSAC, but omitting it isn't going to hurt me. The Assoc. Dean pulled up my record and saw the CC credits and grades on my UG transcript. She said that because it was only 9 hours, it didn't flag in my LSAC account as being incomplete; transfer credits less than a semester don't flag (any more and LSAC will make you get the transcript before applying since they see the transfer and know it's missing). I got As in the courses, so my GPA would have been slightly higher. Oh well, wouldn't have made a difference, maybe 0.02 points.

I have to now work with LSAC to get the school added (can't do it myself since my file is complete), then I can generate the transcript request form and get it sent in.

At least I don't have to worry now. Moral of the story: Send in ALL transcripts no matter what!!! If you don't do it, you WILL have to do it later, and it could come back to bite you.

User avatar
Bert
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: School Record

Postby Bert » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:53 pm

hsprophet wrote:At least I don't have to worry now. Moral of the story: Send in ALL transcripts no matter what!!! If you don't do it, you WILL have to do it later, and it could come back to bite you.


Glad things worked out this well for you.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: spqr351, Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests