Appealing a rejection after a much higher June LSAT score?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jdhopeful11

Appealing a rejection after a much higher June LSAT score?

Postby jdhopeful11 » Wed May 26, 2010 12:44 am

Anybody have any stories that would encourage appealing a rejection on the grounds of a significant increase in LSAT score, and small increase in LSDAS GPA, during the same cycle?

whuts4lunch

Re: Appealing a rejection after a much higher June LSAT score?

Postby whuts4lunch » Wed May 26, 2010 12:48 am

I'd be curious to know this as well.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Wed May 26, 2010 12:48 am

dude. just reapply in september. that way you get to take a year off and do something that involves beaches, hookers, and blow.

whuts4lunch

Postby whuts4lunch » Wed May 26, 2010 12:49 am

haha good point

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Wed May 26, 2010 12:53 am

not trying to take a year off

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Wed May 26, 2010 2:37 am

If you use the search forum, there was a thread a while back this admit cycle by a TLS'er who successfully did this (at Wisconsin I think). Before that, I'd never heard of it working, and it remains very rare. By the time June scores come back, most schools will have locked in their classes, or might be pulling one or two from the waitlist . . . not much incentive to admit a former denial when the next years cycle begins in a couple months. But whatever, try it, the worst they can do is say no, but just they almost certainly will say no.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Wed May 26, 2010 2:45 am

jayn3 wrote:dude. just reapply in september. that way you get to take a year off and do something that involves beaches, hookers, and blow.

I was under the impression you were a woman. If that is the case, nice. If not, nice.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Wed May 26, 2010 3:41 am

amputatedbrain wrote:If you use the search forum, there was a thread a while back this admit cycle by a TLS'er who successfully did this (at Wisconsin I think). Before that, I'd never heard of it working, and it remains very rare. By the time June scores come back, most schools will have locked in their classes, or might be pulling one or two from the waitlist . . . not much incentive to admit a former denial when the next years cycle begins in a couple months. But whatever, try it, the worst they can do is say no, but just they almost certainly will say no.

I've read the thread about the Wisconsiner awhile back but I believe he/she took the LSAT sooner before the cycle ended. I don't think that schools would have their classes locked in by the end of June though. People are still in the process of committing to schools during that time.

And HOT DAMN! I had no idea that schools only pulled one or two from the waitlist; I mean I know its a longshot, but only 1 or 2???????

vexion

Postby vexion » Wed May 26, 2010 7:09 am

andyman wrote:I've read the thread about the Wisconsiner awhile back but I believe he/she took the LSAT sooner before the cycle ended. I don't think that schools would have their classes locked in by the end of June though. People are still in the process of committing to schools during that time.

And HOT DAMN! I had no idea that schools only pulled one or two from the waitlist; I mean I know its a longshot, but only 1 or 2???????

It depends on the specific school and their yield. Yale pulls almost no one from the waitlist because everyone who gets in goes there. I would wager that T2 state schools pull a lot more as people who had it as their safety commit somewhere better.

And people are not still in the process of committing to schools by the end of June. Our school's second deposit deadline was due on May 14th, and they've already had a nice little wave of reserve admits.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed May 26, 2010 11:23 am

andyman wrote:
amputatedbrain wrote:If you use the search forum, there was a thread a while back this admit cycle by a TLS'er who successfully did this (at Wisconsin I think). Before that, I'd never heard of it working, and it remains very rare. By the time June scores come back, most schools will have locked in their classes, or might be pulling one or two from the waitlist . . . not much incentive to admit a former denial when the next years cycle begins in a couple months. But whatever, try it, the worst they can do is say no, but just they almost certainly will say no.

I've read the thread about the Wisconsiner awhile back but I believe he/she took the LSAT sooner before the cycle ended. I don't think that schools would have their classes locked in by the end of June though. People are still in the process of committing to schools during that time.

I think amputatedbrain is saying that they only pull a very small number of people (e.g. 1 or 2) off of the waitlist in June. As a whole, more people than that typically get off the waitlist.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Wed May 26, 2010 6:22 pm

So the consensus seems to agree that even though a June LSAT puts me in par with the school's medians, that the chances that I will be offered acceptance for the current cycle are slim?

I'm gonna try anyway :D

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Wed May 26, 2010 8:45 pm

The "1 or 2" part of the comment wasn't meant to be taken literally . . . but you have the right idea, go for it and try . . . as long as you are realistic about the extremely long odds

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”