Advantages of Applying ED?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
balzern

Advantages of Applying ED?

Postby balzern » Tue May 25, 2010 2:36 pm

Hey!!

I am thinking about applying to Pitt Law ED and was wondering if there are any advantages in applying ED...my lsat is a 157 and gpa 3.48..Pitt's lsat median is a 159 and their 25th percentile is a 157. Their gpa median is a 3.4...any suggestions would be helpful/ guidance regarding the likelihood of admittance to schools where one's lsat is at the 25 or between the 25-75th percentile and gpa is at the median. Thanks again!!

lawgunner75

Re: Advantages of Applying ED?

Postby lawgunner75 » Tue May 25, 2010 2:44 pm

I think it varies by school, but I applied to Minnesota ED, with GPA and LSAT numbers around their 30th percentile, and got in. Granted, I have several years of really good work experience and great LORs, but I do think the school considers the impact that ED has on their yield, as you are required to attend if they admit you. Good luck!

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Tue May 25, 2010 2:47 pm

Here are the pros/cons in my experience:

Pros: literally a three-week cycle. No worrying and waiting for a response. Let me plan a lot of stuff ahead of time since I knew where I would be heading in December.

Cons: no way to bargain for scholarship money, since I had to withdraw all other applications and promise I would be going to the ED school. (Luckily it's my dream school so I don't feel too bad about it and probably wouldn't have gotten scholly $ anyway.)

balzern

Postby balzern » Tue May 25, 2010 2:51 pm

I am currently a Junior at a nationally ranked liberal arts college and I have pretty good softs as well. Actually I haven't taken the LSAT yet, that was my most recent practice score. My range is 157-163 with an avg. of 159...I was just curious about my chances given my range of scores...haha it is coming down to the June test date and I guess a million things are running through my head lately.

balzern

Postby balzern » Tue May 25, 2010 3:02 pm

bump!

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:20 pm

only one reason to ever apply ED, and that's if you are willing to go to that school, 100%, and pay sticker if you have to (as poster above said it was dream school, so sticker was ok)

otherwise don't do it

pjo

Postby pjo » Tue May 25, 2010 4:10 pm

OP, if you can pull even a 158 I would strongly urge that you NOT go ED at Pitt. Statistcally Pitt places more weight on LSAT than on GPA. your GPA is fine for Pitt...they're not going to care. Another thing that I find strange about pitt is that unlike most other schools that give more money the higher you are above the 75%’s, Pitt does not. Look at LSN, in staters get 12K OOS get 16k…regardless if you have a 160 3.5 or a 165 3.99…its like they make no attempt to give more money to attract better applicants. Rather they give out less money but to a greater amount of applicants. Point is, this could potentially favor you. Theres a few ppl that were waitlisted at Pitt then got admitted w/ 8K, 10k or even 12k later in the cycle when ppl withdrew. I mean I’m not trying to sugarcoat this, with a 157 3.4 you may run the chance of not getting in. But I think if you APPLY EARLY (like late September at the latest) you should get in with a small amount of money.

Logjik

Postby Logjik » Tue May 25, 2010 11:35 pm

So applying ED will prevent you from getting scholarship money and/or bargaining for scholarship money?

So in my case, where I'm looking to lower my debt as low as possible (who isn't lol :D ) it wouldn't be wise for me to apply ED. I would be better off applying in October to a few different schools and see which one offers more? Correct?

Edit:

Stupid question. I didn't realize the full implications of ED.

pjo

Postby pjo » Wed May 26, 2010 8:39 am

Logjik wrote:So applying ED will prevent you from getting scholarship money and/or bargaining for scholarship money?

So in my case, where I'm looking to lower my debt as low as possible (who isn't lol :D ) it wouldn't be wise for me to apply ED. I would be better off applying in October to a few different schools and see which one offers more? Correct?

Edit:

Stupid question. I didn't realize the full implications of ED.

Correct. If you apply ED you will either A) lose any chance of getting scholarship money or B) get less in scholarship than you would have had you applied regular decision. You seem to have figured out the “law school game” (i.e. applied to places and leverage other schools’ schollies to get top $ at the school you want). The problem is, as I have said, Pitt doesn’t buy into this. They very rarely “match” peer schools’ scholly offers. One of my good friends was significantly above both of Pitt’s 75%’s and had full and ½ rides to schools in the top 30. He wanted to go to Pitt but they refused to match or even give him more than the standard instate 12k/yr (needless to say he opted for a T10 school instead). Sadly I think this is Pitt’s greatest attribute and biggest flaw. They are able to make it fairly cheap for a lot of people to attend; however, they don’t play the numbers game which means they lose A LOT (imo) of people who would add much to the student body to T30 and T20 schools bc they don’t give those students more money to come to Pitt. Point is OP, no… I would no apply ED to Pitt b/c I think you can get in and maybe some scholly. But I doubt you will be able to leverage scholarship from say Villanova, Case, PSU or even Duquesne (i.e. Pitt’s peer schools) to get more money at Pitt.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”