Northwestern and DC Job placement Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Scarlett77

New

Northwestern and DC Job placement

Post by Scarlett77 » Mon May 24, 2010 12:32 pm

I already tried searching and did not exactly find what I really wanted to know. Perhaps I'm bad at searching.

I want to work in the DC area career wise and was just wondering how often Northwestern places people in the DC area? I know it's obvious re: the Chicago market, but DC seems a bit hard to find (at least for me, again, perhaps I am inept at searching).

Thanks!

tallboone

Bronze

Re: Northwestern and DC Job placement

Post by tallboone » Mon May 24, 2010 12:34 pm

Assuming you didn't get into GULC, Virginia or anything ranked higher, Northwestern is a good option. If I was positive that I wanted to live/work in DC and I didn't get into GULC, I would consider going to GW with $$ over Northwestern.

maine08080

New

Post by maine08080 » Tue May 25, 2010 8:30 pm

tallboone wrote:Assuming you didn't get into GULC, Virginia or anything ranked higher, Northwestern is a good option. If I was positive that I wanted to live/work in DC and I didn't get into GULC, I would consider going to GW with $$ over Northwestern.
Okay then. More opinions? *Implied bump*

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Tue May 25, 2010 9:06 pm

I'd take NU over GW w/ $$ in a heartbeat even for DC. Who has to be in a city? NU gives you better prospects overall and I'd rather have a sweet gig in Chicago than a crappy gig in DC. Besides, NU will probably get you to DC. If not, you still have a good shot a great career.

GW gives you better odds of landing a job in DC, but this position probably won't be as good as the job you'll get from NU and GW also offers a higher chance of unemployment. Maybe I'd take GULC over NU for DC, but then again, DC is a preference, a job is a job.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue May 25, 2010 9:27 pm

holydonkey wrote:I'd take NU over GW w/ $$ in a heartbeat even for DC. Who has to be in a city? NU gives you better prospects overall and I'd rather have a sweet gig in Chicago than a crappy gig in DC. Besides, NU will probably get you to DC. If not, you still have a good shot a great career.

GW gives you better odds of landing a job in DC, but this position probably won't be as good as the job you'll get from NU and GW also offers a higher chance of unemployment. Maybe I'd take GULC over NU for DC, but then again, DC is a preference, a job is a job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue May 25, 2010 11:40 pm

nm
Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pu_golf88

Bronze

Post by pu_golf88 » Tue May 25, 2010 11:56 pm

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Tue May 25, 2010 11:59 pm

Northwestern even subtly acknowledges they don't place well in D.C. From their employment statistics page:

Graduates Employed in Major Markets, 2004 - 2008
Chicago 545
New York, Washington D.C., Boston, Philadelphia 322
Los Angeles, San Francisco (Bay Area), Seattle, Denver 138
Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Miami 49
International 12

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed May 26, 2010 12:10 am

nm
Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Wed May 26, 2010 12:29 am

thesealocust wrote:
Let's pick one small firm with a specific geographic preference and specialty. Then lets use it to generalize placement power despite the looming elephant of self selection and sample size.

Great idea!

You can't draw these conclusions on data from such a small scale.
Expand the sample, you'll find the same result.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Wed May 26, 2010 12:33 am

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed May 26, 2010 12:36 am

edited / never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Wed May 26, 2010 9:42 am

thesealocust wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Let's pick one small firm with a specific geographic preference and specialty. Then lets use it to generalize placement power despite the looming elephant of self selection and sample size.

Great idea!

Do you really not get it? You can't play this game this way. Every year, 10% of Northwestern's class will graduate in the top 10% of Northwestern's class. Do you really miss the fact that hmmm, the same people who chose to GO TO LAW SCHOOL IN CHICAGO might not flock towards DC in the same numbers as UVA graduates? Obviously W&C doesn't hire many people from NU - but W&C doesn't hire many people period, and these kinds of hiring decisions have everything to do with connection and region before actual placement power. Penn does better at Wachtell than Michigan... Michigan is a festering TTT in decline?

Your logic is just awful. It is nearly impossible to use these kinds of statistics to figure out placement power.
Some of this comes down to student's self-selecting to non-D.C. locations. One can't prove their placement in D.C. is poor without more data which Northwestern has/will not provide, however, that doesn't prove that their district placement is satisfactory either. What I think is helpful is to look at the data and see how Northwestern spins it compared to its peers. Likewise, firm placement in D.C. can be a useful indicator of how well a law school does in placing graduates in a particular market. On both of these metrics Northwestern comes up wanting. It's always possible that each of these lead to the wrong conclusion, but even allowing for that, where does this situation leave a 0L? More importantly, on what basis can one choose Northwestern for district placement if their isn't enough data to make a choice?

I think if you look at how and where Northwestern places and how they report their graduate placement--those stats I cited earlier have at least 3 obfuscatory strategies applied, strategies mostly unique to Northwestern--the conclusion you reach is that they either don't have pull in D.C. and are attempting to conceal that fact, or that for some reason the stats available are subtly hinting in the wrong direction. Why bother with Northwestern in either case?

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Wed May 26, 2010 9:43 am

Last edited by quakeroats on Wed May 26, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed May 26, 2010 9:53 am

Northwestern doesn't have to pull of MVPDG in DC. I think it's a combination of DC firms being particularly conscious of historical prestige and strong self-selection at NU that limits the alumni base. People who got into NU probably could've gotten into GULC and if they wanted DC they would've gone there instead.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:58 am

thesealocust wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

Great idea!

Do you really not get it? You can't play this game this way. Every year, 10% of Northwestern's class will graduate in the top 10% of Northwestern's class. Do you really miss the fact that hmmm, the same people who chose to GO TO LAW SCHOOL IN CHICAGO might not flock towards DC in the same numbers as UVA graduates? Obviously W&C doesn't hire many people from NU - but W&C doesn't hire many people period, and these kinds of hiring decisions have everything to do with connection and region before actual placement power. Penn does better at Wachtell than Michigan... Michigan is a festering TTT in decline?

Your logic is just awful. It is nearly impossible to use these kinds of statistics to figure out placement power.
ITT UVA rising 2Ls troll against UVA.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”