Use of a GPA addend?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
clintone88

Use of a GPA addend?

Postby clintone88 » Mon May 24, 2010 12:40 am

I know it's absurdly early to probably actually be thinking about this, but I'm curious, so I thought I would ask for some input. I'm in an electrical engineering major at a school with rather difficult grading (7 4.0s total in a 107 year history). My cumulative GPA is 3.31, with an extremely strong upward trend (3.85 this, my junior, year). I had a 3.3 cumulative my freshman and sophomore years, with a 3.1 my first semester of my 3rd year, however due to heavy drug use, a 1.9 my 2nd semester 3rd year. I realized I was essentially screwing up my life, got control of myself, and retook every class I took that 1.9 gpa semester with a 3.9 the replacement semester. Due to my retaking a semester, I've decided to just take an entire extra year, and I'm getting minors in math and physics for the hell of it essentially, which should hopefully put my final cumulative GPA at ~3.35 if I continue to get 3.8 or above. Do you think it's worth it to write an addendum to explain the 1.9 gpa semester, that I have matured past what I was doing then and do not plan to allow drugs to affect my life ever again, or no?

Thanks

James Bond

Re: Use of a GPA addend?

Postby James Bond » Mon May 24, 2010 12:45 am

I think you definitely need an addendum for that semester. Now...whether or not you should call yourself out for heavy drug use is another thing. I think leaving it at "excessive partying" or simply "being immature" would remove any potential stigma from you, and drug use carries a heavy one. You have the right spin on it, growing up and all, but I'm not sure if "former druggie" is how you should label yourself to the adcom.

clintone88

Re: Use of a GPA addend?

Postby clintone88 » Mon May 24, 2010 12:54 am

James Bond wrote:I think you definitely need an addendum for that semester. Now...whether or not you should call yourself out for heavy drug use is another thing. I think leaving it at "excessive partying" or simply "being immature" would remove any potential stigma from you, and drug use carries a heavy one. You have the right spin on it, growing up and all, but I'm not sure if "former druggie" is how you should label yourself to the adcom.

Yeah, I would word it much more delicately than drug use in the addendum, thanks for the advice

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”