Is it a mistake to plan for a transfer post 1L?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tweaker4

Is it a mistake to plan for a transfer post 1L?

Postby Tweaker4 » Sun May 23, 2010 8:18 pm

I have a shot at getting into a few schools in the T75-100 range. I will be moving to the Denver area after school but I've been turned down by the University of Denver (and had no shot at UC Boulder). I'm a returning student with a few years of solid professional experience under my belt, a low UGPA (2.5) and a decent LSAT (163) that I think I could improve (I was practicing in the low 170's). I believe my UGPA was the obvious stumbling block for admission to University of Denver. Would I be better served by spending a year at a school comparable to Denver (looking to be in the top 15% of my class) and trying to transfer in, or should I take a year to work and try to better my LSAT to the point that they're compelled to make me an offer?

Also, if there are any people working or going to school in the Denver area, any guess as to whether the market is uncommonly accepting of outside JD's due to the geographic isolation and relative lack of local schools? My big fear is that I take the leap to attend a midwestern school and end up with a degree that will get me nowhere in the market that I have to move to.

Thanks in advance for your help!

primusux

Re: Is it a mistake to plan for a transfer post 1L?

Postby primusux » Sun May 23, 2010 9:09 pm

Retake LSAT. If you're PT in 170's under strict conditions, no reason to accept a 163.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Sun May 23, 2010 9:18 pm

primusux wrote:Retake LSAT. If you're PT in 170's under strict conditions, no reason to accept a 163.

+1. Annnd in before someone tells you to NEVER GO TO A SCHOOL WITH THE INTENT TO TRANSFER!!!!

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun May 23, 2010 9:19 pm

megaTTTron wrote:NEVER GO TO A SCHOOL WITH THE INTENT TO TRANSFER!!!!

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Sun May 23, 2010 9:20 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
primusux wrote:Retake LSAT. If you're PT in 170's under strict conditions, no reason to accept a 163.

+1. Annnd in before someone tells you to NEVER GO TO A SCHOOL WITH THE INTENT TO TRANSFER!!!!

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Sun May 23, 2010 9:22 pm

Tweaker4

Postby Tweaker4 » Mon May 24, 2010 12:25 pm

A few points. First, the transfer I would like to make is practically lateral in terms of rankings. My LSAT's are significantly above the median for both schools already. I'm not looking to crack the T14, I just want to get a degree from the local T2 school in the region I intend to practice. Second, I'm 27, married, and ready to start a family soon. I do not want to delay the start of my legal education if I can at all avoid it.

Iconoclast

Postby Iconoclast » Mon May 24, 2010 3:38 pm

Tweaker4 wrote:A few points. First, the transfer I would like to make is practically lateral in terms of rankings. My LSAT's are significantly above the median for both schools already. I'm not looking to crack the T14, I just want to get a degree from the local T2 school in the region I intend to practice. Second, I'm 27, married, and ready to start a family soon. I do not want to delay the start of my legal education if I can at all avoid it.

You can start school with a goal of transferring after 1L, but you need to be 100% willing to graduate with a degree from where you started - and willing to live with the consequences of that degree (geographical limitations and reasonable salary/employment expectations).

You *MIGHT* do well enough to transfer. Your target school "MIGHT* accept you as a transfer student. It is also likely that you will not do well enough to be a transfer candidate. And even if you do, there is no guarantee that you will be accepted as a transfer student no matter how well you do.

Incoming transfer students also face some uphill battles even after they transfer to a new school. It can have an effect on OCI, law review, etc... depending on the policies of the target school. You will also be leaving your social network. The people at your new school will have already formed into their study groups, social cliques, etc. And you will have to learn the differences in procedural stuff (exam software differences, policy stuff, different resources at the library, etc...)

You will also have to deal with finding a new place to live, redoing loans(I think?) and the other hassels involved with moving.

A transfer is not easy to obtain, and comes at a cost even when successful. You really need to consider the cost of waiting a year and trying again at your target school against both the likelyhood and potential costs of trying to transfer.

Taking a year to improve your application, retake the lsat, and save up some money is significantly less risky than starting now and trying to transfer.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”