Should I Apply? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HopefulLawyer

New

Should I Apply?

Post by HopefulLawyer » Sun May 23, 2010 7:02 pm

I've looked at this forum a couple of times, and I have decided to make an account and ask this question.

So, back in December I took the LSAT on a sort of a dare. One of my coworkers said that since I have a college degree from my state school (Oklahoma State), I might as well take the test and see what law schools I get into. As of now I haven't applied to any schools, but I did get some mailings from schools that are still accepting applications. I sort of screwed the pooch in undergrad and came out with a pretty low GPA (~2.6), but I did okay on my LSAT and pulled off a 151. I am not sure that I want to go to law school, but I guess anything beats working in a warehouse, right? So, any advice on what schools to apply to, and what schools are worth my application fee?

Thanks.

kalvano

Diamond

Re: Should I Apply?

Post by kalvano » Sun May 23, 2010 7:06 pm

No. Do something else.

/ thread.

HopefulLawyer

New

Post by HopefulLawyer » Sun May 23, 2010 7:16 pm

kalvano wrote:No. Do something else.

/ thread.
Can you explain why you think that? Also, that isn't very considerate for you to say that the thread should end just because you said so - you must have a pretty high opinion of yourself.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun May 23, 2010 7:18 pm

Because a 2.6 and a 151 won't get you in anywhere decent at all.

/ thread.

HopefulLawyer

New

Post by HopefulLawyer » Sun May 23, 2010 7:20 pm

kalvano wrote:Because a 2.6 and a 151 won't get you in anywhere decent at all.

/ thread.
What do you consider decent?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HopefulLawyer

New

Post by HopefulLawyer » Sun May 23, 2010 7:20 pm

Also, can't you take the bar from any law school?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun May 23, 2010 7:21 pm

HopefulLawyer wrote:I've looked at this forum a couple of times, and I have decided to make an account and ask this question.

So, back in December I took the LSAT on a sort of a dare. One of my coworkers said that since I have a college degree from my state school (Oklahoma State), I might as well take the test and see what law schools I get into. As of now I haven't applied to any schools, but I did get some mailings from schools that are still accepting applications. I sort of screwed the pooch in undergrad and came out with a pretty low GPA (~2.6), but I did okay on my LSAT and pulled off a 151. I am not sure that I want to go to law school, but I guess anything beats working in a warehouse, right? So, any advice on what schools to apply to, and what schools are worth my application fee?

Thanks.
Do you want to be a lawyer? If no, then don't apply.

Otherwise, you need to study for the LSAT. Taking it cold, on a dare is fucking stupid. The test is very learnable, you might be able to get as high as 165 if you study your ass off.

HopefulLawyer

New

Post by HopefulLawyer » Sun May 23, 2010 7:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
HopefulLawyer wrote:I've looked at this forum a couple of times, and I have decided to make an account and ask this question.

Thanks.

Otherwise, you need to study for the LSAT. Taking it cold, on a dare is fucking stupid. The test is very learnable, you might be able to get as high as 165 if you study your ass off.
I work in a warehouse - pretty much a dead-end job. Wouldn't having a law degree give me options/be an improvement?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun May 23, 2010 7:22 pm

HopefulLawyer wrote:

/ thread.

Somewhere with a respectable name and decent job prospects.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun May 23, 2010 7:23 pm

HopefulLawyer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Thanks.

I work in a warehouse - pretty much a dead-end job. Wouldn't having a law degree give me options/be an improvement?

Not for the cost.

joonhp

Bronze

Post by joonhp » Sun May 23, 2010 7:23 pm

You'll find many people on this forum have high opinions of themselves.

It really depends on what you want to do with your law degree. Seems to me that you aren't even sure you want to be a lawyer in the first place, and just based on that fact I would tell you to think seriously about it. Your numbers will not put you in position for scholarship money so that's a ton of debt you will take on unless of course you can already cover 150K plus. Do you want to take on that kind of debt when you aren't even sure you want to pursue law? If you're serious about law school, retake the LSAT. A 151 with no preparation is not that bad as I've seen a lot worse. Prepare for the exam and apply early.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun May 23, 2010 7:23 pm

HopefulLawyer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Thanks.

Not from a school that will take a 2.6/151. Honestly you'd probably just fail out and be stuck with 60K in student loans.

HopefulLawyer

New

Post by HopefulLawyer » Sun May 23, 2010 7:24 pm

kalvano wrote:
HopefulLawyer wrote:

/ thread.

Not everyone can go to Harvard. What tier should I shoot for or leave it off?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HopefulLawyer

New

Post by HopefulLawyer » Sun May 23, 2010 7:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
HopefulLawyer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Thanks.

Not from a school that will take a 2.6/151. Honestly you'd probably just fail out and be stuck with 60K in student loans.
Woah, cmon, I plan to work hard if I go to LS.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun May 23, 2010 7:25 pm

That depends, would you like to have $1,500 a month in loan payments and make the same you do now...or less?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun May 23, 2010 7:26 pm

I'm calling Shenanigans. Nobody this clueless knows about law school tiers.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun May 23, 2010 7:26 pm

HopefulLawyer wrote:
kalvano wrote:
HopefulLawyer wrote:

/ thread.

Not everyone can go to Harvard. What tier should I shoot for or leave it off?
Anything below T2 is ridiculously stupid. Nothing below T14 unless you are going for free or have a family member who will hire you. Outside of T14, plan to live in whatever region the school you attend is in.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun May 23, 2010 7:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'm calling Shenanigans. Nobody this clueless knows about law school tiers.
Yeah...flame or biggest idiot ever

HopefulLawyer

New

Post by HopefulLawyer » Sun May 23, 2010 7:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'm calling Shenanigans. Nobody this clueless knows about law school tiers.
The tiers are listed on the main page of this website...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun May 23, 2010 7:29 pm

HopefulLawyer wrote:
Well if you are going to "work hard", work hard on your LSAT.

HopefulLawyer

New

Post by HopefulLawyer » Sun May 23, 2010 7:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
HopefulLawyer wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier just to do well my first semester and then transfer?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun May 23, 2010 7:30 pm

blhoward2 wrote: Nothing below T14 unless you are going for free or have a family member who will hire you.

This is patently ridiculous as well.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun May 23, 2010 7:31 pm

HopefulLawyer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
HopefulLawyer wrote:

Flame.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun May 23, 2010 7:31 pm

kalvano wrote:
blhoward2 wrote: Nothing below T14 unless you are going for free or have a family member who will hire you.

This is patently ridiculous as well.
I agree it's an over generalization. I meant it as advice for this guy...not people in general.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun May 23, 2010 7:34 pm

kalvano wrote:
HopefulLawyer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
HopefulLawyer wrote:

Flame.
Hopeful you fucking retard, the point of a flame is to make people believe a crazy story. Not to tell a stupid believable one. What is the fun in that?

Go suck a dick.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”