Unique Situation - Need Advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
WarChief

Unique Situation - Need Advice

Postby WarChief » Sun May 23, 2010 1:51 am

edit
Last edited by WarChief on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

halfwaygone

Re: Unique Situation - Need Advice

Postby halfwaygone » Sun May 23, 2010 4:19 am

Obviously, check with the schools, but I cannot imagine a law school not allowing you a deferment because of military leave. I just cannot imagine it.

Could you imagine if that story was picked up as a human interest by the news? The law school would look horrible.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sun May 23, 2010 4:23 am

halfwaygone wrote:Could you imagine if that story was picked up as a human interest by the news? The law school would look horrible.

Now that's thinking like a lawyer! :wink:

We appreciate your service OP.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Sun May 23, 2010 6:39 am

I agree with halfwaygone. I'd apply now and once you get in, request a deferment. Even schools that typically don’t give out deferments state that they will for special circumstances -- I can't think of any other circumstance more special then what you'll need it for.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Sun May 23, 2010 12:10 pm

I can't imagine a reason why a school would not give you a deferment in your situation...

WarChief

Postby WarChief » Sun May 23, 2010 12:49 pm

edit
Last edited by WarChief on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Sun May 23, 2010 12:55 pm

I looked into simultaneously doing Army Reserve and law school. Every officer I spoke with discouraged me from juggling the two responsibilities. They just don't seem very compatible in light of the war.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun May 23, 2010 2:08 pm

My best guess is that you may end up on a lot of waitlists if you reveal your military status on your application.

WarChief

Postby WarChief » Sun May 23, 2010 9:12 pm

edit
Last edited by WarChief on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mhernton

Postby mhernton » Sun May 23, 2010 9:29 pm

Warchief, don't worry about the deployment. Most schools understand, you end up taking a leave of absence from the program, you just need to make sure you can graduate within 5 years of your start date. That's the ABA's rules. I completed all of my applications and even took the LSAT while deployed. I don't recommend that path, but it can be done. You have to make special arrangements with LSAC to do it, and it just was a pain in the ass, in addition to not really being able to study. Once you mobilize as a reservist, you can't be force to mobilize for 5 years, so you need not worry about having you law school education interrupted again. Talk with your command once you are enrolled. They may choose to leave you behind. It doesn't really bode well for promotion, but if you wanted to get past major or LCol, you would have stayed on active duty. This war has been ongoing for almost ten years, and there were other wars prior to this that called reserves up. Your situation, is strange but hardly unique. I'll continue to serve in the Reserves while I'm in Law School. Frankly the extra money from Drill weekends is needed, and Uncle Sam understands your situation pretty well. I was also in the reserves during business school, my XO and CO understood where my priorities we're when there was a conflict, and usually figured our a way to accommodate me. Just communicate with your senior staff and let them know what's going on. In not active duty where the mission is your life. Most people understand people are juggling full careers, family other things and service. Good Luck

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”