What softs to mention?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dabbadon8

What softs to mention?

Postby dabbadon8 » Sun May 23, 2010 1:23 am

Wondering what value, if any, a couple of my activities hold... I've had summer internships at the miami district attorney's office and a small IP firm.
More specifically I was wondering if playing in/managing a band(opened for national acts like Doobie Brothers/Kansas) and being social chair in my frat were worth including in my application via personal statement or resume. Thanks.

Mattalones

Re: What softs to mention?

Postby Mattalones » Sun May 23, 2010 1:41 am

These sort of things really depend a lot on your writing ability. If you can make it sound amazing, the obvious answer is "yes." Written the way that you put it in the post, I would imagine that several poster, especially many of the more doom'n gloom type of posters on TLS, would say, "no. Those things aren't worth mentioning unless you totally remade the orgs into something amazing from nothing, in which case you should just apply to B-school." However, I believe that a very talented writer can spin things in a way such that they will be of benefit.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Sun May 23, 2010 2:35 am

obvi mention the internships. the band and frat are more questionable. i'm not saying leave them out entirely, but i'd probably just list them on my resume under "other interests/activities." beyond the time you commited to them, they're not terribly relevant and likely won't make much of a difference......sorry =\

halfwaygone

Postby halfwaygone » Sun May 23, 2010 4:16 am

dabbadon8 wrote:Wondering what value, if any, a couple of my activities hold... I've had summer internships at the miami district attorney's office and a small IP firm.
More specifically I was wondering if playing in/managing a band(opened for national acts like Doobie Brothers/Kansas) and being social chair in my frat were worth including in my application via personal statement or resume. Thanks.

I can see slipping the frat thing or band thing onto a resume somewhere maybe, if you're trying to give a little "color" (look, I'm an actual person), but I don't see how highlighting them will help you. I was Greek, too, but I usually try to downplay it unless I know I'm talking to other Greeks. Too many stereotypes. Also, maybe just me, but I don't think "Doobie Brothers" should ever be on a resume for professional anything.

The Miami D.A. office seems the most impressive to me. I don't see why you wouldn't put all internships on your resume.

This is more my experience with writing resumes --- I'm very good at getting interviews and even jobs, particularly those I'm bad at and under-qualified for --- than law school. So take it with a grain of salt.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Sun May 23, 2010 6:44 am

dabbadon8 wrote:Wondering what value, if any, a couple of my activities hold... I've had summer internships at the miami district attorney's office and a small IP firm. <--( Highlight this amazing oppourtunity you had)
More specifically I was wondering if playing in/managing a band(opened for national acts like Doobie Brothers/Kansas) and being social chair in my frat were worth including in my application [strike]via personal statement or[/strike] resume. <--(List it on your resume, but I wouldn't focus too heavily on it. The adcomms are made up of real people. Some who may or may not have a preconceived notion of the frat boy. It's best to not focus on something with such negative connotations. )Thanks.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”