Shameless... another "Please read my LOCI" thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NUMB3RFIFTY

Shameless... another "Please read my LOCI" thread

Postby NUMB3RFIFTY » Sat May 22, 2010 9:53 pm

This is an honest plea for help.

I'm the first person from my family to even apply to graduate school. I wasn't accepted to any schools, but in some sort of freak occurrence, I was wait listed at my top choice.

I already sent them a brief message, saying that i would like to remain on the wait list.

I attended a recent campus tour and got some information about the school that I really liked. Now I'm writing them a final LOCI, talking about my visit and expressing how it's the school for me.

Please give it a read, and don't be afraid to tear it up. As long as the bashing is constructive... bring it on...

I am writing you today to convey my strong continuing interest in attending XX XX School of Law. I would like to thank you for giving my application serious consideration, and for evaluating my qualifications carefully. XX XX remains my number one choice, and I would withdraw all other applications, if offered a seat.

I was originally drawn to your school because of high praise from practicing lawyers whom I know personally. My recent visit heavily reinforced my notion that XX XX is the right place for me.

When picking a school, I searched for a place that harbored comradery between students but also offered a dose of friendly competition. XX XX, I had heard, was a place that provided such an environment and my visit last week confirmed this, as the tour guide brought the Student Mentor Program to my attention. Mentorship is something I have come to appreciate heavily in my many years of youth guidance through community service. It truly sounded like a program that I would thoroughly utilize while attending and something to which I could add significant value when I approach graduation.

As the tour continued, I was impressed by the immense amount of resources the school provides for its students. The most interesting resource however, was the Law Career Services office. After speaking to a member of the staff, and hearing the level of honest commitment to placing graduates in appropriate jobs; it was confirmed in my mind, that XX XX genuinely cares about its student body and that it’s the place for me.

If possible, I would also like some input on: How to close the letter, if i should mention that the tour guide was really great, and if i should say that I really like the campus. Also I said "place for me" twice... what else could i say?

Thanks for your help, i really appreciate it.

Drake014

Re: Shameless... another "Please read my LOCI" thread

Postby Drake014 » Sat May 22, 2010 10:12 pm

Did anyone else read the thread title real quick and think he was requesting that shemales read his LOCI?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sun May 23, 2010 2:55 pm

iheartlaw

Postby iheartlaw » Sun May 23, 2010 3:06 pm

agreed. you need to tailor it more to the particular school. almost every school has healthy competition, mentor programs, and a law career services. Instead tell me a out the XYZ clinic that your school offers, or tell me about a few distinguished professors that really caught your eye, tell me about the law certificate you want to earn from that school and why that school is the perfect place for you to get it at. I hope you get what I am trying to say. Dig deeper. Do more research. Go to that school's website, talk to students who attend the school. Find out what the school really prides itself on and write your LOCI with all of this in mind. Good luck.

NUMB3RFIFTY

Postby NUMB3RFIFTY » Sun May 23, 2010 6:36 pm

iheartlaw wrote:agreed. you need to tailor it more to the particular school. almost every school has healthy competition, mentor programs, and a law career services. Instead tell me a out the XYZ clinic that your school offers, or tell me about a few distinguished professors that really caught your eye, tell me about the law certificate you want to earn from that school and why that school is the perfect place for you to get it at. I hope you get what I am trying to say. Dig deeper. Do more research. Go to that school's website, talk to students who attend the school. Find out what the school really prides itself on and write your LOCI with all of this in mind. Good luck.

@Drake014... lol...

@iheartlaw...

Because of the timing of my wait list, the first available tour was the day after the schools commencement, so there were no classes in session for me to observe. However I'm going to take your advice about the other stuff and weave it into the LOCI. Thanks for taking the time to read it and for your honest/constructive advice.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”