application deadlines

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kristinadyl1

application deadlines

Postby kristinadyl1 » Sat May 22, 2010 5:52 pm

I will be finished with my BS degree in June 2011, and I am taking my LSAT this June. Am I able to apply for law school for Fall 2011? Many of my school choices have deadlines of Feb or March. Will they wait until my transcripts are sent or do I have to wait another year and a half to begin law school? I am new at this and really don't have much help. Any advice would be great! :D

Barolo

Re: application deadlines

Postby Barolo » Sat May 22, 2010 5:58 pm

Deadline starts with the word 'dead'. That is essentially what your chances will be if you wait. Apply early. You have a much better chance of getting into better schools if you do.

Good luck.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sat May 22, 2010 5:59 pm

Yes. You are on the quarter system? This is no different than anyone finishing in May and going directly to law school the following fall. The university you matriculate to will probably want a transcript from the degree-granting institution verifying that you have completed your degree before classes start, or you will lose your seat. It's just like applying to universities before you graduate from high school.

If you're happy with your LSAT score in June, be sure to apply early. Outside of LSAT and GPA, the single biggest factor determining the quality of school you can get into and the amount of scholarship money you receive is the date on which your application is received.

kristinadyl1

Postby kristinadyl1 » Sat May 22, 2010 6:15 pm

OK. So after I take my LSAT and recieve my score, I can start applying even though my degree won't actually be finished until June 2011. It will be done before classes start at any law school though. Will I get an answer from the law schools before my degree is finished? I take 10 week terms at Kaplan University. Each law school I looked into says to apply early so I am kind of freaking out! I would like to start applying as early as this Fall. My only set back is my degree.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sat May 22, 2010 6:20 pm

kristinadyl1 wrote:OK. So after I take my LSAT and recieve my score, I can start applying even though my degree won't actually be finished until June 2011. It will be done before classes start at any law school though. Will I get an answer from the law schools before my degree is finished? I take 10 week terms at Kaplan University. Each law school I looked into says to apply early so I am kind of freaking out! I would like to start applying as early as this Fall. My only set back is my degree.

I still think the answer is yes, but you may want to contact the admissions offices of the universities to which you apply. I have no idea if online colleges are treated differently, and despite Kaplan's accreditation, they may be.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sat May 22, 2010 6:21 pm

And you can absolutely begin applying fall of senior year, so long as you have a baccalaureate degree before beginning law school.

kristinadyl1

Postby kristinadyl1 » Sat May 22, 2010 6:59 pm

thank you sooooo much for your help

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”