W&L vs. UNC?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

W&L vs. UNC?

Postby pelican » Sat May 22, 2010 2:31 pm

W&L- $24,000/year Scholarship. Yearly tuition after scholarship: $14,875.

UNC- In-State, no scholarship. Yearly tuition: $16,314.

Bottom line, the cost will be roughly the same, so money isn't a significant factor here. I am not certain where I want to work after law school, but I am fairly sure I will choose to remain in the southeast. I am also uncertain what area of law I would like to focus on.

As of now, I have already paid $1500 in seat deposits at W&L and have already signed a lease for an apartment in Lexington. The only reason this question is coming up so late in the game is because UNC offered me a spot off their wait list yesterday, so now I'm giving the matter some serious thought.

I like Lexington and I think I would thrive in a small town. I also like Chapel Hill just fine. I'm most likely going to stick with W&L, but would just like some further input on this decision. Is anybody well informed about the respective strengths and reach of the two schools? Any strong weaknesses? Any advice why I should choose one over the other?

Johannes de Silentio

Re: W&L vs. UNC?

Postby Johannes de Silentio » Sat May 22, 2010 5:00 pm

It sounds to me as though you can't really make a wrong choice here. I'd go with the school that you think is in most keeping with your background and personality. Where would you feel more comfortable?

Postby Barolo » Sat May 22, 2010 5:45 pm

Essentially peer schools. Cost is slightly higher at UNC and COL would broaden that gap. You've already thrown some cheese at W&L -- how much would it hurt to lose that? Also, what would it cost to break the lease? If you knew you wanted NC, then UNC would be TCR. But you don't specifically want NC. Despite the recent ratings drop, I think W&L enjoys some historical prestige and, in fact, is a totally solid school. I'd stick with W&L, but I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sat May 22, 2010 6:24 pm

W&L. You already know the answer I think.

Postby traehekat » Sat May 22, 2010 8:16 pm

If you know you want to do public interest/government, I would lean towards UNC. Otherwise, it is pretty much a toss up and I would go with wherever you have a better feel for. Normally I don't suggest going with the "gut feeling" approach, but like another poster mentioned, you can't really go wrong either way.

Good luck and congrats getting off the UNC waitlist. There was a time when I would have been thrilled to go to UNC... then I went through their application process and like many others, I have been left bitter and jaded. :P

Postby Grizz » Sat May 22, 2010 8:32 pm

Both schools basically feed small markets.

Schools for UNC market - limited T14, UNC, Wake

Schools for VA, especially DC - W&L, W&M, George Mason, T-14, probably a couple I forgot, too.

Go with UNC. Less competition.

Postby YCrevolution » Sun May 23, 2010 2:59 pm

Postby jaxangler » Mon May 24, 2010 2:08 pm

I think both are great choices, and clearly have a bias towards W&L since that is where I will be going. That being said, you really can't make a bad choice here. If you want to live in NC, go to UNC. If not go to W&L.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”