2.45(UGPA)/155(LSAT) [!!!URGENT ADVICE REQUIRED!!!]

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: 2.45(UGPA)/155(LSAT) [!!!URGENT ADVICE REQUIRED!!!]

Postby Matthies » Sun May 23, 2010 1:37 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Fortunately, on the internet, I don't necessarily need to keep my civility about the issue on the same level as I do elsewhere. I'm generally very helpful around here,

[Insert the "welcome to TLS" picture]


That's becuase your too scared to open your mouth in public :P

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: 2.45(UGPA)/155(LSAT) [!!!URGENT ADVICE REQUIRED!!!]

Postby acrossthelake » Sun May 23, 2010 2:24 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Finally, I wanna reply to the comment earlier about rich people having it harder than middle class or poor people because they don't work as hard. I think this can definitely be the case when the parents don't instill good values or work ethic. I stand by what I said earlier: if I somehow am able to make a lot of money, marry into wealth, etc., I will make my kids work hard. I won't be giving Romothesavior Jr. any BMWs for his birthday. My kids will be required to work, and I mean real jobs that all young kids should work: restaurants, retail, local park district, etc. Teaching your kids work ethic, good spending habits, and values is the most important thing a parent can do.


Teaching work ethic and good spending habits is important, but actually making them work jobs isn't the be all end all to instilling those values. I'd say that it has more to do with the example you set. I say this just because I was always irritated at one of my friends growing up who was "worried" that I "wouldn't get" how to "deal with money" because I never worked a part-time job in high school. I wasn't even allowed to work part-time jobs in high school--my parents wanted me to focus on schoolwork, my other activities, etc. I started working jobs in college voluntarily and, to my friend's great surprise, actually am pretty good with the whole work ethic, spending habits thing. My mother is extremely responsible and smart with her money and I naturally mimicked her behavior when it came time to do so.


@ OP: As someone who gets the Asian thing with parents and how they get to choose your life paths, really, don't do this lawyer thing just because your parents are telling you to. At some point you need to break free and strike out on your own path---even *gasp* without their financial support. I know it's rough, but do you really want them to still be dictating your life choices like 10 years from now?

fenway
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:30 pm

Re: 2.45(UGPA)/155(LSAT) [!!!URGENT ADVICE REQUIRED!!!]

Postby fenway » Sun May 23, 2010 3:35 pm

if you don't have to worry about debt.. and you don't have to worry about a job.. then I think it'd be a decent move to go to Cooley. The school fits your numbers (and presumably your capability) so you wouldn't have to worry about being over your head. if you end up outperforming your incoming stats then you can (potentially) transfer. if not you can "chill" at Cooley and spend 3 years without 99% of the stress that comes with going to law school (debt/job). That being said, you are going to have to have some pretty sick connection(s) to get a job coming out of Cooley. But considering it sounds like your parents could bail you out financially anyways, you really do have very little risk in making the decision to attend. Although I think it's kind of weird that your parents have such great influence over you at this age, it's not exactly a bad corner to be boxed into (here's 180 gs, don't bother yourself with class rank, just make sure you graduate somehow so you can walk into a job...word?!) the "law school isn't for everyone" axiom is predicated on having a likelihood of negative consequences. you have none, so it does not apply to your case IMO

User avatar
TCScrutinizer
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: 2.45(UGPA)/155(LSAT) [!!!URGENT ADVICE REQUIRED!!!]

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sun May 23, 2010 3:57 pm

I think the notion that Cooley will be a breeze if he does what he did in undergrad is erroneous. Cooley is notorious for failing a significant portion of its 1L's (wiki says the attrition rate is 31.8%), and the workload is supposed to be intense.

fenway
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:30 pm

Re: 2.45(UGPA)/155(LSAT) [!!!URGENT ADVICE REQUIRED!!!]

Postby fenway » Sun May 23, 2010 4:28 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote:I think the notion that Cooley will be a breeze if he does what he did in undergrad is erroneous. Cooley is notorious for failing a significant portion of its 1L's (wiki says the attrition rate is 31.8%), and the workload is supposed to be intense.


sorry, I wasn't clear about this. i put chill in " " because if he flunked out it wouldn't matter (in his particular case). your point is certainly valid concerning his potential for failure based on prior record (although his numbers consolidated make up a pretty standard Cooley app) but again, having the OP's setup makes for a relatively "chill" (not synonymous with easy) experience at school compared to a regular student at Cooley or anywhere else for that matter.

engineer
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:51 am

Re: 2.45(UGPA)/155(LSAT) [!!!URGENT ADVICE REQUIRED!!!]

Postby engineer » Sun May 23, 2010 5:10 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote:I think the notion that Cooley will be a breeze if he does what he did in undergrad is erroneous. Cooley is notorious for failing a significant portion of its 1L's (wiki says the attrition rate is 31.8%), and the workload is supposed to be intense.


The workload at ANY law school is intense. I don't know how much different the curricula between Yale, Harvard, ..., and Cooley are, but I can't imagine that the level of intensity would vary too much. The caliber of the students, however, is why Cooley has such a high attrition rate. Law school is unforgiving, and the people who matriculate at Cooley aren't the ones who are used to working their ass off. In law school, that's just something you have to do. Period.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 2.45(UGPA)/155(LSAT) [!!!URGENT ADVICE REQUIRED!!!]

Postby Grizz » Sun May 23, 2010 5:25 pm

Image

User avatar
TCScrutinizer
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: 2.45(UGPA)/155(LSAT) [!!!URGENT ADVICE REQUIRED!!!]

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sun May 23, 2010 7:46 pm

engineer wrote:
TCScrutinizer wrote:I think the notion that Cooley will be a breeze if he does what he did in undergrad is erroneous. Cooley is notorious for failing a significant portion of its 1L's (wiki says the attrition rate is 31.8%), and the workload is supposed to be intense.


The workload at ANY law school is intense. I don't know how much different the curricula between Yale, Harvard, ..., and Cooley are, but I can't imagine that the level of intensity would vary too much. The caliber of the students, however, is why Cooley has such a high attrition rate. Law school is unforgiving, and the people who matriculate at Cooley aren't the ones who are used to working their ass off. In law school, that's just something you have to do. Period.


I'm sure the workload is hard everywhere; that's inherent in the point I'm trying to make. Just because Cooley is a TTTT doesn't mean that it's a cakewalk. In fact, it's worse because the school grades out a certain percentage of 1Ls in order to keep their bar passage rates at their already mediocre level.

User avatar
atlantalaw
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:37 am

Re: 2.45(UGPA)/155(LSAT) [!!!URGENT ADVICE REQUIRED!!!]

Postby atlantalaw » Sun May 23, 2010 8:11 pm

and don't forget cutthroat. students at schools like cooley have to claw their way to the top just to have a chance of survival. at the best schools, students can be competitive but nice to each other. at cooley students must backstab.

engineer
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:51 am

Re: 2.45(UGPA)/155(LSAT) [!!!URGENT ADVICE REQUIRED!!!]

Postby engineer » Sun May 23, 2010 11:45 pm

atlantalaw wrote:and don't forget cutthroat. students at schools like cooley have to claw their way to the top just to have a chance of survival. at the best schools, students can be competitive but nice to each other. at cooley students must backstab.


Yeah, I'm sure that it varies where you are. But let's face it...unless you're at a school that doesn't grade or rank, there will be a LOT of competition. I mean, I go to school someplace hailed as on of the least cutthroat schools in the country, but you can cut the tension with a knife during finals and once grades are released. It's almost disgusting--people go out of their way to act like they don't give a shit when they do. Times are tough, the economy sucks, and people need more than a j.d. to be competitive because there are a ton of new law schools opening up daily.

That reminds me... once we get our law degrees, who wants to start an online law school a la the university of phoenix? I think it could be pretty elite.

icydash
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:53 pm

Re: 2.45(UGPA)/155(LSAT) [!!!URGENT ADVICE REQUIRED!!!]

Postby icydash » Sun May 23, 2010 11:59 pm

engineer wrote:That reminds me... once we get our law degrees, who wants to start an online law school a la the university of phoenix? I think it could be pretty elite.

haha i'm in!

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: 2.45(UGPA)/155(LSAT) [!!!URGENT ADVICE REQUIRED!!!]

Postby trialjunky » Mon May 24, 2010 7:16 am

engineer wrote:
atlantalaw wrote:and don't forget cutthroat. students at schools like cooley have to claw their way to the top just to have a chance of survival. at the best schools, students can be competitive but nice to each other. at cooley students must backstab.


Yeah, I'm sure that it varies where you are. But let's face it...unless you're at a school that doesn't grade or rank, there will be a LOT of competition. I mean, I go to school someplace hailed as on of the least cutthroat schools in the country, but you can cut the tension with a knife during finals and once grades are released. It's almost disgusting--people go out of their way to act like they don't give a shit when they do. Times are tough, the economy sucks, and people need more than a j.d. to be competitive because there are a ton of new law schools opening up daily.

That reminds me... once we get our law degrees, who wants to start an online law school a la the university of phoenix? I think it could be pretty elite.


IN!! Dont freaking leave me out of this!! We will make money hand over foot




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: vm223 and 4 guests