2.45(UGPA)/155(LSAT) [!!!URGENT ADVICE REQUIRED!!!]

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Matthies

Re: 2.45(UGPA)/155(LSAT) [!!!URGENT ADVICE REQUIRED!!!]

Postby Matthies » Sat May 22, 2010 9:35 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
thecountofmc wrote:Thanks for everyone's advice, but here's more of my background and things I don't have to consider:

Additional info:
(1) I come from a decently wealthy family so debt is NOT a problem at all. Tuition is not even a consideration for me.
(2) I don't have much say in my future; so it's law school or bust.
(3) University: Double Major in Political Science and Economics
(4) Job Prospects: Governmental/Corporate Consultant
(5) Schools I am awaiting replies: Michigan StateU, NYLS, etc...
(6) I heard taking the LSAT too many times (like 4 times), hurt admission chance.

I appreciate everyone telling me take a year/few years off to study/work/etc... but realistically, my family really wants me to just get a law degree. According to their plans I just need to get a law degree and they will try to find legal connections after law school, etc... But I am less optimistic and hope I make the correct decision about my future (just in case its not all sunshine and daisies as they may think).
Regarding Cooley, it seems like the general consensus is that Cooley may not be the way to go... however, Cooley is a safety net for me, so I am still hesitant to remove it from my calculations.

Also, I understand distancing myself from my GPA is a good option, but would getting a job as a bank teller or government service employee be such a good idea? I hear people do WORSE in law school after they join the work force since its hard to get back into studying again.

P.S. I'll keep my thread titles less like what you'd see in your spam box from not on ;)

/facepalm

How does it make you feel when people who are born with nothing compared to the advantages you've been given manage to out-perform you in every way? Just curious.

Makes me feel like they know thier place, as the landed genrty I'm all for you poors puuling yourself up by your boots straps, social climbing and starching your way to middle managment. So long as you don't try and join my country club or date my duaghter. Work and goals are good for you people.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat May 22, 2010 10:11 pm

Iuvo wrote:I found his saying 'I have no problem with money, my family is very wealthy' pretentious. He could have just said 'money to attend isn't a problem.'

It's a simple statement of fact. If someone acts like their money makes them better than others, then it's pretentious and dickish.

RSN_M3

Postby RSN_M3 » Sat May 22, 2010 10:28 pm

kalvano wrote:
Iuvo wrote:I found his saying 'I have no problem with money, my family is very wealthy' pretentious. He could have just said 'money to attend isn't a problem.'

It's a simple statement of fact. If someone acts like their money makes them better than others, then it's pretentious and dickish.

This. Iuvo just sounds like one of those individuals who is jealous what someone else has.

thecountofmc

Postby thecountofmc » Sat May 22, 2010 11:04 pm

Wow, this totally went a different direction that I thought it would.

Yes, I can understand many people flaming at me for being lazy, not having a backbone, etc etc... Everyone has a different lifestyle, this is the one I was raised and grew up in. I apologize if I sounded pretentious to some, but I just posted that information so TLS netizens would not bring up the issue of scholarships or debts into the equation.

The reason my GPA was so low was as Thirteen suspected, I did horribly in some of my economics and mathematics courses. I had (and still have) a passion for my political theory and constitutional law courses; I'm not being completely forced into the legal profession.

Like I said before, I appreciate the comments and hope to hear more (good or bad since this is the interweb after all :P)

Iuvo

Postby Iuvo » Sun May 23, 2010 1:25 am

RSN_M3 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

This. Iuvo just sounds like one of those individuals who is jealous what someone else has.

Or he's just pretentious. Like ToTransferorNot said, a lot of people looking to go to law school had so many more burdens than the OP has had, yet they are able to score 165+ or get a GPA over 3.0. Quite frankly, I don't think the OP deserves admission to anything unless he goes into the workforce for a few years. Sounds like things have been handed to him.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun May 23, 2010 1:37 am

Iuvo wrote:Or he's just pretentious. Like ToTransferorNot said, a lot of people looking to go to law school had so many more burdens than the OP has had, yet they are able to score 165+ or get a GPA over 3.0. Quite frankly, I don't think the OP deserves admission to anything unless he goes into the workforce for a few years. Sounds like things have been handed to him.

who are you to decide what another person does or does not deserve? lol ok. he got into an LS and maybe his fam can get him a job... no skin off your teeth man

Iuvo

Postby Iuvo » Sun May 23, 2010 1:41 am

I can decide whether someone deserves something. It doesn't mean they'll not get it.

Poor student X works his ass off to excel in school, scores a decent amount on the LSAT, applies for job at firm Y, firm Y impressed by credentials.
OP slacks off all through college, can't even manage a 160 on the LSAT. Daddy calls firm Y, firm Y gives OP the job.

I don't think anyone can say that the OP deserved the job over the poor student X.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun May 23, 2010 1:45 am

Iuvo wrote:I can decide whether someone deserves something. It doesn't mean they'll not get it.

Poor student X works his ass off to excel in school, scores a decent amount on the LSAT, applies for job at firm Y, firm Y impressed by credentials.
OP slacks off all through college, can't even manage a 160 on the LSAT. Daddy calls firm Y, firm Y gives OP the job.

I don't think anyone can say that the OP deserved the job over the poor student X.

God complex much...

Iuvo

Postby Iuvo » Sun May 23, 2010 1:45 am

True.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun May 23, 2010 1:49 am

OP:

1) take the 130,000 your parents would spend at Cooley
2) invest it wisely
3) find another job

I really mean no malice when I say this but: if a couple of hard classes you didn't like is your explanation for a 2.45, and you're positive 155 is your cerebral limit for the LSAT, and Cooley is the respective launching pad for your legal career. Sometimes it's better to cut your lost invested time in this whole process and find something else.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun May 23, 2010 1:58 am

Are you Asian?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun May 23, 2010 2:10 am

rayiner wrote:Are you Asian?

that's racist!

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Sun May 23, 2010 2:32 am

IAFG wrote:

that's racist!

Actually, I believe that's an interrogative statement, the question mark on the end and all.

Also, maybe law school isn't for you. There is not shame in it, you just didn't lay the groundwork early enough to have a chance now. Hindsight is 20/20 so just look elsewhere.

LateNight

Postby LateNight » Sun May 23, 2010 2:51 am

thecountofmc wrote:(2) I don't have much say in my future; so it's law school or bust.

DO NOT GO TO LAW SCHOOL. If you see nothing in your future without law school you surely will have nothing in your future with it.

It sounds like you have some serious growing up to do. A 2.45 GPA is terrible, what were you doing in college?? A few hard classes shouldn't sink your GPA to a C, at worst you should be at a 3.3 with a mix of classes at different levels. I am inclined to think you didn't study hard and didn't care since your parents were "fairly wealthy", I could be wrong.

You should have given thought to your future before your ruined your UGrad GPA by not putting in the hours required to succeed.

If you really want to go to law school go to Cooley.
---Don't expect a job
---Don't expect to pass
---Don't expect anything -- except for your parents to pay for school and be bitter at you.

You don't even want to be a lawyer, you just want to go to law school because you have no other options, a terrible reason to do anything. If your heart isn't in it 100% you will fail out of Cooley or graduate at the bottom of your class at a bottom rate school. You need to change the way you operate and go out get a real job, even if it means flipping burgers for a few years.

Your low GPA shows that you aren't self-motivated and your low LSAT score, three times, shows that you can't make up for it by being ridiculously smart. There are plenty of splitters here with terrible GPA's that go to law school, but they ROCK the LSAT and are generally far out from their UGrad GPA's.

Sorry to be a dick, but welcome to the real world. Unless you take the LSAT again and get a good score (like upper 160s) I see no reason why the words "law school" would ever enter your mind; unless you really want to be miserable and give your parents money to someone else.

Find your passion. Pursue it. Law school should not be a default option; it will only end badly.

Barolo

Postby Barolo » Sun May 23, 2010 3:15 am

Actually, sounds like OP and Cooley are a match made in heaven.

Go for it!

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Sun May 23, 2010 7:32 am

thecountofmc wrote:Wow, this totally went a different direction that I thought it would.

Yes, I can understand many people flaming at me for being lazy, not having a backbone, etc etc... Everyone has a different lifestyle, this is the one I was raised and grew up in. I apologize if I sounded pretentious to some, but I just posted that information so TLS netizens would not bring up the issue of scholarships or debts into the equation.

The reason my GPA was so low was as Thirteen suspected, I did horribly in some of my economics and mathematics courses. I had (and still have) a passion for my political theory and constitutional law courses; I'm not being completely forced into the legal profession.

Like I said before, I appreciate the comments and hope to hear more (good or bad since this is the interweb after all :P)

First, I'm pretty sure this is a flame. Actually, I'm hoping for OP's sake that this is a flame.

On the small chance this isn't a flame, OP law school just isnt cut out for you.

thecountofmc wrote:The reason my GPA was so low was as Thirteen suspected, I did horribly in some of my economics and mathematics courses.

To have a 2.45, you didn't do horrible in SOME of your classes. You did horrible in MOST of your classes. Your gpa to me is a better predictor of law school success, can you put the work in to study and get good grades. Combine this with your LSAT and I don't know what you're thinking. Cooley gets a lot of flack on TLS...for the right reasons.

If you HAD to go to law school because you couldn't possibly see yourself in any career. I would do the following:
-Get into a graduate program
-Work in a law related field
-Wait at least 4 to 5 years to reapply
-Apply as soon as applications are released

thecountofmc

Postby thecountofmc » Sun May 23, 2010 10:00 am

What gave it away ;)?

And unfortunately I am not a flame... I'm just someone who realized I "screwed up" the first 20 so years of my life and want to get back on track again :) If I don't get admissions into any of my other school choices I think I will get a job for a few years and hopefully will be more mature (mentally and emotionally) for law school by then!

I was prepared to be flamed when I made the thread (being a veteran forum-troll and all) but what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. So thanks for everyone's comments (especially those that gave supportive ones :)) It was fun reading everyone's opinions.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun May 23, 2010 11:48 am

Iuvo wrote:Or he's just pretentious. Like ToTransferorNot said, a lot of people looking to go to law school had so many more burdens than the OP has had, yet they are able to score 165+ or get a GPA over 3.0. Quite frankly, I don't think the OP deserves admission to anything unless he goes into the workforce for a few years. Sounds like things have been handed to him.

Money doesn't equal intelligence. Nor does a lack of money equal a lack of intelligence.

One of my good friends comes from an exceedingly wealthy family. As in, they could buy their own island. He's super nice, not pretentious at all, and probably couldn't make above a 150 on the LSAT no matter how much tutoring he got.

Money is a fact of life. Some people have more than others. Some people will have opportunities handed to them, others will have to work for it. It's all in your attitude about it. Someone who thinks their money makes them better is a pretentious dick, but someone who thinks that just because a person has money means they are automatically pretentious, have lived life on easy street, and don't deserve anything isn't much better.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sun May 23, 2010 11:53 am

I don't think that people who are born with money are automatically pretentious, etc.

I do think that they should be able to reach a higher level of achievement per point of native intelligence than someone who was born poor, though.

I get frusterated when I see people who have thrown away the opportunities they were born with, because I think of people I grew up with, and what they could have done with their lives if they had been provided those same opportunities. Is it a somewhat bitter way to approach life? Yeah, sure, but having a chip on my shoulder and a constant need to prove my worth has gotten me pretty far.

Fortunately, on the internet, I don't necessarily need to keep my civility about the issue on the same level as I do elsewhere. I'm generally very helpful around here, but something about OP just made me :evil:

[Insert the "welcome to TLS" picture]

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun May 23, 2010 11:55 am

You must want to punch your TV a lot.

AffirmativeOffense

Postby AffirmativeOffense » Sun May 23, 2010 11:57 am

I'm about to tell you something that is harsh, but will save you years of life and a lot of money: law school isn't for you. Go find another career that you're better suited for. You'll be happier elsewhere.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun May 23, 2010 12:07 pm

OP, I wasn't flaming you... and I don't necessarily think you are pretentious. You aren't coming off as "holier-than-thou" to me, you just come off as spoiled and naive. Neither of those are really your fault. Perhaps your parents failed to push you to succeed. It is fairly obvious that your cushy lifestyle has poisoned your ability to work hard. A 2.45 is atrocious, and a 155 is pretty bad too.

It would be one thing if you were a slacker but smoked the LSAT with a 170+, or if you were a bad test-taker (155) with a 4.0. In either case, you would show some sort of potential to succeed in law school and you would have some pretty good law school options. Cooley is a terrible option. I would bet big money on you failing out and wasting a bunch of money on a year at law school. And even if you do graduate, I would imagine your odds of getting a well-paying job are slim. I know a girl who is a public defender with a degree from Cooley, and she was near the top of her class pre-ITE. She wanted to go big law or even mid-law, but nobody would hire her. Now she's making 30k defending low-level criminals in some rural county. Does that sound appealing to you? I think you drastically overestimate the power of your "contacts."

Finally, I wanna reply to the comment earlier about rich people having it harder than middle class or poor people because they don't work as hard. I think this can definitely be the case when the parents don't instill good values or work ethic. I stand by what I said earlier: if I somehow am able to make a lot of money, marry into wealth, etc., I will make my kids work hard. I won't be giving Romothesavior Jr. any BMWs for his birthday. My kids will be required to work, and I mean real jobs that all young kids should work: restaurants, retail, local park district, etc. Teaching your kids work ethic, good spending habits, and values is the most important thing a parent can do.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Sun May 23, 2010 12:11 pm

And unfortunately I am not a flame... I'm just someone who realized I "screwed up" the first 20 so years of my life and want to get back on track again :)

Just know going to Cooley will not constitute getting back on track again.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Sun May 23, 2010 12:53 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
And unfortunately I am not a flame... I'm just someone who realized I "screwed up" the first 20 so years of my life and want to get back on track again :)

Just know going to Cooley will not constitute getting back on track again.

TITCR...also, lmao

Mroberts3

Postby Mroberts3 » Sun May 23, 2010 1:22 pm

delBarco wrote:OP:

1) take the 130,000 your parents would spend at Cooley
2) invest it wisely
3) find another job

I really mean no malice when I say this but: if a couple of hard classes you didn't like is your explanation for a 2.45, and you're positive 155 is your cerebral limit for the LSAT, and Cooley is the respective launching pad for your legal career. Sometimes it's better to cut your lost invested time in this whole process and find something else.

I can't believe it took 3 pages for someone to come up with this. My first thought was take the money and run.

Also, OP, are your parents lawyers? If so, and they are pushing you into law school, how would they not see the benefit to taking time off before retaking the LSAT?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”