Interaction with Adcoms that Influenced Your Choice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tru

Interaction with Adcoms that Influenced Your Choice

Postby tru » Fri May 21, 2010 2:46 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uwb09

Re: Interaction with Adcoms that Influenced Your Choice

Postby uwb09 » Fri May 21, 2010 5:29 pm

it ended up not being a deciding factor, but i definitely noticed the effect the schools adcomms had on my perception of the school, for example:

Seattle U - constantly kept in contact, held a spring visit day in late may, sent me a hand written post card thanking me for my deposit saying they looked forward to seeing me next fall, etc...

Santa Clara - only thing i've gotten from them since my acceptance packet was financial aid packet and an email with an academic calender. When i paid my first deposit to them, i got what basically amounted to a credit card statement "thank you for your payment, your next payment is due june 1st"

If i hadn't visited santa clara first hand, and talked to some students and faculty, i prob would've written them off because of it

wouldn't be surprised if schools lost out on some recruiting battles just based purely on their lack of personal touch with admitted students

on the other hand, a school can be overly personal and kinda scare you off (*cough* McGeorge *cough*). at first I thought the hand written comment to my personal statement was nice, but then came the dozens of emails, and the phone calls. And then after I withdrew came the begging, and the offering of higher scholarships, and the voicemails.

some schools get it, some don't

Bert

Postby Bert » Fri May 21, 2010 5:39 pm

I dinged Loyola LA because I felt they were giving me a run around. I asked for scholarship money (note, every other school to which I applied to offered some money except LLS) and they wrote me back indicating that I wouldn't be reconsidered for money until after I had paid the first seat deposit. Maybe thats SOP for all schools, I honestly don't know, but I couldn't justify paying the LLS seat deposit knowing that the offer was to attend LLS at sticker. Its a shame, because at the time I really really liked LLS and would have accepted their admissions offer if they came close to matching my other scholly's (and we are not talking a lot).

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Fri May 21, 2010 5:40 pm

When I unexpectedly got a big scholarship increase from one school I asked another school for a week to think about it a they only gave me a weekend. I ended up not going there and I might have if I'd had time to contact current students and professors.

Barolo

Postby Barolo » Sat May 22, 2010 5:57 pm

Ethan Rosenzweig at Emory was fantastic. He knew who I was when I called and made me feel right at home when I visited. I'll look forward to seeing him in the halls over the next three years.

Brett Twitty at W&L also deserves an honorable mention. Paul Pless at Illinois gets a nod for being very responsive.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Sun May 23, 2010 7:44 am

Yes and no, Adcoms who wrote hand notes about something actually in my application packet I gave a thumbs up. However, I also took into consideration the atmosphere at the law school, cost to me and such...

Ultimately, it came down to cost for me. If cost wasn’t a factor, I might have made a different decision in some respects in April.

tru

Postby tru » Mon May 24, 2010 2:24 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xnegd

Postby Xnegd » Mon May 24, 2010 2:32 pm

Daytukrjabs wrote:Adcom from Berkeley....

let's just say I withdrew rather quickly.

I posted about this a while ago. I had an experience with the Berkeley Admins that was horrible, this one gal went out of her way to be as nasty as possible.

I had asked her what her position was, and she asked me if I was blind or couldn't read [her name-tag]. When I pointed out she didn't have a tag on at the moment, she looked at me like she wished I was dead, and ignored me and wouldn't answer any more question. It was a horrific time. I probably should have e-mail Dean Tom, who is really awesome (I hear).

However, Berkeley's my Alma matter and I know the law professors there whom I love dearly. So, I can't say this changed my decision seeing as they are still my #1 choice by far. Had I not known this though, I would probably be hating them right now with every fiber.

tru

Postby tru » Mon May 24, 2010 2:36 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Mon May 24, 2010 2:46 pm

I got hooked up with a 15k/yr scholarship after meeting with an adcom when I didn't think that I was going to even be accepted. It's like a job interview; it can go either way.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”