GPA Advice Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
romothesavior

Diamond

GPA Advice

Post by romothesavior » Fri May 21, 2010 12:22 pm

Wow... I haven't started my own thread to ask a question in a long time, I feel like a noob again. I searched the forums but couldn't find a sufficient answer. Anyways, here goes...

My LSAC GPA when I applied was a 3.76. It exactly matched my undergrad GPA. Now, my undergrad GPA just shot up to a 3.791. I got all As and one A- this spring, and I got "back credit" for my honors research paper (5 credits of Incomplete turned into an A).

So here's my issue: That A- I got this semester was in the most blow-off of all senior blow-off classes. It was a poetry broadside publishing class where we just showed up, picked a poem to print as a class, and worked in the printing press lab. We had no homework or anything, no real assignments. It was a joke, and I have no idea how I got this A-. And note: I NEVER bitch about my grades, and there is really nothing wrong with an A-. I have gotten plenty of them with no complaints over my 4 years.

Still, this grade irks me for two reasons:
1. I have never gotten a 4.0 in a semester in undergrad. I have gotten all As and an A- three times, but never straight As. (This is just a personal goal of mine, but not really a big deal)

2. If that A- had been an A, my cumulative ugrad GPA would have been a 3.796. My undergrad leaves GPAs out to the thousandth, so I would still be under 3.8 at my undergrad (no summa cum laude for me :cry: ). But my question is this: since LSDAS cuts off GPAs at the hundredth, would they round up to 3.8? I feel like being able to say "I raised my GPA to a 3.8" would be decent fodder for a LOCI, and updating my LSDAS file with a 3.8 would look good as well. The difference between a 3.79 and a 3.80 is small, but I do think there is a perception difference. I know this wouldn’t be an earth shattering development as an applicant, but when you’re on a WL or you’re trying to negotiate scholly money, every little bit helps.

So does LSDAS round up to the nearest hundredth? Should I talk to the prof (who I have a good relationship with) about why I got the grade I did? Or should I just leave it alone?

Dany

Diamond

Re: GPA Advice

Post by Dany » Fri May 21, 2010 12:52 pm

I tried to find an answer to this because, and I'm not joking, my GPA is a 3.796. That's so odd that yours would be exactly the same. I've looked all over TLS and LSAC's site but haven't found any info; I hope someone here can help us out.

Also, I would suggest talking to the professor. You really don't have anything to lose, so I'd bring in any examples of your work in the class and reasons why you earned an A. He's not going to lower your grade, and the worst he can do is say no.

If all else fails, I mailed in my 3.796 transcript to LSAC on Monday for fall applications, so if it goes through soon, I'll let you know if they round it up or not!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri May 21, 2010 12:56 pm

I can't answer your question, but I want to point out that appellate work often involves a substantial amount of assembly work regarding briefs & other filings similiar to that done in your poetry publishing course.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:58 pm

That A- I got this semester was in the most blow-off of all senior blow-off classes. It was a poetry broadside publishing class where we just showed up, picked a poem to print as a class, and worked in the printing press lab.
Sounds like you lucked out IMO. In my day we had to blow east indian TA's, while doing fourier transforms for an A-.

Honestly, it probably won't hurt, but it also probably won't help. Unless the school you are looking at has a GPA median just at 3.8. Then it might be huge.

CMoreBusiness

New

Post by CMoreBusiness » Fri May 21, 2010 6:17 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =6&t=98947

Here is a link I had asking the same question. I think they said 2 decimal places

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Fri May 21, 2010 6:39 pm

eskimo wrote:I tried to find an answer to this because, and I'm not joking, my GPA is a 3.796. That's so odd that yours would be exactly the same. I've looked all over TLS and LSAC's site but haven't found any info; I hope someone here can help us out.

Also, I would suggest talking to the professor. You really don't have anything to lose, so I'd bring in any examples of your work in the class and reasons why you earned an A. He's not going to lower your grade, and the worst he can do is say no.

If all else fails, I mailed in my 3.796 transcript to LSAC on Monday for fall applications, so if it goes through soon, I'll let you know if they round it up or not!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed May 26, 2010 12:49 pm

LSAC does round up. I had a 3.796 and LSAC just processed my transcript as a 3.80.

Hope everything works out with the professor/grade!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”