What subject to raise my gpa?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
wolfpack-avvocato
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:38 pm

What subject to raise my gpa?

Postby wolfpack-avvocato » Thu May 20, 2010 10:20 pm

So after 5 years of undergrad I'm finally graduating.........next year. My degree gpa is quite good however my overall is abyssmal. My 3 year journey of being hellbent on medschool while not possesing near the academic maturity to achieve that goal ha left my gpa in tatters.....like literally.... a 2.7 Anyways regardless of what I get on my LSAT I'm considering staying 1 year after graduation to take a bunch of courses to raise m gpa to where it needs to be (seriously, i'm not some mentally handicapped guy with lofty aspirations. Just keep O-chem and physics far far away and Im a pretty good student). Anyways why kind of coursework do you think would be interesting, however not burnout inducing difficult (example of way to difficut for my purposes: engineering). I'm considering history, computer science, philosophy, things that I have always really wanted to take courses in but never did. Any suggestions about my selections? Or add your own?

Oh ya background: By the time I do this I will have my BS in economics.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: What subject to raise my gpa?

Postby merichard87 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:26 pm

Once you graduate you can't raise your LSAC GPA so unless you are willing to push back graduation this is pointless.

User avatar
MGH1989
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: What subject to raise my gpa?

Postby MGH1989 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:27 pm

wolfpack-avvocato wrote:So after 5 years of undergrad I'm finally graduating.........next year. My degree gpa is quite good however my overall is abyssmal. My 3 year journey of being hellbent on medschool while not possesing near the academic maturity to achieve that goal ha left my gpa in tatters.....like literally.... a 2.7 Anyways regardless of what I get on my LSAT I'm considering staying 1 year after graduation to take a bunch of courses to raise m gpa to where it needs to be (seriously, i'm not some mentally handicapped guy with lofty aspirations. Just keep O-chem and physics far far away and Im a pretty good student). Anyways why kind of coursework do you think would be interesting, however not burnout inducing difficult (example of way to difficut for my purposes: engineering). I'm considering history, computer science, philosophy, things that I have always really wanted to take courses in but never did. Any suggestions about my selections? Or add your own?

Oh ya background: By the time I do this I will have my BS in economics.


Philosophy. Some of them can be a bitch, but some can be extremely enthralling. I also took some really interesting religious studies classes.

User avatar
MGH1989
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: What subject to raise my gpa?

Postby MGH1989 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:30 pm

merichard87 wrote:Once you graduate you can't raise your LSAC GPA so unless you are willing to push back graduation this is pointless.



This, but OP can theoretically hold off graduating and take classes to up his GPA.

User avatar
wolfpack-avvocato
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: What subject to raise my gpa?

Postby wolfpack-avvocato » Thu May 20, 2010 10:32 pm

merichard87 wrote:Once you graduate you can't raise your LSAC GPA so unless you are willing to push back graduation this is pointless.

After graduating I'm redeclaring a second major (that I obviously won't complete) so the coursework should still count. Otherwise people who went back to school later to get a different degree and than pursue law school would be screwed.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: What subject to raise my gpa?

Postby merichard87 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:34 pm

Once you get your first degree the courses no longer count toward your LSAC GPA. You still send in the transcripts but they will not count toward the GPA law schools actually look at.

User avatar
wolfpack-avvocato
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: What subject to raise my gpa?

Postby wolfpack-avvocato » Thu May 20, 2010 10:38 pm

merichard87 wrote:Once you get your first degree the courses no longer count toward your LSAC GPA. You still send in the transcripts but they will not count toward the GPA law schools actually look at.

Well poop. Either I should just push graduation back or just go even harder for the LSAT (not sure I can be working much harder at it at this point). Well I guess I could toss some interesting classes in here and there. One this summer, one fall and 2 spring. I mean if I'm selective that's another 12 credits of A's.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: What subject to raise my gpa?

Postby merichard87 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:39 pm

Yep. So its just up to you. And depends on the schools you are targeting. You can also try taking online courses at a local CC while you take your normal classes.

User avatar
MGH1989
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: What subject to raise my gpa?

Postby MGH1989 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:39 pm

wolfpack-avvocato wrote:
merichard87 wrote:Once you graduate you can't raise your LSAC GPA so unless you are willing to push back graduation this is pointless.

After graduating I'm redeclaring a second major (that I obviously won't complete) so the coursework should still count. Otherwise people who went back to school later to get a different degree and than pursue law school would be screwed.


Why don't you just not graduate and pursue a minor or major that you won't finish in order to boost your GPA?

User avatar
wolfpack-avvocato
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: What subject to raise my gpa?

Postby wolfpack-avvocato » Thu May 20, 2010 10:41 pm

The other factor to take into consideration is taking too long to graduate, I mean there's a point where they must question why you were dicking around in UG for 8 years.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: What subject to raise my gpa?

Postby merichard87 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:42 pm

Thats why you make it count by picking up a dual or double major or a minor or two.

User avatar
jdhopeful11
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: What subject to raise my gpa?

Postby jdhopeful11 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:43 pm

merichard87 wrote:Yep. So its just up to you. And depends on the schools you are targeting. You can also try taking online courses at a local CC while you take your normal classes.


+1 :lol:

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: What subject to raise my gpa?

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri May 21, 2010 7:54 am

How did Wolfpack post 3800 times without learning even the most basic information about admissions? Impressive.

User avatar
wolfpack-avvocato
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: What subject to raise my gpa?

Postby wolfpack-avvocato » Fri May 21, 2010 7:33 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:How did Wolfpack post 3800 times without learning even the most basic information about admissions? Impressive.

How do you keep getting banned and it hasn't been permanent yet? Impressive

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: What subject to raise my gpa?

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 21, 2010 7:39 pm

Delay graduation, get that to 3.00 plus. It's an informal cut off for some schools.

User avatar
wolfpack-avvocato
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: What subject to raise my gpa?

Postby wolfpack-avvocato » Fri May 21, 2010 7:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Delay graduation, get that to 3.00 plus. It's an informal cut off for some schools.

That's what I'm starting to think. I just found this dual degree program at my UG in Econ/polisci I'm already done with econ so I could stay one more year and do exclusively polisci stuff. I've already take 4 polisci classes and got all A's so that might be a good choice.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: What subject to raise my gpa?

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 21, 2010 7:46 pm

wolfpack-avvocato wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Delay graduation, get that to 3.00 plus. It's an informal cut off for some schools.

That's what I'm starting to think. I just found this dual degree program at my UG in Econ/polisci I'm already done with econ so I could stay one more year and do exclusively polisci stuff. I've already take 4 polisci classes and got all A's so that might be a good choice.


PoliSci is known for being easy. But 2.7->3.0 is hard with 5 years of credits built up.

Have you taken the LSAT yet?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: What subject to raise my gpa?

Postby vanwinkle » Fri May 21, 2010 7:47 pm

wolfpack-avvocato wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Delay graduation, get that to 3.00 plus. It's an informal cut off for some schools.

That's what I'm starting to think. I just found this dual degree program at my UG in Econ/polisci I'm already done with econ so I could stay one more year and do exclusively polisci stuff. I've already take 4 polisci classes and got all A's so that might be a good choice.

Sounds like dual degree is the way to go, especially in a subject that's that easy. Pad pad pad as fast as you can.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: What subject to raise my gpa?

Postby A'nold » Fri May 21, 2010 8:01 pm

If the history program is anything like it was at my school, stay away. There was this one crazy professor that curved her class of 6.

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: What subject to raise my gpa?

Postby James Bond » Fri May 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Wolfpack, my man! If it makes you feel any better, you and I are in a very similar boat. Keep the faith, and knock the LSAT out of the park. Someone will bite. Someone has to make up the <25th GPA percentile :wink:

User avatar
wolfpack-avvocato
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: What subject to raise my gpa?

Postby wolfpack-avvocato » Sun May 23, 2010 4:15 am

James Bond wrote:Wolfpack, my man! If it makes you feel any better, you and I are in a very similar boat. Keep the faith, and knock the LSAT out of the park. Someone will bite. Someone has to make up the <25th GPA percentile :wink:

Yo! Mr. Bond its been far too long! Ya at this point I've pretty much come to terms with bringing up the rear of the entering class stats :lol:




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: woojin1287 and 2 guests