3.68 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM (A.A. Male), Stanford Law School???

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Maalik
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 5:33 pm

3.68 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM (A.A. Male), Stanford Law School???

Postby Maalik » Thu May 20, 2010 7:45 pm

Hi everyone,

Upcoming senior - University of Maryland, College Park
22 y/o African American male (URM)
Econ major
3.87 GPA (Univ. of Maryland cumulative)

Im taking the LSAT in December & praying to each & every "god" that I perform well. My diagnostic was a 165. However, I do have a few blemishes in my academic history. I have a horrible transcript from a community college that’s pulling down my LSAC GPA. I went to a junior college in 2006 & was going through a rough patch in my life. I didn’t care much about anything & it reflected in my studies. Somehow I got into a campus in the University of Maryland system. From there, I got the ball rolling & performed well enough to get into the flagship school.


Academic Trajectory:
Maryland Community College
12 Credits 2.0 GPA

University of Maryland, Eastern Shore
Freshman Year (2007-2008)
30 Credits 4.0 GPA

University of Maryland, College Park
Sophomore Year (2008-2009)
33 Credits 3.8 GPA

Junior Year (2009-2010)
33 Credits 3.82 GPA


Assuming I have a comparable senior year, according to the LSAC, my final GPA should be:
Cumulative GPA (by graduation) - University of Maryland: 3.86 GPA
Cumulative GPA (by graduation) - Including JUCO Transcript: 3.7 GPA

As of Today:
Current Cumulative GPA (as of today) - University of Maryland: 3.87 GPA
Current Cumulative GPA (as of today) - Including JUCO Transcript: 3.68 GPA



I've been dreaming of attending Stanford Law School for the last few years. I'm applying to the entire T-14 but, if I find a way into SLS, I won't entertain any other options. What score on the LSAT will I need to have a “shot” at Stanford? Also, when I apply to Law School, how much of a factor will my JUCO transcript have on my application?


Sorry for writing so much..
Last edited by Maalik on Thu May 20, 2010 8:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 3.86 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM (A.A. Male), Stanford Law School???

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 20, 2010 7:48 pm

If you scored a 165 diagnostic, you could easily be in the 170s by December. If you can get in the 172-174 range, you'll have a really good shot to get into Stanford.

hellokitty
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: 3.86 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM (A.A. Male), Stanford Law School???

Postby hellokitty » Thu May 20, 2010 7:50 pm

Don't apply, I don't want you to take my spot! :wink:

Maalik
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Re: 3.86 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM (A.A. Male), Stanford Law School???

Postby Maalik » Thu May 20, 2010 8:13 pm

romothesavior wrote:If you scored a 165 diagnostic, you could easily be in the 170s by December. If you can get in the 172-174 range, you'll have a really good shot to get into Stanford.


I've heard from a few people that Stanford has more of a holistic approach & that it's not as numbers based as say HLS. Is that true?

sluguy14
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:47 pm

Re: 3.86 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM (A.A. Male), Stanford Law School???

Postby sluguy14 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:20 pm

Maalik wrote:
romothesavior wrote:If you scored a 165 diagnostic, you could easily be in the 170s by December. If you can get in the 172-174 range, you'll have a really good shot to get into Stanford.


I've heard from a few people that Stanford has more of a holistic approach & that it's not as numbers based as say HLS. Is that true?


I've heard the same thing.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: 3.86 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM (A.A. Male), Stanford Law School???

Postby d34d9823 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:24 pm

Maalik wrote:
romothesavior wrote:If you scored a 165 diagnostic, you could easily be in the 170s by December. If you can get in the 172-174 range, you'll have a really good shot to get into Stanford.


I've heard from a few people that Stanford has more of a holistic approach & that it's not as numbers based as say HLS. Is that true?

When they say this, they just mean that GPA and softs matter more at Stanford and LSAT matters more at Harvard. They're both still fucking hard to get into.

ncct07
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:24 am

Re: 3.68 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM (A.A. Male), Stanford Law School???

Postby ncct07 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:24 pm

Absolutely no one, URM or otherwise, has gotten into Stanford this year with a 3.6-3.7 gpa and LSAT score of 165-170 on LSN.

Get that score up to a 171+, and your chances improve significantly.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: 3.68 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM (A.A. Male), Stanford Law School???

Postby d34d9823 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:28 pm

OP, you have a shot, but I would feel a lot better if that LSAT was above 170.

Don't take the LSAT without some solid practice, if your diagnostic is 165, you should be able to push to at least 170 with practice. (Practice = taking and redoing PTs)

Take a look at lawschoolnumbers.com if you get a chance.

Maalik
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Re: 3.68 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM (A.A. Male), Stanford Law School???

Postby Maalik » Thu May 20, 2010 8:33 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:OP, you have a shot, but I would feel a lot better if that LSAT was above 170.

Don't take the LSAT without some solid practice, if your diagnostic is 165, you should be able to push to at least 170 with practice. (Practice = taking and redoing PTs)

Take a look at lawschoolnumbers.com if you get a chance.


Thanks man...

User avatar
MartianManhunter
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: 3.68 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM (A.A. Male), Stanford Law School???

Postby MartianManhunter » Thu May 20, 2010 8:37 pm

ncct07 wrote:Absolutely no one, URM or otherwise, has gotten into Stanford this year with a 3.6-3.7 gpa and LSAT score of 165-170 on LSN.

Get that score up to a 171+, and your chances improve significantly.


Shenanigans.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/martianmanhunter

OP: You have a shot. Our (URM) cycles are unpredictable. Write well. Have interesting softs and great recommendations. You should still improve your LSAT score as much as possible, you don't want to leave it to chance. Visit the URM section for some really good advice.

Edit: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/whiskeyguy <- Not URM but shows a well-written application with demonstrable interest in Stanford can get you far.

ncct07
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:24 am

Re: 3.68 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM (A.A. Male), Stanford Law School???

Postby ncct07 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:40 pm

MartianManhunter wrote:
ncct07 wrote:Absolutely no one, URM or otherwise, has gotten into Stanford this year with a 3.6-3.7 gpa and LSAT score of 165-170 on LSN.

Get that score up to a 171+, and your chances improve significantly.


Shenanigans.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/martianmanhunter

OP: You have a shot. Our (URM) cycles are unpredictable. Write well. Have interesting softs and great recommendations. You should still improve your LSAT score as much as possible, you don't want to leave it to chance. Visit the URM section for some really good advice.


Not Shenanigans. Correct on LSN as posted. But congratulations to you!

User avatar
MartianManhunter
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: 3.68 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM (A.A. Male), Stanford Law School???

Postby MartianManhunter » Thu May 20, 2010 8:44 pm

ncct07 wrote:
MartianManhunter wrote:
ncct07 wrote:Absolutely no one, URM or otherwise, has gotten into Stanford this year with a 3.6-3.7 gpa and LSAT score of 165-170 on LSN.

Get that score up to a 171+, and your chances improve significantly.


Shenanigans.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/martianmanhunter

OP: You have a shot. Our (URM) cycles are unpredictable. Write well. Have interesting softs and great recommendations. You should still improve your LSAT score as much as possible, you don't want to leave it to chance. Visit the URM section for some really good advice.


Not Shenanigans. Correct on LSN as posted. But congratulations to you!


Thanks! I s'pose exactly as written you're right, but we ought to consider that even though there aren't people within that band there are people with numbers slightly below or above it that are in. Just attempting to show OP that there's a shot, even an outside one. Obviously he'd be best served by boosting his LSAT score and showing extra Stanford love.

Maalik
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Re: 3.68 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM (A.A. Male), Stanford Law School???

Postby Maalik » Thu May 20, 2010 8:52 pm

MartianManhunter wrote:
ncct07 wrote:
MartianManhunter wrote:
ncct07 wrote:Absolutely no one, URM or otherwise, has gotten into Stanford this year with a 3.6-3.7 gpa and LSAT score of 165-170 on LSN.

Get that score up to a 171+, and your chances improve significantly.


Shenanigans.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/martianmanhunter

OP: You have a shot. Our (URM) cycles are unpredictable. Write well. Have interesting softs and great recommendations. You should still improve your LSAT score as much as possible, you don't want to leave it to chance. Visit the URM section for some really good advice.


Not Shenanigans. Correct on LSN as posted. But congratulations to you!


Thanks! I s'pose exactly as written you're right, but we ought to consider that even though there aren't people within that band there are people with numbers slightly below or above it that are in. Just attempting to show OP that there's a shot, even an outside one. Obviously he'd be best served by boosting his LSAT score and showing extra Stanford love.


Thanks man...

I have all summer & well into next school year to rigorously prepare for the test. Hopefully I can raise my score atleast to 170+. Im definitely going to apply to the entire T-14 & a few safe choices but, I'm completely infatuated with Stanford. :D

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: 3.68 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM (A.A. Male), Stanford Law School???

Postby d34d9823 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:03 pm

Maalik wrote:I have all summer & well into next school year to rigorously prepare for the test. Hopefully I can raise my score atleast to 170+. Im definitely going to apply to the entire T-14 & a few safe choices but, I'm completely infatuated with Stanford. :D

You may know this already, but as alluded to by another poster, Stanford has a very quirky admissions process. Off the top of my head, I know that they ask for "targeted" LORs. I think there's some other quirks as well.

yeff
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:32 pm

Re: 3.68 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM (A.A. Male), Stanford Law School???

Postby yeff » Thu May 20, 2010 9:09 pm

OP, an incoming senior from UMD, should be able to score well over 170 if their diagnostic score of 165 comes from a properly simulated cold preptest.

OP:
1. Why the bolding/italicizing?
2. Head on over to the [url="http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=18"]LSAT subforum[/url] and learn the tricks of the trade, study your pants off, shoot for 180, and hopefully you'll score in the mid-high 170s at least.
3. Make sure to obtain quality Stanford-specific letters of recommendation.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: 3.68 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM (A.A. Male), Stanford Law School???

Postby d34d9823 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:12 pm

yeff wrote:OP, an incoming senior from UMD, should be able to score well over 170 if their diagnostic score of 165 comes from a properly simulated cold preptest.

OP:
1. Why the bolding/italicizing?
2. Head on over to the LSAT subforum and learn the tricks of the trade, study your pants off, shoot for 180, and hopefully you'll score in the mid-high 170s at least.
3. Make sure to obtain quality Stanford-specific letters of recommendation.

FTFY

Maalik
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Re: 3.68 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM (A.A. Male), Stanford Law School???

Postby Maalik » Thu May 20, 2010 9:50 pm

MartianManhunter wrote:
ncct07 wrote:Absolutely no one, URM or otherwise, has gotten into Stanford this year with a 3.6-3.7 gpa and LSAT score of 165-170 on LSN.

Get that score up to a 171+, and your chances improve significantly.


Shenanigans.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/martianmanhunter

OP: You have a shot. Our (URM) cycles are unpredictable. Write well. Have interesting softs and great recommendations. You should still improve your LSAT score as much as possible, you don't want to leave it to chance. Visit the URM section for some really good advice.

Edit: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/whiskeyguy <- Not URM but shows a well-written application with demonstrable interest in Stanford can get you far.


Congrats on your acceptances...thats impressive

Maalik
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Re: 3.68 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM (A.A. Male), Stanford Law School???

Postby Maalik » Thu May 20, 2010 10:05 pm

yeff wrote:OP, an incoming senior from UMD, should be able to score well over 170 if their diagnostic score of 165 comes from a properly simulated cold preptest.

OP:
1. Why the bolding/italicizing?
2. Head on over to the [url="http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=18"]LSAT subforum[/url] and learn the tricks of the trade, study your pants off, shoot for 180, and hopefully you'll score in the mid-high 170s at least.
3. Make sure to obtain quality Stanford-specific letters of recommendation.


Thanks...i'll make sure to do that & as for the bolding, its a quirky habit.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 3.68 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM (A.A. Male), Stanford Law School???

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 20, 2010 10:09 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:OP, you have a shot, but I would feel a lot better if that LSAT was above 170.

Don't take the LSAT without some solid practice, if your diagnostic is 165, you should be able to push to at least 170 with practice. (Practice = taking and redoing PTs)

Take a look at lawschoolnumbers.com if you get a chance.


He should easily be able to get a 170+ with a 165 diagnostic. He has over 6 months to prepare.

OP, if you really push yourself, Stanford is very attainable.

vandy2012
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:31 pm

Re: 3.68 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM (A.A. Male), Stanford Law School???

Postby vandy2012 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:27 pm

Whiskeyguy can claim to be a native american with a 3.9 GPA...

I do not think this serves any other purpose than to show that an URM with an interesting personal statement can get into schools that typcally do not accept non-URMs applicants with equal GPA/ LSAT numbers

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4853
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: 3.68 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM (A.A. Male), Stanford Law School???

Postby Borhas » Thu May 20, 2010 10:29 pm

odd choice of underlining, but just make sure you do well on your LSAT, obviously, not much more can be said

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 3.68 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM (A.A. Male), Stanford Law School???

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:10 pm

As a URM, and one who can write a sappy PS, I think you're good.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: 3.68 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM (A.A. Male), Stanford Law School???

Postby d34d9823 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:12 pm

.
Last edited by d34d9823 on Fri May 21, 2010 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: 3.68 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM (A.A. Male), Stanford Law School???

Postby goodolgil » Fri May 21, 2010 1:20 pm

A 165 is a pretty awesome diag score. No reason to think you can't break 170.

User avatar
TheBigMediocre
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: 3.68 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM (A.A. Male), Stanford Law School???

Postby TheBigMediocre » Fri May 21, 2010 1:31 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
vandy2012 wrote:Whiskeyguy can claim to be a native american with a 3.9 GPA...

I do not think this serves any other purpose than to show that an URM with an interesting personal statement can get into schools that typcally do not accept non-URMs applicants with equal GPA/ LSAT numbers

1. No shit, sherlock

2. That's not the point, OP has legitimate questions in this thread

3. Go away


I think the first part was just correcting MartianManhunter's mistake of saying Whiskeyguy is non-URM. Like you, I disagree with the second paragraph. Unlike you, I'm not overreacting about it.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chili_davis, Wipfelder and 8 guests